March 8 Lord Sheffield

• 1 month later...
I tried to put up a webshots page. Let me know if it needs work. I was careful not to use shots with other passengers in them as I did not get permission to post them. I am assuming Rob and the crew do not mind being in the pictures. Rob, if you read this let me know if you want to be removed.

http://community.webshots.com/user/gonnagocruising

Great pictures! Thanks...considering trying this for our cruise in December!! All the reviews sound great! Thanks again

Great pictures! Thanks...considering trying this for our cruise in December!! All the reviews sound great! Thanks again

I know you will love it. I have been looking at plane fares to St. Maarten just to be able to do that again! Funny thing is, airfare is almost as expensive as the cruise itself.

If you go on the Lord Sheffield, please write your views on it when you get back.

I feel sooooooo lucky! I came across info on The Lord Sheffield a month or so ago and fell in love with her! I was able to convince my traveling companions (my brother, his DW and MIL) to go on The Lord Sheffield excursion with me during our Oct. 30 , 2005 cruise aboard the Mariner.

My, brother, who's not easily impressed and prefers scuba diving excursions, was so interested after seeing pix and talking with the captain that he's foregoing a dive just to sail aboard the LS!

I loved reading all the glowing reviews about the LS because it helped reaffirm my choice of excursions (wouldn't want to steer my kid brother wrong, you know!) and I can hardly wait to step aboard.

I do have a question though. How to the folks get to shore and back while the rest of us snorkel? My sister-in-law has MS, and occasionally walks with a cane and her mom is not young... Captain Bob said they'd have no problems, but just wondered...

Gonna Go Cruising - loved your pix...I could almost smell the sea air as I viewed them as a slide show. Thanks for sharing them with all of us!

Happy cruising..

Cindy

We recently did the LS excursion and had a great time. For the poster asking about life vest for childen and adults, it was my experience that the life vests offered to the children (mine was 3 year old) were rather uncomfortable. I would highly suggested to bring your own for your children. I did and was so grateful, we picked it up at Sam's for a reasonable price, becasue my son would have not been happy in the life vest provided. They were the old style orange colored ones that go over the neck. There was another child traveling with us that had to use the one provided and he look really uncomfortable and not at all happy. Just a thought.

I feel sooooooo lucky! I came across info on The Lord Sheffield a month or so ago and fell in love with her! I was able to convince my traveling companions (my brother, his DW and MIL) to go on The Lord Sheffield excursion with me during our Oct. 30 , 2005 cruise aboard the Mariner.

My, brother, who's not easily impressed and prefers scuba diving excursions, was so interested after seeing pix and talking with the captain that he's foregoing a dive just to sail aboard the LS!

I loved reading all the glowing reviews about the LS because it helped reaffirm my choice of excursions (wouldn't want to steer my kid brother wrong, you know!) and I can hardly wait to step aboard.

I do have a question though. How to the folks get to shore and back while the rest of us snorkel? My sister-in-law has MS, and occasionally walks with a cane and her mom is not young... Captain Bob said they'd have no problems, but just wondered...

Gonna Go Cruising - loved your pix...I could almost smell the sea air as I viewed them as a slide show. Thanks for sharing them with all of us!

Happy cruising..

Cindy

I am glad you liked the pictures. I know Captain Rob will be very accomodating to your special needs. I had heard that some who forego snorkeling have been taken ashore on the "small watercraft thingy" but no one in our trip chose to do so. To reassure yourself, email Rob and be specific. He is very good to answer anything you need to know. Have a wonderful time!

• 7 months later...
Will someone that has been on the LS tour give me an idea of how much the tip should be after it is over?? Thanks much!!

Also......did anyone get seasick??

The tip is totally up to you. 20% just did not seem like enough to tip. I am sure they are happy with whatever you feel comfortable giving.

No one on ours got seasick but they did have some seasick pills on board in case someone needed it. I would say if you are prone to seasickness as a norm, take the precautionary meds.

You will love it. We hope to go again soon.

Were you getting tossed about quite a bit or were the waters calm??

We were not getting tossed around at all. The waters seemed pretty calm to me, but this was my first time ever doing something like this so I cannot compare it to anything. I can tell you that my daughter did have to take phenergan the first night on board the ship but after that was fine, including the Lord Sheffield trip. Captain Rob and crew were top notch and took the time to answer any questions we had.

My daughter says next time she will jump from the crows nest. I am working up the courage to jump from the bowsprit like she did.

I told my family all about the LS excursion tonight and they all thought we should do it and it sounded exciting.

I'm glad one of the ports has been decided on finally.......now I just need to figure out what to do with everyone in St. Thomas???

