Just back from spirit/ adriatic

We have just done the adriatic on 6th may,on Spirit, with a stay in Agios gordios after, so if anyone needs help, just ask. Unfortunately we picked up heavy colds in the hotel and we are both a bit under the weather, so I will make this brief. We thoroughly enjoyed both the cruise and stay, and it is obvious why the Adriatic trip is so well thought of. I am going for a new knee next month so I had planned it accordingly. we didnt do any excursions and just did our own thing at our own pace at each stop, and were able to do that easily.

The change in itinery means Koter is the first stop, and you arrive at 1300, so you dont have to get up early to see the lovely sail in up the fjiord, which I didnt realise takes 1and a half hours. stunning!. The place is a bit smaller than I thought, but very pleasant. The tickets had it marked as a tender port but he just sailed in an parked it on the quay like a mini, much to the relief of my OH.

Koper was also small and similar to kotor, but not quite as memorable, but made a pleasant walk around.

Venice next . We did not get off, as we had been three times before.We noted that the info sheet said you had a 15 minute walk to get a water bus, but we noted everyone getting on and off on the quay next to the ship.

Split was lovely, again marked as a tender port but not so.A short walk to the exit and a 5 minute meander to the 'palace', which is the main center of attraction.

Dubrovnic also stunning. Taxis were lined up on the quay, 10 euros standard fare. we decided to try the local bus in. The number 1A or 1B takes you in in just over 10 mins for about £1 in local currency, but it was a fair walk from the ship to the exit, so we just got a taxi back. Inside the walls it is lovely to browse and have a coffee to watch the world go by.

We noted the exchange on the ship was about 9.25 to the pound, but when we used euros in split at our coffee stop the rate worked out nearer 6, and the exchange booths were about 8, so the ship is the best if you are wanting to use local currency.

The hotel in agios giordos was also lovely, but the resort is a bit remote it you like to get about, but on this occasion we did not mind because of my knee.

overall a super trip. entertainment great, staff great. On two occasions I had lamb which was quite unedible, once in the compass rose in a rice dish, and once in the Lido when the Gala night was on when I had the roast, and I just felt the food was at times not quite up to the superb standards we had experienced on the Celebration, but maybe I was unlucky, but it has not put me off the idea criusing with Thomsons at all.

If I can help just ask. cheers

We have just done the adriatic on 6th may,on Spirit, with a stay in Agios gordios after, so if anyone needs help, just ask. Unfortunately we picked up heavy colds in the hotel and we are both a bit under the weather, so I will make this brief. We thoroughly enjoyed both the cruise and stay, and it is obvious why the Adriatic trip is so well thought of. I am going for a new knee next month so I had planned it accordingly. we didnt do any excursions and just did our own thing at our own pace at each stop, and were able to do that easily.

The change in itinery means Koter is the first stop, and you arrive at 1300, so you dont have to get up early to see the lovely sail in up the fjiord, which I didnt realise takes 1and a half hours. stunning!. The place is a bit smaller than I thought, but very pleasant. The tickets had it marked as a tender port but he just sailed in an parked it on the quay like a mini, much to the relief of my OH.

Koper was also small and similar to kotor, but not quite as memorable, but made a pleasant walk around.

Venice next . We did not get off, as we had been three times before.We noted that the info sheet said you had a 15 minute walk to get a water bus, but we noted everyone getting on and off on the quay next to the ship.

Split was lovely, again marked as a tender port but not so.A short walk to the exit and a 5 minute meander to the 'palace', which is the main center of attraction.

Dubrovnic also stunning. Taxis were lined up on the quay, 10 euros standard fare. we decided to try the local bus in. The number 1A or 1B takes you in in just over 10 mins for about £1 in local currency, but it was a fair walk from the ship to the exit, so we just got a taxi back. Inside the walls it is lovely to browse and have a coffee to watch the world go by.

We noted the exchange on the ship was about 9.25 to the pound, but when we used euros in split at our coffee stop the rate worked out nearer 6, and the exchange booths were about 8, so the ship is the best if you are wanting to use local currency.

The hotel in agios giordos was also lovely, but the resort is a bit remote it you like to get about, but on this occasion we did not mind because of my knee.

overall a super trip. entertainment great, staff great. On two occasions I had lamb which was quite unedible, once in the compass rose in a rice dish, and once in the Lido when the Gala night was on when I had the roast, and I just felt the food was at times not quite up to the superb standards we had experienced on the Celebration, but maybe I was unlucky, but it has not put me off the idea criusing with Thomsons at all.

If I can help just ask. cheers

So pleased to hear that you had a good time and that you were able to make the most of it despite the limitations of your knee. Shame about the lamb - another time mention it to your waiter, they seem very willing to get you something else if you're not happy with the dish (or at least that's been our experience in the past).

I do think the food although generally very good does vary a bit from cruise to cruise though - sometimes even on the same ship. Perhaps changes in the Head Chef may make a difference. I've tended to think Celebration has the edge although their scones were never as good as Spirit or Destiny - but on our last trip they were very good - Yay!:D (One trip on Destiny was perhaps the best ever though!)

Anyway, hope you will both be feeling beter soon - and all the very best with your knee op next month. :)

They had a different theme each evening, such as broadway melodies. and an african night etc, all were very well choreographed and professionally done. they had one night when a comedian was on Carl Schofield, whom we knew from choice hotels in Blackpool. He was hilarious but I think they may have a different guest artist each week.

Archived