First Time Cruiser w/Kids (15, 8)

KewlMom

Hi all. I'm new to the boards and would like some help. My family and I are planning on taking a cruise next year. What cruise line is best for families? Not Disney (we do like to gamble).. also.. How far in advance is it best to book?

My kids have been on two cruises so far and will be going with us again in November. We were on Carnival one time and I did not like the party ship feel. Celebrity one time and although I loved the cruise, the kids did not have enough to do. We are now booked on the Voyager with I think will be the best of both worlds so we can all be happy.

As far as when to book, it is never to early especially if you need a cabin to fit 4 people, or two next door to each other or across the hall. If you have a good TA, they should watch for prices to do down and notify you if that happens.

We are just back from the Explorer with our 6 year old. Cant say enough good about RCCL!!!! especially the Voyager Class ships for families. We were on the Navigator last year. Our son LOVES the kids program.... as much as we want to be together on a family trip... it gave him some time to do stuff with just the kids. It was really a good mix.

Never too early to book and not too late until just before the ship sails!!! But really, we booked our Navigator cruise more than 8 months before. We got a decent cabin at a decent price. This time on the Explorer, we booked less than 4 months before... still got a decent cabin ( balcony D1 on deck 6 where we wanted to be)... and still got a decent rate. Only problem with booking close to the 70 days before sailing is that your final payment is due right after you pay deposit.

DD (now nine) has been cruising with us since toddlerhood. She votes for RCCI hands down. She'll admit (grudgingly) that Princess is "OK". HAL was (according to her!) yucky.

We are going to Hawaii in November on NCL (first time for us on NCL). She so psyched about HI, that she doesn't care what line we cruise.

We've done Disney and neither us (parents) or her (then 7) were very impressed.

I've only heard good things about RCCL and their kids program. From personal experience I can tell you that my dd's (13 and 10 at the time) loved NCL and Hawaii. :D My younger daughter LOVED the kids program on the Norwegian Star and can't wait to go back to NCL this summer. My older daughter did not really participate in the teen program. We were traveling with another family who had a daughter the same age and they hung around together most of the time.

Archived