In St. Thomas we did the Godfrey tour and had him drop us at Coki Beach for snorkeling. It was very nice. I am sure you can find alot of different opinions on what to do though. Have a wonderful time!

What exactly did you do on your Godfrey tour?

Bear with me as it was almost a year ago. He picked us up at the ship at 9am. You have a choice of what time to be picked up. We chose the earliest so we would have three hours to shop. He picks you up in town at noon and drives you around the island, going to the top to see the spectacular views, etc. It was our first time to the islands so we wanted to tour it. Many seem to like to enjoy the beaches all day and next time that is probably what I would do as well. I dont see a need to tour it twice. It was very informative and I am glad we did it. His site is http://www.godfreytoursvi.com/

"I will pick up your group at the Cruise Ship Dock, give them a two hour tour including Bluebeard's Castle, Blackbeard's Castle , Mountain Top (famous for it's Banana Daquari), Golf Course and Sir Francis Drakes Seat.Then down town Main Street for a three hour shopping spree. After shopping we head to beautiful Magen's Bay for a two hour swim.

Then I'll take you back to the ship at lease one hour before departure time."

We were able to choose which beach we wanted to be dropped off at and he picked us up at a designated time to get us to the ship on time.

• 1 month later...
I went through the online booking for the Lord Sheffield today and am anxiously awaiting confirmation that my date is not full. If so, I will have to reschedule my cruise as this is one of the main attractions for us. Crossing fingers here!

I am anxious to hear how you liked it. We are booked for July!

Did you book this excursion through Shore Trips?

It is not on the RCCL excursions.

Thanks,

It is not bookable through the cruise ships. This is a good thing though because it has kept the cost down. You can book directly through the site online at http://www.lordsheffield.com and that takes you to information and links so you can book directly through them. Captain Rob will email you the next day or so to let you know if your date and amount of passengers was available. It is refundable if you give a ten day cancellation notice I believe.

Congrats on your 25th. Mine is coming up as well soon!

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who took this trip. Did you see anyone come up at the last minute to get on the ship? (People who didn't prebook.)

Just wondering what our chances would be of getting on the ship if we didn't book prior to leaving home. Still can't decide if we want to just get a cab and go to the beach and stop to shop or do this excursion. I am not a swimmer so I am wondering how hard it would be for me to get off the LS and paddle up to the beach or how deep is the water that you are anchored in by the beach?

Thanks,

For those of you who took this trip. Did you see anyone come up at the last minute to get on the ship? (People who didn't prebook.)

Just wondering what our chances would be of getting on the ship if we didn't book prior to leaving home. Still can't decide if we want to just get a cab and go to the beach and stop to shop or do this excursion. I am not a swimmer so I am wondering how hard it would be for me to get off the LS and paddle up to the beach or how deep is the water that you are anchored in by the beach?

Thanks,

I believe there was a couple who came up at the last minute and there was room for them so they were able to board. The water is well over your head but I am not really a swimmer either and was fine in the water. There are life vests as well as the noodles. I only had the noodle and was fine. I didnt feel at all unsafe at any time. You could email captain Rob and see if they are sold out on your date so you would know if there was even a chance to get on.

Hope you decide to go. Its a great trip!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Sailed with Capt. Rob and crew on 2-24-06. I brought a group of 5 on board. We were blown away from the beginning to the end of this trip. We didn't want to return to the cruise ship but all good things must come to an end. {our cruise ship was awesome as well}. Cheers to the crew of the Lord Sheffield. We and our instant friends from Canada had a blast!!!! This trip is not to be pondered. Just book it and smile like hell.;)

Hi everyone! Sailed with Capt. Rob and crew on 2-24-06. I brought a group of 5 on board. We were blown away from the beginning to the end of this trip. We didn't want to return to the cruise ship but all good things must come to an end. {our cruise ship was awesome as well}. Cheers to the crew of the Lord Sheffield. We and our instant friends from Canada had a blast!!!! This trip is not to be pondered. Just book it and smile like hell.;)

Thats what I've been tellin' ya! So glad you had a blast. If you get a chance why dont you post a review? I know we would all love to hear it. We go again in late May. Cant wait!

We're booked on Mariner, and we're supposed to be in St. Martin from 7:00-6:00. Is it possible to be off the ship early and see the Butterfly Farm (my daughter's #1 wish for the whole cruise) --we'd take a taxi -- then get back to the dock for the Lord Sheffield day cruise by 11:00?

Or, is is do-able to leave Lord Sheffield at 3:30 (that's the time listed on the website), hit the Butterfly Farm, and be back on the ship comfortably by 6:00? I don't feel too good about the idea of cutting it close.

Opinions and experiences, please!

Archived