Why CC higher than AC???

kymbakitty

Please forgive me in advance....I would imagine this topic has been beat to death but I was really hoping to get a quick answer so we can figure out what to do--time is of essence.

We are looking at a cruise in October on the Silhouette.

We are a little concerned about the size of the Aqua Class cabin...it is a little small and so is the balcony, but I have heard really great things about them and we figure that there are a few other places we could go (relaxation room, etc) when we needed a little more elbow room. I also heard for being less than 200 square feet, X did a great job of designing this room given the small square footage. Even though DH won't be able to have a lounger on the smaller balcony, he too is willing to give it a try.

Here is where I was thrown and figure I better ask the "professionals."

Why is the Aqua Class category $3,798, the C1 is $4,598 and yet the C2 is $3,398???? (Per room for two people.)

I can make no sense out of the differences....I thought you got a lot of little "extras" with the Aqua Class category, but if the C1 is that much more, I'm wondering...but then there is such a difference in the C2 and location can't be THAT much different...we are talking about a level or two at the most.

I am so sorry if this has been beaten to death....please forgive me in advance. We've been on over a dozen of cruises but X is pretty foreign to us.

Thanks!

Dawn

First off, a minor correction-- Aqua Class is AQ, not AC. Beginning in 2012, Celebrity is splitting off the special needs/accessible cabins into their own categories, and Accessible Concierge will be AC. Just so we're not confusing the issue.

Nominally higher class cabins can occasionally sell for lower prices than lower class cabins. It's all about supply and demand-- for some reason, the C1 cabins on that cruise are just so much more popular than the AQ that X has seen fit to price them for what the market will bear. It could be that the C1s almost all sold quickly, and they're hoping someone who has their heart set of that last remaining C1 will be willing to pay a premium price. On my last cruise, I saw 2C veranda cabins for a time priced higher than 2Bs and even 2As. You wouldn't think this would make any sense, but there you are.

There's nothing inherently wrong with AQ. I suggest you price it based on what you're looking for in a cabin, and if you think that price is fair. To a certain extent, comparing different classes of cabins can be like comparing apples and oranges.

aqua gets you access to spas and BLU which (blu) is worth the price right there -- it's great -- the cc is pretty much like other cabins, better amenities than the average cabins, but no blu -- price within same category is usually just premium location -- I would always opt for acqua class (booked for it in January) if given the option - even at several hundred dollars more -- blu is like a specialty restaurant every nite -- and for breakfast as well -- plus you show up at your assigned time on the first night and then you can pretty much show up whenever you want after that. It's the best -- and the spas are a nice touch as well -- and your amenities are just another notch up as well. it's really enjoyable and reasonably priced for what you are getting. and the room size is adequate and identical to cc cabins with notched up amenities as well

There is really wacky pricing going on with Silhouette Aqua Class staterooms; it is not supply and demand. On my September 27, 2011 Silhouette cruise Aqua Class was selling for over $1,000 per/person cheaper than Concierge Class even when it was nearly sold out (Aqua Class is no totally sold out) and Concierge Class had dozens of staterooms available. Take advantage of this "glitch" or whatever it is as with Aqua Class you receive all the Concierge Class perks plus several more.

Just to reiterate--the AQ cabins are exactly the same size as the CC cabins, and the balconys are the same as well. I have seen this pricing phenomenon multiple times--I think a lot of not-as-well-informed-as-Cruise-Critic-members cruisers can't appreciate the bennies of AQ and book CC.

On the cruise I just booked, the prices for all veranda cabins make no sense at all--regular balcony cabins are more than CC AND AQ in some cases! I have booked a guarantee but if the CC or AQ cabins drop a bit more I may move up.

And to those balconies--a quick search on these boards will show you how to get AQ and a large balcony by booking one of the coveted 'hump' cabins. We were in 1552 and the balcony was 3 times larger than than the one next to us. So you can always see if one of those is available.

If you have the option, I would select a cabin where the bed is by the bath--we had the bed by the balcony and it really seemed to close in the cabin, hoping not to have that situation again.

Good luck

Cathy

I'm not quite sure about the "supply and demand" either. I just booked a new cruise, just out. A Panama cruise Nov. in 2012.

From the first day of booking, the AQ's were cheaper than C1.

I'm not quite sure about the "supply and demand" either. I just booked a new cruise, just out. A Panama cruise Nov. in 2012.

From the first day of booking, the AQ's were cheaper than C1.

Infinity, I assume. It doesn't surprise me-- the M-class C1's are awesome! It's why you'd see this in an M-class (which are just starting to get AQ) than S-class.

If it's not pricing for best yield management (supply and demand), what other explanation is there? Trained apes in charge? Altho-o-ough, that would explain a lot of things...:rolleyes::D

aqua gets you access to spas and BLU which (blu) is worth the price right there -- it's great -- the cc is pretty much like other cabins, better amenities than the average cabins, but no blu -- price within same category is usually just premium location -- I would always opt for acqua class (booked for it in January) if given the option - even at several hundred dollars more -- blu is like a specialty restaurant every nite -- and for breakfast as well -- plus you show up at your assigned time on the first night and then you can pretty much show up whenever you want after that. It's the best -- and the spas are a nice touch as well -- and your amenities are just another notch up as well. it's really enjoyable and reasonably priced for what you are getting. and the room size is adequate and identical to cc cabins with notched up amenities as well

Thank you all for your prompt replies!

You supported my theory...it simply made no sense. I knew the square footage was the same...but why in the world the C1 was that much higher than the AQ was something I couldn't wrap my brain around because I knew you had additional benefits...so why would it be $800 more???

I was aware of the cabins that had the larger balconies (first thing I checked). But since this is for November 2011, they are already spoken for. But if we book it, we'll just plan on the AQ. If I'm going to be in a small cabin with a small balcony, at least it will have the other perks to lesson the "pain."

Thanks!!!!!

Dawn

If it's not pricing for best yield management (supply and demand), what other explanation is there? Trained apes in charge? Altho-o-ough, that would explain a lot of things...:rolleyes::D

I am not sure what it is on some of the Silhouette cruises, but I can assure you it is definitely not supply and demand. When Aqua class only has a couple of staterooms left available and is $1,000 less (per/person) than Concierge Class (which has a few dozen rooms available) untrained apes is a more likely scenario than supply and demand. It almost seems like it has to be a glitch, but it remained in place for so long that it is hard to believe they would not have noticed the issue and intervened. As such it is a mystery.

I was aware of the cabins that had the larger balconies (first thing I checked). But since this is for November 2011, they are already spoken for. But if we book it, we'll just plan on the AQ.

Dawn

Make sure to check cabin availability during the days before and after final payment; there is often a lot of cancellations and stateroom changes that occur during that time period. Good chance of an AQ with a large balcony temporarily becoming available around that time period. You will have to act quick though, as others will be looking to switch to it as well.

Archived