Packing Idea's

Angel59920

It really depends on what you'll be doing in the port. But, one thing that is always in my backpack when we go into a port is sunscreen. I carry a back pack with sunscreen, snacks for the kids, camera, bucket type hats (that roll up), a small first aid kit, my wallet, sunglasses and some bottled water.

DH & I split whatever cash we're taking between the two of us - just in case. A friend of ours fell victim to a pick pocket in one of the ports. Luckily he didn't lose a lot - but it was enough to make us rethink the "where do we store our cash for souvenier shopping".

If we're doing a beach day, we also carry a tote bag with the beach towels, a change of clothes for the kids, and some extra snacks.

We roll up extra tote bags and put them in the bottom of our suitcases - these are used if we get too many souveniers to fit into the luggage. I usually put one of the extra tote bags in the backpack too. It helps instead of trying to juggle shopping bags. (DH made the suggestion of only buying small things to give as souveniers - so the next port I made a stop in one of the jewelry stores to show him the "small souvenier" he could get me. After that he was okay with the extra tote bag:D.)

Thanks again for all the help. What do you guys bring with you when you get off the ship for ports?

- backpack or beach bag

- reusable water bottles filled w/ water or lemonade from the ship

- a few snacks (granola bars, nuts, etc)

- sunscreen

- towels if beaching it that day

- money

- credit card (just in case we happen to find something unexpected to buy)

- a print out of info from ports of call board on CC or info about the excursion we planned

- sign and sail card

- if the port requires it we bring our passports if not we don't

- comfortable footwear

- camera

My kids are now 17 and 14, but we have been cruising since they were 7 and 4. Some of the things I would suggest are:

1. Get them both their own rolling back pack to fill with the items they want to bring. Include things like their own snacks for the plane (incl. gum and suckers for ears), playing cards (Uno is a favorite for us), books, iPods (I give them an iTunes card a couple days before we go to upload new music/games/videos), notebook to make a travel journal, pens, colored pencils, disposable camera, underwater disposable camera, favorite stuffed animal, sunglasses, hot wheel cars (favorite of DS's at your kids ages), etc. They were/are responsible for their own back packs.

2. Over the Door Shoe holder....lifesaver with 4 in a cabin. We use ours for hair supplies, makeup, cards, cameras, OTC medicines (cold, allergy, tylenol, cortizon creme), sun screen, tooth brushes/paste, toiletries, etc.

3. We kept the kids occupied at dinner with I Spy, tic tac toe, hang man, connect the dots, etc.

4. I would take the number of days we were gone and divide by 2 for the number of shorts and take 2 shirts for each pair of shorts. underwear/socks for each day. For dinner I would pack just 1-2 pairs of dress pants with collared polo shirts for casual nights and a buttoned up collared shirt for elegant nights (with I tie for more formal ships). I always have them pack at least 2 swimsuits. I'd have them wear tennis shoes on the plane and pack sandals/flip flops/dress shoes.

5. I never bought the soda card since my kids were ok with the free lemonade and ice tea. I do let them splurge and get smoothies or virgin drinks a couple of times.

Have fun....

I'm not sure of your kids ages, but this was an idea I that I got from a kids travel site years ago that worked great for my kids when they were 6 & 8. I put together outfits for each day with shirt, shorts, socks, & underwear and then put each set in a gallon sized ziplock bag. It saved a huge amount of time when we were getting ready, because they would just choose a bag. Much less mess of them rumaging through the suitcase and they dressed themselves, but the clothes matched.

The bags were perfect to reuse for many things and the dirty clothes just got tossed into a collapsible hamper until the last day when I filled one suitcase with just dirty clothes.

Does anybody remember what kind of shampoo and soap they use on RCCL? What all coming in your bathroom on these ships?

Yes, the zippy bags are amazing! I got the idea years ago on a Disney board, and have used it for every major trip. My bags include clothes, underwear, jewellery, hair clips, and socks. If an item is to be re-used from another night, I will make a note on the bag with a sharpie "wear with black pants". I not only pack this way for my kids, I do it for myself tooo.

Things to bring:

• stroller - my kids are 5 and 3, and the ONLY time I use the stroller is on a cruise ship. It comes in handy at the airport, (all the carryons get put into the strollers and they help push. The reason I bring the stroller's is for port. It is so nice to walk around and shop in the markets while the kids take a nape. I wil bring the strolelrs with us on FOTS this summer and again on DREAM next year. After that, they will [saddly] get donated.
  • colouring books - there are soooo many images on line. I make up my own colouring books for the kids mixed with all their favourite characters and then print them with a personalilzed cover. It's a big hit and they love them.
  • On our last trip, I forgot our "beach blanked" I have a nylon blanket that doesn't take a lot of room and comes in sooooo handy for beaches.
  • Sand toys - our kids like to have their own so the each get to pack a few items.
  • Medicines [the obvious]. One trip I forgot my son's puffer which he only needs on occasion. sure enough, he came down with a chest cold and really could have used his puffer.
  • walking shoes/running shoes, and something for the pool/beach - crocs work great for this.
  • SUNGLASSES! My daughter lost her pair to the ocean in St. Thomas (the first stop on our trip) and had to go the rest of the trip with no glasses.

I'm sure there is more, but that is all I can think of for now.

Yes, the zippy bags are amazing! I got the idea years ago on a Disney board, and have used it for every major trip. My bags include clothes, underwear, jewellery, hair clips, and socks. If an item is to be re-used from another night, I will make a note on the bag with a sharpie "wear with black pants". I not only pack this way for my kids, I do it for myself tooo.

This is an amazing idea. Thanks for the info. I think I will be doing this for my 3 year old when we go in another 3 months. Thanks :)

Thanks everybody for all the great ideas. I am trying not to pack that much stuff and overdue it like I usually do.

What kind of stuff do you take with you to the ports? Do you pack snack stuff and if so do you bring it from home or take it from the ship? Do you take sand toys? ect...

I am a reformed overpacker and I now suffer from overplanning (thanks Cruise Critic!) It took several trips, but I now know that we can manage with 2 carryons each for the four of us (2 DS's 7 & 10). The larger wheeled suitcase is for clothes and the kids know that they can take whatever toys that will fit in the smaller carryon, although we usually help them to make wise decisions and weed out anything that is noisy or with limited play value.

We always fly to the departure port and make a point of stopping at a dept. store before boarding the ship. We pick up snacks for the cabin and for ports and we usually let the kids pick out a smallish lego set. We often like to spend some time in our cabin on sea days away from the crowds and the kids love to play with a new toy. It gives us a chance to hang out on the balcony. We usually don't take beach toys as we don't have a lot of room. If they really want some then we pick it up before we board and would pass it along to a child at the beach when we leave.

The over the door shoe holder is KEY for a family in the small rooms. It's great for everyone's stuff, cameras, sunscreen, sippy cups, brushes, hair straighteners, etc. It's my must have item.

I always pack individual outfits in the ziplocs as well, and wnen we go in port I bring an empty one that I can stuff wet swim suits in, etc. if needed. My kids are 4 and 2 so we always bring an extra change as well just in case.

As far as ports, I bring at least a small sand toy for each if we will be going to the beach. I bring sippy cups with water and usually stock up on a couple boxes of cereal from the breakfast buffett that morning.

Archived