San Francisco & Electric Scooter Question

My daughter will be using an electric scooter while we cruise onboard the Sapphire Princess. While docked in San Francisco, she wants to get off the ship and tour the embarcadero [shopping and eating.]

Any suggestions on how "wheel-chair" friendly the embarcadero is [are there cut-outs in the curbs, etc., etc.], and information on how they get her off the ship [special gangway, etc., etc.] would be most helpful and would assist us in the planning of her fulfilling her "bucket list!" ;)

This will be her very first cruise in a wheelchair and I'm her "slave" for the week! :p

My daughter will be using an electric scooter while we cruise onboard the Sapphire Princess. While docked in San Francisco, she wants to get off the ship and tour the embarcadero [shopping and eating.]

Any suggestions on how "wheel-chair" friendly the embarcadero is [are there cut-outs in the curbs, etc., etc.], and information on how they get her off the ship [special gangway, etc., etc.] would be most helpful and would assist us in the planning of her fulfilling her "bucket list!" ;)

This will be her very first cruise in a wheelchair and I'm her "slave" for the week! :p

I found this information under Accessible SF..it may give you the information you need. California is one of the most accessible states in the USA, so you should have no problems.

The embarcadero and Fisherman's Wharf will fill her bucket list with joy.

Have a great cruise.

The San Francisco Convention & Visitors Bureau maintains a TDD/TYY information line at 415-392-0328. The Mayor's Office on Disability also has extensive resources on its Web site as do many City and County of San Francisco agencies located at http://www.sfgov.org. You can also download the latest version of the San Francisco Access Guide.

When using public transportation, request a copy of the Muni Access Guide from Muni Accessible Services Programs 1 South Van Ness, San Francisco, CA 94115; for assistance telephone 415-701-4485 or 415-701-4730 (TTY) weekdays or 311 anytime. In addition to accessible Muni Metro service, all but 1 Muni bus line are accessible. A Paratransit Taxi service provides discount taxi service to qualified disabled persons unable to use public fixed route transportation (Muni); a certification form may be requested from the San Francisco Paratransit Broker at 415-351-7000, TTY 415-351-3942.

Golden Gate Transit, which operates bus and ferry service between San Francisco and Marin County, has published a handbook on accessible equipment and procedures, Welcome Aboard. For a copy, telephone 415-923-2000 or TTY 311.

Handicapped parking zones are clearly marked throughout The City with signage and blue curbs; disabled visitors may pay a $6 fee and present a state-of-origin permit/plaque with photo ID to obtain a temporary permit from DMV at 1377 Fell Street. There is a special line/window to assist individuals with disabilities.

This link is for an accessible guide in SF They should have a current one posted.

http://www.onlyinsanfrancisco.com/media/downloads/accessguide2007.pdf

I found this information under Accessible SF..it may give you the information you need. California is one of the most accessible states in the USA, so you should have no problems.

The embarcadero and Fisherman's Wharf will fill her bucket list with joy.

Have a great cruise.

This link is for an accessible guide in SF They should have a current one posted.

http://www.onlyinsanfrancisco.com/media/downloads/accessguide2007.pdf

Thank you so much for your response. You are so right about California having all their "ducks-in-a-row", so to speak, when it comes to handicapped services and accessibilty.

I hope the experience off of a cruise ship onto the port in San Francisco is just as friendly. :)

Hi--

my wife uses a Pride scooter, and we cruise out of SF when we can. She can easily do the distance from the cruise ship pier, down to the Ferry Building (go hungry!), back to Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf. Very scooterable, broad walkways; lots of traffic, but people in SF are often a little more WC- and scooter-conscious than other places. Have fun!

Krisen

Hi--

my wife uses a Pride scooter, and we cruise out of SF when we can. She can easily do the distance from the cruise ship pier, down to the Ferry Building (go hungry!), back to Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf. Very scooterable, broad walkways; lots of traffic, but people in SF are often a little more WC- and scooter-conscious than other places. Have fun!

Krisen

That's so good to know. Thanks for the information.

Archived