Snorkel from beach

gugabia

Hi, we will be at Cozumel on 6/14 -9:00 AM 6:00 PM ship time.

We would like to do some snorkel from the beach. We don't care for drinks or food - just want a nice beach to have fun with kids 9 and 13yo without having to spend much (already taking excursions on other ports).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Money Bar - close to the ports (about a $9-10 cab ride for 4), great snorkeling, not all-inclusive. The beach is very rocky (which is why the water is so clear and the snorkeling so good), but they've created a sandy area for chairs and relaxing. Check out their web site: http://www.moneybarbeachclub.com/

Good luck! :)

We drove by the money bar as it was recommended for shore snorkeling, however there is really no beach, it is just a rocky shore. The restaurant seems nice but we wanted a sandy beach where you can walk into the water.

Chankanaab Park isn't terrible....plus there's other things to do there as well. They have a beach, but to get into the water you walk down steps into a rocky area. I was there in 2004 and my kids had never snorkeled. We saw all kinds of fish and coral...even barracudas. The water was a bit choppy though so snorkel vests really help especially if not strong swimmers. I think I've read it's like $21 per person to enter the park...but then you had access to the sea lion show...the lagoon where you will see tons of iguanas just hanging out...and powdery sand. The downside is that it gets pretty crowded.

I'm really wanting to find a more secluded location for our October cruise to Cozumel to do some snorkeling. Anyone know any place as such?

• 3 months later...
Went to "The Money Bar" a few weeks ago. i would highly recommend this place as it is not crowded, has excellent snorkeling, no entrance fee, great food and drinks and great staff.

I am thinking about this for my 10 year old and I but i have reading out sting rays. This scares me. :( Are they bad?

cheers

Went to "The Money Bar" a few weeks ago. i would highly recommend this place as it is not crowded, has excellent snorkeling, no entrance fee, great food and drinks and great staff.

I am thinking about this for my 10 year old and I but i have reading out sting rays. This scares me. :( Are they bad?

cheers

I have never seen any sting rays while snorkeling from the shore in Cozumel. Have snorkeled from several places most recently "the Money Bar", Chankanaab Park & Paradise Beach. the only place I actually seen sting rays was in Belize at the reef. Should be nothing to be worried about. Stingrays only hurt is you stand on them which is usually in sandy areas. If you walk in any beach that has sand then you are told to shuffle your feet to make sure that if there was a stingray that he knows you are there. At the "The Money Bar" and "Chankannaab" when using the steps/stairs you will be in at deep enough water where you can keep you feet from touching the bottom.

In Belize, I always swim with very big stingrays and have not been hurt by them.

I have never seen any sting rays while snorkeling from the shore in Cozumel. Have snorkeled from several places most recently "the Money Bar", Chankanaab Park & Paradise Beach. the only place I actually seen sting rays was in Belize at the reef. Should be nothing to be worried about. Stingrays only hurt is you stand on them which is usually in sandy areas. If you walk in any beach that has sand then you are told to shuffle your feet to make sure that if there was a stingray that he knows you are there. At the "The Money Bar" and "Chankannaab" when using the steps/stairs you will be in at deep enough water where you can keep you feet from touching the bottom.

In Belize, I always swim with very big stingrays and have not been hurt by them.

oops I meant jelly fish. :D

Do I need to worry about them?

We have been to Money Bar several times and have enjoyed it. But we found a place a couple years ago and have been twice now, it's great for beach and snorkling. Club Cozumel Caribe you can also google the resturant name but right now I cant think of name. Anyway its north of town, no entrance fee alto they do expect you to buy drinks and food. If you walk north a bit and get in water and snorkle north, you pass Playa Azul where snorling was even better. We only had to walk back (rocky where water shoes) about 10-15 min. Beach is beautiful, chairs and even a pool. we will be there in march.

Archived