thomson flights select your seat?

Have many of you paid to select your seat on your Thomson Flights to Palma. We didnt think there would be any problem with sitting together provided we got to the airport in plenty of time. but when I went onto the select your seat part on thomson site it almost looks as if most of the plane is reserved or do you think this is a bit of a game plan to raise extra revenue? We are flying on 25th june from east mids and although there are two couples in our party we dont expect to get 4 seats together but 2 x 2 would be ok

Have many of you paid to select your seat on your Thomson Flights to Palma. We didnt think there would be any problem with sitting together provided we got to the airport in plenty of time. but when I went onto the select your seat part on thomson site it almost looks as if most of the plane is reserved or do you think this is a bit of a game plan to raise extra revenue? We are flying on 25th june from east mids and although there are two couples in our party we dont expect to get 4 seats together but 2 x 2 would be ok

Being a family of 4, we had pre-booked seats with Thomson when we flew last year: - there were several people including families around us on the flight who had been split up because they hadn't pre-booked - usually couples might be lucky & sit across the aisle from each other - if the aircraft is a 3:3 configuration, the seats for 2 usually go first leaving lots of odd 1 seats in the aisle! It really annoys me the way you feel pressured into paying to pre-booking seats just so they can get extra revenue!

we fly newcastle/corfu on 17th june and have just pre booked our seats/meals. it appeared that more than half the plane was pre booked. we have been on flights before when we haven't booked and to date have never been at opposite ends of the plane, at worst separated by the aisle.:rolleyes:

pauline

We never pre-book our seats. If you are travelling from Manchester, Birmingham or Gatwick you can do day before check in and get your window seat or seats together. Actually, when we went to Sharm on a 757 we wished we hadn't bothered and taken the aisle seats as it was so cramped on there that we could barely move for a week after we were so stiff and at least we could have stretched our legs occasionally or even gone to the toilet wihtout a lot of trouble.:)

Flying to Palma is such a short flight at around two and a half hours why bother, you're no sooner sat on the plane then you're getting off again.

Jan

I had a phone call from Thomsons last week asking if I would like to pre-book my seats for our flight,2 adults and 1 13 yr old, I declined and agree with Ekco that flying to Palma it is not worth paying the extra money.

I think it's a bit of a rip-off and just a way of generating more money (still I suppose if it helps to keep Thomson solvent that's in our interests, but we needn't individually pay the extra).

We don't usually pay although we did for the Caribbean as I didn't fancy such a long journey sitting on my own if we were separated - although it went against the grain really. But quite a lot of couples ended up sitting one behind the other on this flight bcause it was 2-3-2 arrangement. The great maority of passengers were couples. The window seats were filled up with 2's and then more couples sat in 2 of the 3 central seats which left lots of odd seats in the middle.

I always ask at check-in for window seats together but am sometimes told they're already allocated - don't know if this is depends on your departure airport. We've ended up across the aisle on occasion, but that's not too much of an issue. But I do agree with the others who've posted that for a short 2 hour flight to Palma I'd definitely not pay up.

that was my thinking having done nearly 11 hours to mexico and having booked exit seats (Which were quite cold) a trip to palma should be very quick, I will take a good mag and it i did have to sit seperate it shouldnt be too much of a hardship because we have normally had our (only) holiday row that morning and probably not speaking anyway haha

that was my thinking having done nearly 11 hours to mexico and having booked exit seats (Which were quite cold) a trip to palma should be very quick, I will take a good mag and it i did have to sit seperate it shouldnt be too much of a hardship because we have normally had our (only) holiday row that morning and probably not speaking anyway haha

:D:D

My DH sticks his MP3 headphones in for the duration - I'm sure anyone watching would think we'd had a row anyway - there's no conversation!!!!! Don't know why I bother about adjacent seats come to think of it!! :D

I booked extra legroom seats for our recent flight to Corfu.We got aisle seats which was a bit of a disappointment as I love a window seat to look out during the flight.The person who had the window seat was asleep - grrrr!

Fortunately I got a window seat on the return journey, but the view was obscured by the wing! Having a seat next to the emergency exit meant we were instructed on how to open the door!

The worst part about having extra legroom seat was having to be parted from my handbag! The cabin staff insisted that it must go in the overhead compartment during takeoff and landing and not under the seat in front, as it could be a hazzard in an emergency.I don't like to be parted from my handbag-it contains everything that is precious to me, lol.Then I had to persuade hubby to get it down for me during the flight- he couldn't see why on earth I needed it!

