Baltic Cruise - mid August - what kind of weather to expect

pacheco18

I assume some of you have sailed on Celebrity to the Baltics in August.

I'd like some idea of the weather there at that time.

Is it "summer hot." Unusually cool?

Long sleeves during the day? Jacket or sweater needed day or evening?

We're Celebrity cruisers too but were on Azamara's Baltic itinerary last summer. We arrived in St. Petersburg July 31st to record heat. It was 100 for the first two days and then chilled to a balmy 95 before we sailed to Talinn. That was record heat to be sure but we didn't care. Think upper midwest US for comparable temperatures.

If you plan on temperatures in the 80's you should be fine. It never hurts to throw in a light weight sweater and definitely a raincoat or those throw away ponchos.

Most (all) of the palaces and tourist sights are not airconditioned. The Hermitage will have open windows within a foot of Old Masters. Try to plan your visit there early in the morning.

I know you can't see everything early but it gets so crowded that it is uncomfortable at any time of the day. The last time I was in The Hermitage it was March and the heat was set so high I though the Raphael's would drip paint onto the floor. The 100 degrees on August 1st actually felt cooler!

Have a wonderful cruise.

Following up on Laraine's question, is it warm enough to sit by and/or use the pool?

Most posters said they took a swimsuit to use the spa. Of course, if we have record heat the pool will get some use. A bathing suit takes up little room so I suppose I will take one just in case.

Hi We went on a Baltic cruise on August 13th several years ago from Dover, the evening we left Dover it was drizzly, but for the rest of the cruise the weather was beautiful probably between 70-80 every day except one which was the day we sailed back to Dover.

Hope you enjoy your cruise, I think it was still one of our favourites, especially the sail in and out of Stockholm.

Regards

Jean

Hi,

I think that you will find the weather to be unusually cool when compared to Arizona weather.

Expect average temperatures to be around 70 - 75 degrees F. However, you can still get heatwave that produce higher than average temperatures. Overnight temperatures could drop to 60.

I do not think you will need long sleeves during the day. Pack waterproofs as you are likely to get rain.

Jim

We did the Baltics in late July/early August and the weather was "just right" for us Brits, but as the previous poster says, if you are used to the heat of Arizona you might find it a bit cool. We wore short sleeves everyday apart from 1 in Helsinki where it rained but it still was not "cold", and yes, we did use the outdoor pool!

Frankie

Archived