Prices food/drink/souvenirs in Riga, Latvia

We have a cruise in July that stops at Riga, Latvia. Trying to estimate how much money to take out in local currency (LVL) before we arrive or once we get to port.

Does anyone know approximate prices of the following in the Old Town area:

-- bottle of water/soda

-- snacks - such as an ice cream or a pastry

-- casual/simple lunch

-- souveniers - simple things such as postcards, magnets, playing cards, shot glasses, etc

-- bathrooms (if not free)

I'm interested, also. Hope someone is able to answer your questions.

I don't mean to take over your post, but thought I'd ask a few more questions. Maybe someone can answer all our questions.

When we get off the ship - What direction should we walk? How close are the sites from each other? Will we be able to just walk around town and see sites, shops, cafe, public restrooms?

Is there a suggested walking tour?

I'm interested, also. Hope someone is able to answer your questions.

I don't mean to take over your post, but thought I'd ask a few more questions. Maybe someone can answer all our questions.

When we get off the ship - What direction should we walk? How close are the sites from each other? Will we be able to just walk around town and see sites, shops, cafe, public restrooms?

Is there a suggested walking tour?

Hi. I had previously googled Riga Walking tours and found one online that I've printed. I don't have the URL, but if you can not find it from googling, reply back on this thread and I'll re-google it and see if I can get the URL for you!

I hear it is about a 15 minute walk into town from where the ships dock. I also hear that many of the cruise lines offer a shuttle into town for a fee (usually $5 pp one way, but various by ship) and that taxis are easily available too at the pier and are about 5-7 LVL. Likewise there are local buses available too.

I googled a lot and found some prices, like 5-7 LVL for a small meal, water is 0.5 - 1 LVL, bathrooms are 1 LVL, and small souvenirs are 1-3 LVL.

Hope that helps some!

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings from Riga!

I can help you with information about my city.

First of all, I dont see point of paying 5$ per person to get a shuttle into Riga Old Town. It is like 10 minutes walk from the ship - I think it is even possible to see the Riga Castle from the ship.

You just get off the ship and walk along the river - you will see the Castle and towers of churches on the left side. You cannot miss it! Old Town is very compact and sites are close to each other. If you want to get out to Art Nouveau district, then it is like 15 minutes walk from the Old Town or from the ship.

Unless you want to hear the story about special places and buildings in Riga, then no need to take any tour. You can easily see everything on your own.

Some approximate prices of the following in the Old Town area:

Bottle of water ~1$; Soda ~1,40$

Ice cream or a pastry ~1$

With condition that you buy these things in kiosks (Narvesen, Plus Punkts etc.) or big stores like Rimi. In cafes and restaurants, of course, will be more expensive.

Simple lunch like pasta or pizza with a drink ~15-20$ per person.

Postcards ~0,6 - 1,2$ Depends on where you buy them - better prices are in the big book stores (Valters&Rapa, Globuss, ZvaigzneABC etc.), not in a small souvenir shops.

Magnets ~3-6$

Playing cards, shot glasses ~5-8$ (I suppose, have never looked for these souveniers)

Bathrooms usually costs ~0,5$ (20 santims). At least I dont know any, which is more expensive.

I hope it was helpful. Feel free to ask more questions.

Archived