Is an underwater digital camera worth it? Or disposable better!

vizzle

We were thinking of getting an under water camera but changed our mind. In the price range we were looking at (less than $200) there weren't any cameras that really stood out to us. Anything I looked at, I read reviews for, there were TONS of them saying the camera leaked the first time they used it. While there were a lot of good reviews too, I just couldn't take that chance with something like that.

We were thinking of getting an under water camera but changed our mind. In the price range we were looking at (less than $200) there weren't any cameras that really stood out to us. Anything I looked at, I read reviews for, there were TONS of them saying the camera leaked the first time they used it. While there were a lot of good reviews too, I just couldn't take that chance with something like that.

I've taken mine (very cheap) on 4 week long vacations that involved having the camera under water for nearly every day. Hasn't leaked once. If it did, I'd return it because it would be a flaw. Last vacation we were given a very nice underwater camera when we booked an excursion and we didn't even touch the thing. Why mess with film and a very limited number of photos when there are such cheap options out there that are more compact and better in every way?

I will 4th or 5th (whatever the count is up to now) recommend the Canon D-10....

I researched every camera review I could find for about 3 months before settling on the D-10.

Wound up being so good, I gave my Fuji Finepix setup, with 3 extra zoom lenses, to my Mom, because the D-10's picture quality, in water, or everyday photos was so much better.

Also remember, many of the underwater cameras are drop proof and cold proof, along with waterproof. Which helps with their value.

Bill

I'm guessing that 90% of the time a camera leaks is because of operator error.

I say this because the first time I test drove my fuji in our salt water tank, it leaked.

because I didn't FIRMLY close the battery/camera card door..

never had a problem since.

In cases like that, purchase a warranty from Square Trade online. It's pretty cheap, like $25, and if it doesn't perform as advertised or is defective, they get you your money back if the manufacturer gives you problems about it. I had it happen to one of the Olympus Toughs that I purchased and it wasn't a problem.

We tried every disposable underwater camera on our first few cruises. The pictures were consistantly crappy. Very grainy & cloudy. We always snorkle when we cruise and we really wanted to have some decent pictures so we decided to invest in a digital camera. A friend of ours did extensive research and we wound up getting the Canon D10. This camera has been fantastic. We were at the Baths in Virgin Gorda and I found up whacking the camera against one of the boulders - other than a very minor scratch on the casing, the camera was fine.

Has anyone used their regular camera in a Agaupac or dicapak waterproof bag? Just curious how easy it is to shoot pictures through the case and how well they turn out.

We tried one of those bags before we bought our D10. It was a pain. Very hard to use the camera controls and the bag was punctured and wound up leaking. Not worth it, IMHO.

I will 4th or 5th (whatever the count is up to now) recommend the Canon D-10....

I researched every camera review I could find for about 3 months before settling on the D-10.

Wound up being so good, I gave my Fuji Finepix setup, with 3 extra zoom lenses, to my Mom, because the D-10's picture quality, in water, or everyday photos was so much better.

Also remember, many of the underwater cameras are drop proof and cold proof, along with waterproof. Which helps with their value.

Bill

Agreed!!

Have the Olympus underwater and recommend an underwater digital HIGHLY. For one thing it takes great pictures above water as well as below. Our last 2 cruises, it was the only camera we took, no second for above water and no camcorder. Second, videos under water tend to catch a lot more than pictures because it is so easy to miss what you are shooting at. Third, with a disposable, you always seem to run out of pictures just before something good happens. Finally, it is waterproof at home too! You don't have to worry if you are caught out in the rain, or try and protect it from pool water or spilled drinks at home.

Just get it and you will have it for years to come.

I'm guessing that 90% of the time a camera leaks is because of operator error.

I say this because the first time I test drove my fuji in our salt water tank, it leaked.

because I didn't FIRMLY close the battery/camera card door..

never had a problem since.

...making a mental note to check and make sure all doors are closed FIRMLY!! :eek: :)

Ok, got my camera in the mail today. Has anyone had an anxiety attack the first time they submerged their new camera in the water?? :eek::eek:

I was thinking about that last nite, and now looking at it, I'm like, really, I can really take it under the water??? lolol It seems against everything I've been taught! Now if only my phone was waterproof... :rolleyes:

My son has a very inexpensive Kodak Sport. 14mp and good to 10 feet underwater. Way less than $100. Not as bulky as some and not quite as ugly. It has turned out to be pretty tough even though it feels kind of cheap (which it was) and looks like it wouldn't hold up. It does video as well. The only bad thing is it only has digital zoom, which is useless, which basically makes it a point and shoot like the disposables, only 14mp and as many shots as the size SD card you put in it. It takes very good above water pictures as well. It was bought to be taken off roading because he has had 2 others to break from being thrown off the seats during the rough spots. He thought if this one broke he wouldn't be out much money and the mud and rough treatment hasn't killed it yet.

We picked up a Fujifilm underwater camera at Costco for $129. Not only is it waterproof (to 10 feet), it's dust proof, sand proof, rain proof, shock proof and takes great photos outdoors and hundreds of them that you can see instantly. Also, it's a video camera.

I've used many disposables over the years and they just don't compare.

Here are a few shots taken on an overcast day last week in Maui with the water being a bit murky due to the time of day and being close to shore.

2163774180056668207S600x600Q85.jpg

2342032280056668207S600x600Q85.jpg

2314857010056668207S600x600Q85.jpg

2436063350056668207S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks for sharing your pictures and where you got your camera and for how much. The pictures were great!:D I was going to post that I use disposable underwater cameras because I'm afraid of losing an expensive one, but from the Costco price you paid I've changed my mind and I'm going to get one of those! I love this board and all you nice people who share your info!:D

Archived