Our Cruise on Snake in the Grass,ah, Splendor in the Grass, no, Splendour of the Seas

Loved reading your review! I suspect that you are either (a.) related to, (b.) are in fact, and using an alias (c.) or are a fan and mimicked the writing style of Dave Barry. I have fond memories of my dad reading us his column every Sunday morning. I have to copy and paste this so that I can send it to my parents - they too, should enjoy your post. Thank you so much for my morning laugh!

Loved reading your review! I suspect that you are either (a.) related to, (b.) are in fact, and using an alias (c.) or are a fan and mimicked the writing style of Dave Barry. I have fond memories of my dad reading us his column every Sunday morning. I have to copy and paste this so that I can send it to my parents - they too, should enjoy your post. Thank you so much for my morning laugh!

Glad you enjoyed it. Not related to Dave Barry.:D However, like you, I enjoyed his Sunday column. Now if I could just figure out a way to use his line..."sent in by alert reader..." - it was one of my favorite segments in his column.

Cool Pictures. Am I correct in assuming that is you rubbing Gregory's big toe?

Glad you liked the pictures - I have one more batch to post - of Diocletian's palace. Yes, that is me getting ready for my game of picijin. :D

"...each pigeon generates approximately two pounds (12.6 ½ Kilos) of guano a month...."

I love your metric conversions! I'm surprised no one else mentioned them - but then again, I'm in a unique situation. I am old enough to remember the imperial system Canada used to use, and young enough to be comfortable with the metric system. The result is a pretty good comfort with both systems and the ability to fairly accurately convert back and forth.

Your metric conversions are just one of the things I really enjoyed about reading your thread. Thanks for making my Saturday morning an enjoyable one!

Now I am off to read your other reviews.

"...each pigeon generates approximately two pounds (12.6 ½ Kilos) of guano a month...."

I love your metric conversions! I'm surprised no one else mentioned them - but then again, I'm in a unique situation. I am old enough to remember the imperial system Canada used to use, and young enough to be comfortable with the metric system. The result is a pretty good comfort with both systems and the ability to fairly accurately convert back and forth.

Your metric conversions are just one of the things I really enjoyed about reading your thread. Thanks for making my Saturday morning an enjoyable one!

Now I am off to read your other reviews.

I use the metric/imperial quick conversion chart (MIQCC) in all my reviews as a convenience to readers who may reside in countries which use the metric system. To the best of my recollection, you are the first to comment on it. I left my home in BC to come to the states so I am intimately familiar with both systems.:)

Sailor Jack - We enjoyed reading about your trip.

One question about the possums: are they the same as in New Zealand? The New Zealand species is not the same as the dimwitted, scraggy, rat-tailed version (opossum - called possum) we have in Ohio, USA.

On our cruise, while in New Zealand ports, the Kiwis tried to get us to take possoms home with us as souvenirs. We told them that ship security would frown on us bringing aboard extra mouths to feed. We did however bring home some possum fur socks. They are the best socks ever! Warm, soft, never feel wet...the perfect souvenir.

:D

One question about the possums: are they the same as in New Zealand? The New Zealand species is not the same as the dimwitted, scraggy, rat-tailed version (opossum - called possum) we have in Ohio, USA.

On our cruise, while in New Zealand ports, the Kiwis tried to get us to take possoms home with us as souvenirs. We told them that ship security would frown on us bringing aboard extra mouths to feed. We did however bring home some possum fur socks. They are the best socks ever! Warm, soft, never feel wet...the perfect souvenir.

Hi Altlasali..thank you for yor intrest on all things possum :)...I trust Sailor Jack would not mind me hi-jacking this thread for a moment to speak to you about our beloved possums?? :D.

You must understand that the Possums in NewZealand are there for a reason..being that Australians are wise and like a practical joke...and who better than to play a joke on, than our Anzac Kiwi brothers :D..hence because it is cold in NewZealand and they don't have any furry cute animals. Some bright spark decided to send a bunch over the Tasman to NZ to see if they could start up a fur industry so they could sell furry warm socks to tourists I guess..the fur industry initially failed but possums apparentley love there new home so much so they are a bad pest.

The possums in Australia and NewZealand are marsupials (same family as kangaroo's hence there young are reared in a pouch, I guess this is why they make such great socks) so hence different to the American possums.

