Can you help with Volcano National Park Excursion?

NattysMom

My husband, my 7 year old daughter and I will be going on POA this July and I'd really like to do Volcano National Park. I'm not particularly interested in renting a car but I'd like to see the main sites that all the tours seems to hit. I've read lots of people talking about the "chain of craters road" and I'd like an opportunity to see a little more of the park than a quick stop on a big tour bus.

A few independent tours I've seen seem to have an 8 year old age minimum or are very long tours that don't fit into our port time.

Should I just stick with a regular tour through the ship, etc or can I get a little bit "more" given our limitations? Or is that really only possible if we rent a car?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Just got back from Hawaii on Carnival Spirit and I did VNP through Roberts Hawaii. Granted, it was on a big bus, but we saw a bit more and cost a bit less than the one offered from the boat. Our driver did go a bit down Chain of Craters Rd, stop on the side and let us out to walk on the lava while he went and turned the bus around. It was a neat addition to the tour. Not sure if every driver does that...

With that in mind, I did think we didn't spend enough time at the Visitors Center. We did lots of stops during the day and I could have lived without the Orchid Farm in order to spend more time reading about the Volcano, but that is what you get in a tour! :)

Overall, we enjoyed the tour and would book Roberts Hawaii again anytime!

In Hilo, we rented from Enterprise. I feel it was the best rental we did, as they picked us up in a van, took about 5 minutes to get to the office, and the were on the road within 10 minutes. We drove to VNP, stopped at the Visitor Center, drove around the park and stopped at several places, stopped at the Orchid place for about 15 minutes, drove back through Hilo and went to a falls (Rainbow-?), stopped on the way back at a small "shack" for a great shaved ice, returned the car, and were back on the ship with about an hour to spare. Nice day., and we never felt rushed. We do not do "tours" unless we cannot find a way to do it ourself. Enjoy your trip.

We did VNP through the NCL excursion company and thought it was great! We only had about 20 people on the bus, it was reasonably priced (about $50 pp) and the tour guide was very entertaining and informative. We stopped at an orchid shop, then onto the park and I believe we saw all the major points of interest with good commentary. We had time on our own at the two craters we saw, at the info centre, saw the steam vents and got to walk the lava tube. I don't think we were longer then 6 hours which suited us fine since we had some longer days planned in Maui and Kauai. We do not always go for ships tours but I think this one is pretty good for the money!

Thanks for the feedback! I actually did reserve a tour with Ricky's Tours over the weekend. A little smaller, a good price and he did say he'll take us a mile or so down the Chain of Craters Road. I think given the limitations and time constraints it seems like a good choice. Thanks! :)

Now I need to shift my focus to Maui! Trilogy or Pride of Maui to Molokini?

Hmmmm....

Archived