Flopsy

Hi there,

we always book seats together as we were once caught out ,as a family of 4, and were all sat separate. As 2 now we usually opt for 2 aisle seats across from each other. Neither of us usually move much during the flight but when we used to book window seats then I always got the middle seat!!

At least on Thomson you can book the actual seat number. We are going with Cosmos, flying Monarch, for a short break and paid for pre-bookable seats. When I enquired about the actual seats we preferred we were told that our booking only covered seats together - very misleading !

When you go on line to select your seat with Thomson it depends on whether you are having a meal as to which seats are available to book. They block out front to middle of plane for people having meals, leaving the middle to rear for selection.

When you go on line to select your seat with Thomson it depends on whether you are having a meal as to which seats are available to book. They block out front to middle of plane for people having meals, leaving the middle to rear for selection.

I pre-booked seats for our flight this week to Corfu and discovered when I logged onto the website that the seats allocated were at the very back of the plane; we tried to change them to be nearer the front and the choice of seats was very limited indeed. Now I know why, I doubt if I'd pre-book again.

Last year we had meals on the Thomson flights to and from Corfu (sitting near the front!) and they were so awful that this time we're taking buying some sandwiches at the airport and taking them on board with us.

yes the available seats when i looked were right at the back of the plane so think i will take my chances. Really not keen on the meals either (don't eat tomato) so think we will buy sandwich in the airport to take on. anyway I heard that thomson were stopping doing meals on short haul very soon. more time to serve duty free and drinks i suppose haha

My friend always asks for a window seat at check in only to be told solo passengers are only allocated aisle seats. being a solo passenger myself I have also found this to be the case. I recently found out that another friend who also travels on her own has always paid to reserve an aisle seat. a waste of money as she would be allocated an aisle seat anyway. What a way for Thomson to treat an elderly lady who has been loyal to Thomson for years.

yes the available seats when i looked were right at the back of the plane so think i will take my chances. Really not keen on the meals either (don't eat tomato) so think we will buy sandwich in the airport to take on. anyway I heard that thomson were stopping doing meals on short haul very soon. more time to serve duty free and drinks i suppose haha

Thomson ARE stopping pre-bookable meals on all short-haul flights as from winter 2011. They will be offering snacks etc to purchase onboard but not meals that you can pre-book & pre-pay for. We have always been lucky on Thomson flights with seating; as 3 of my family have to have special dietary meals for medical reasons which can be pre-booked, Thomson automatically seat you together so they know where you are when it comes to serving your food.

I am not very happy as from Winter 2011, we are not allowed to pre-book meals, even for dietary conditions (Coeliac - gluten free diet) however they also WILL NOT guarantee that there will be any food on board available for us to eat! This isn't too much of a problem flying outbound as we can take our own but on the return flight, it could be a problem as it might be difficult being on a cruise to buy any food to take back with us. This could potentially mean my husband and 2 teenagers having no food for 12 hours - between leaving the ship & arriving home!!

in that situation we would probably go to the buffet and get some buns and cold meats to make sandwiches to take with us. We have done this when travelling from southampton on the 6-7 hour coach journey back to newcastle. Just take a small plastic lunch box with you.

We had a couple of flights where we had select our seats included in the price.

But most times we have not paid for seat selection and always sat together when turning up at checkin. Even when travelling as a family of 4.

Berwyn

in that situation we would probably go to the buffet and get some buns and cold meats to make sandwiches to take with us. We have done this when travelling from southampton on the 6-7 hour coach journey back to newcastle. Just take a small plastic lunch box with you.

That's our problem - family can't eat buns, bread, cakes or pastries etc: it's unfortunately not as simple as that! We will just have to "pinch" a load of bananas & fruit to take with us & hopefully speak very nicely to the Head Chef to see if he can make up some cakes or biscuits with the special flour - it's just an incovenience and another thing to think about when you have a dietary condition and Thomson Airlines are no longer prepared to help when they used to provide gluten free meals! (One of the reasons we like cruising as we are catered so well for with meals on the ships!)

Normally on short haul we don't prebook seats just arrive early at he airport if we want to be together. As others have poited out for just over 2 hours it's not a great hardship anyway, save your money and buy a couple of drinks;);)

Archived