On saying that I do have a soft spot for them, when I was young we were so poor we couldn't afford shoes and we had to walk 15 kilometers(Sailor Jack can you help with the maths here?) to get to school and that was on our hands, because we weren't allowed to scuff and wear out our only pair of shoes we had. Hence we used to wear possum mittens. We also used to keep a live possum in our bag and when it really got cold you could pull that out and wear him as a cap.

A couple other things I know about possums, one they bite :o..my dogs go nuts when they walk along our fence..and they like to party in your roof at stupid hours in the night and they tend to like Johnny Cash music played really loud.

Glad you enjoyed the review.

As to your question about opposums, I think Scurvey Dog has done an admirable job in describing the early history of possums down under. One can clearly see that he does indeed have a soft spot. Apparently raised in Woop Woop, he must have had ample time to study this marsupial as he walked the 15 miles (2.08 3/4 leagues) to school.

Allow me to continue from where he left off. The Australian possum is much smarter than the one you and I know. They apparently were so cute that they succeeded in getting themselves protected by law. For example. if one is living in your attic and tearing the place apart you must get a permit to trap it and once trapped (I swear I am not making this up) you must release it within 50 Meters (63.87 1/8 feet) of where you trapped it.

These pictures are from Diocletians palace in Split

This is part of the Temple of Hercules inside the palace.

2776871400106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Some of the ruins - which are in really good shape - inside the palace.

2612977350106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Like the windmills in Mykonos, people moved into the palace and it is now a mixture of shops, residences and protected structures.

2985523950106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

There is also a great deal of restoration going on.

2626889420106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Edited by SailorJack

Glad you enjoyed the review.

As to your question about opposums, I think Scurvey Dog has done an admirable job in describing the early history of possums down under. One can clearly see that he does indeed have a soft spot. Apparently raised in Woop Woop, he must have had ample time to study this marsupial as he walked the 15 miles (2.08 3/4 leagues) to school.

Allow me to continue from where he left off. The Australian possum is much smarter than the one you and I know. They apparently were so cute that they succeeded in getting themselves protected by law. For example. if one is living in your attic and tearing the place apart you must get a permit to trap it and once trapped (I swear I am not making this up) you must release it within 50 Meters (63.87 1/8 feet) of where you trapped it.

Thankyou Sailor Jack for the measurements and knowledge..Ahh yes I do have a soft spot for possums and I do care..it's just that I don't care very much and the soft spot has slightly calloused over, over the years...2.08 3/4 leagues everyday walking on your hands in possum mitts will do that to a person :D ..as I now live in a town (not Whoop Whoop I moved to a place near "The Black Stump") that has approximately 3.76 possums per square meter, Possum poop is a constant problem (I'm sure they poop more than pigeons) and being able to trap them but only to have to release them at your letter box does nothing to alleviate the problem at all.

Yes possums are very, very smart, how else would they find there way back into your roof when you release them 63.87 1/8 feet from there home?...I actually get quite concerned when I see a passel (the official collective of a group of possums is called a 'passel') of possum's gathered around at dusk obviously discussing GPS co-ordinates and SWAT tactics just in case they are caught and relocated...it has got so bad, that when the "Passel Squad" is out and about my 6 Bull mastiff dogs hide under my bed. Hence, why now if we go out after dark personal protection is needed.

I had a bad incident on my last cruise when I came back to my cabin after a few frothies (beers) and was confronted with what I thought was a possum in my cabin, after I called security, I was relieved to find out that it was a terry towelling koala that my cabin steward had made for us..It did nothing to my pride, as every time I walked around the ship people would snicker and stare..:D

Yep possums are cute and you can't but help to love and hate them all at the same time :rolleyes:

These are the last of my pictures...until our next cruise.:D

There was a small museum in the palace which showed some of the art works from the days of Diocletian.

2721082380106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

We had no idea what this round roofless chamber used to be, but for now it served as a music chamber...the acoustics were superb!

2157864050106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Inside the chamber were these acapella singers who sang traditional Dalmation folk tunes. They were so good SailorJill bought their CD.

2076262920106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

The sun sets as we head for Venice.

2504337920106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just got here Jack and I surrender the title of CC head writer.

Hysterical and adventurous as always.

One question---- Does Atlanta allow you to keep goats within City limits?? I've seen Jill's picture and I'll offer 20 goats AND pay her transport to NY. Hell, I'll even throw in a Camel from the Bronx Zoo so you can always have memories of Egypt.:D

See you next time. You can still sign up for our next model cruise in January if you need a serious beating from Sailor Jill.

Edited by JohnGaltny

Just got here Jack and I surrender the title of CC head writer.

