Travel insurance?

HeidiHo

Anyone ever use iTravelInsured? This is what my TA is selling. I don't see it at www.insuremytrip.com. There's one called TravelInsured but it's not the same company. This policy is more expensive than TravelGuard or TravelEx which I have purchased before (but never had to use) but iTravelInsured covers for loss of job. I don't think the cheaper ones do. Anyone have feedback? I have 14 days to buy if I want the pre-existing condition coverage.

I dont know if we can talk about this on these boards but, it is the insurance that my t.a. is offering as well.I too have heard nothing about them.But i plan on using them.until I hear something different.:o

itravelinsured has been around for a number of years now (5??) and their plans are pretty reasonable as to both price and features. They will cover you for trip cancellation for job loss/layoff as long as you have been with the employer for a year or more. Never heard any complaints about their customer service.

About a year or so ago IMG (International Medical Group) bought out itravelinsured. IMG always did travel medical policies and they wanted a more traditional vacation-type policy with trip cancellation, etc. So, if you go through insuremytrip's quote process for the package policies you'll see "International Medical Group TRIP plan." That's an itravelinsured product being marketed under the IMG brand. If you buy that policy through a TA it's marketed under the itravelinsured name.

Thanks cruiseco. Still haven't decided. I know I can use Travelex and Travelguard (both have been recommended on this board) and they will be cheaper but the loss of job coverage with iTravelinsured makes it tempting. My DH's job is very secure right now (he got a promotion and raise just this week) but you really never know.

Thanks cruiseco. Still haven't decided. I know I can use Travelex and Travelguard (both have been recommended on this board) and they will be cheaper but the loss of job coverage with iTravelinsured makes it tempting. My DH's job is very secure right now (he got a promotion and raise just this week) but you really never know.

The Travelex plans will cover for layoff/termination but with a three yeears of continuous employment requirement. The higher-priced Travel Guard Cruise Tour and Travel plan requires five years and their lower priced Protect Assist plan doesn't cover it at all. If you husband has been with the same employer for 3+ years then the Travelex plan is still an option.

I am looking for insurance to cover our trip and medical as a supplement to an existing plan. I need a plan that is available to Canadians (Travel Guard only for US residents) I had a double by-pass on New Years Day and am having trouble finding a company that will insure me (most have a pre-existing clause). If anyone has had experience with this, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I am looking for insurance to cover our trip and medical as a supplement to an existing plan. I need a plan that is available to Canadians (Travel Guard only for US residents) I had a double by-pass on New Years Day and am having trouble finding a company that will insure me (most have a pre-existing clause). If anyone has had experience with this, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

How long ago did you book the trip?

By the way, you can also use Travel Guard of Canada

http://www.travelguard.ca

We booked back in November 2004. At that time we were told we could book the insurance at a later date. We were booking events before and after the cruise that couldn't be arranged until a later date.

Thanks for the tip on TravelGuard.ca, we'll check it out.

We booked back in November 2004. At that time we were told we could book the insurance at a later date. We were booking events before and after the cruise that couldn't be arranged until a later date.

Thanks for the tip on TravelGuard.ca, we'll check it out.

Since you're past the time to get a waiver of the pre-existing condition exclusions you need to find a plan that doesn't consider your present situation to be a pre-existing condition.

Some plans only look at your medical history in the 60 day period prio to the date you purchase the policy -- some go as far back as 180 days which won't help you. If your heart condition is now stable (no changes in the diagnosis, treatment, or medication in the last 60 days) you may not be subject to the pre-existing condition exclusion.

Two that only look back 60 days are Global Alert and TravelSafe and both will insure Canadians. Give them a call and see what they say .

Global Alert -- 800-423-3632

TravelSafe -- 800-523-8020

I forgot to mention one thing for anyone interested in when to buy a plan. You don't have to wait until all of your arrangements are locked in. As in this case, if you wait you take the chance of getting sick or injured and having that pre-existing condition hanging over your head.

If you're going to buy a plan anyway do this. As soon as you make your initial cruise deposit insure the amount of the cruise within the period of time required to get coverage for pre-existing conditions (7 - 21 days).

When you add more arrangements to your trip (air, hotel, etc) have the coverage amount modified to insure those arrangements also. You do not need to buy a new plan -- they'll just charge you the difference in the premium amount.

When you add arrangements to the plan do it within the 7 - 21 day period after making the new arrangements to keep the pre-existing coverage in effect.

As you can see, in many cases a recommendation to wait until all of the arrangements have been made before you buy a plan can be disasterous. And by following the above method the end total amount of the premium is no more than it would have been if you had waited to insure it all at once.

Archived