Hysterical and adventurous as always.

One question---- Does Atlanta allow you to keep goats within City limits?? I've seen Jill's picture and I'll offer 20 goats AND pay her transport to NY. Hell, I'll even throw in a Camel from the Bronx Zoo so you can always have memories of Egypt.:D

See you next time. You can still sign up for our next model cruise in January if you need a serious beating from Sailor Jill.

I have seen some of your models and the cruise line should give you free passage and charge passengers extra for a "model theme cruise"! Maybe I can tell Jill that I have a business trip and have to go to Florida for a week.:D

No goats allowed..but we can have chickens. Definitely not camels!! Especially none named Gamal!!!

If I can't swing the business trip, enjoy your cruise. I trust you will post lots of pictures.

Jack

OMG! Sailorjack

I just read your first review that someone from my JOS TA 2012 linked me to and I will be reading all the rest as soon as I can, although it will probably take me awhile. But I will take my time and save some til I'm having a bad day. One could not possible have a bad day after reading one of your reviews.

OMG! Sailorjack

I just read your first review that someone from my JOS TA 2012 linked me to and I will be reading all the rest as soon as I can, although it will probably take me awhile. But I will take my time and save some til I'm having a bad day. One could not possible have a bad day after reading one of your reviews.

I am glad you enjoyed it. Our trip on the JOS was great and I know you will enjoy it as well. If I recall my sailings correctly, I seem to recall that you have an overnight in Iceland? If so, it will be a great time to explore the nightlife there as I hear it is very good.

Jack

Edited by SailorJack

• 3 weeks later...

As you have read a thousand times.."I have just started reading your reviews..." ...."I don't know what you do for a living....."

I personally want to thank you for all the time you dedicate to writing and posting those beautiful pictures. Aside from your humor and entertaining writing, I am impressed how you follow up with your loyal readers months after the cruise. I loved how you posted these pictures with very detailed explanations. As I was reading, it occurred to me that you should publish some kind of book with photos for folks that are researching ports and making cruising decisions or for folks like me that may not make all these ports and are virtually traveling with you! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Aside from that, again, I say "THANK YOU". I have printed out all your reviews, copied them 2-2 and made a set for my hubby. This will be our reading material for the beach. I can't wait!

Looking forward to your November review.

One question: Which is your favorite cruiseline and why? I saw you mentioned Princess. I never can afford it. Any tips?

As you have read a thousand times.."I have just started reading your reviews..." ...."I don't know what you do for a living....."

I personally want to thank you for all the time you dedicate to writing and posting those beautiful pictures. Aside from your humor and entertaining writing, I am impressed how you follow up with your loyal readers months after the cruise. I loved how you posted these pictures with very detailed explanations. As I was reading, it occurred to me that you should publish some kind of book with photos for folks that are researching ports and making cruising decisions or for folks like me that may not make all these ports and are virtually traveling with you! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Aside from that, again, I say "THANK YOU". I have printed out all your reviews, copied them 2-2 and made a set for my hubby. This will be our reading material for the beach. I can't wait!

Looking forward to your November review.

One question: Which is your favorite cruiseline and why? I saw you mentioned Princess. I never can afford it. Any tips?

Thank you for your kind words. I obviously have a lot of fun in writing my "reviews" as it is a way to relive the cruise once we get home. As to following up with readers - I feel that if someone takes the time to post a comment I try my best to acknowlege their post - or answer a question if one is posed.:)

As to your question: I really don't have a favorite cruise line. I have found that each has their strong points and as you may tell from my reviews - every cruise I have been on has been an enjoyable experience.

My last several cruises have been on Princess simply because they fit my time table, had a great itinerary, and were well priced. We normally book cruises after final payment is due because we find that is when we get the best deals. Princess is a great line and if you watch carefully you will find that it can also be affordable.

Take care, Jack

Excellent review/writing!

I am sure SailorJill holds her own! :)

Thanks - and she certainly does!!:D

• 7 months later...
There's a WalMart on Mykonos????? (who says one never learns anything reading the cruise reviews? ;)

Seriously, tho, I enjoyed your post; thanks for sharing.

As an experienced and knowledgeable international traveler I like to be able to pass on the information I gather from my travels. Should you be in Mykonos again the WalMart, as I recall, is just across the street from the Home Depot.;)

Just came to this forum to see if people liked the Eastern Med and I absolutely loved your review, you should be a writer...I laughed my donkey off thanks

Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Edited by SailorJack