Cabin 8569 Jewel of the Seas - noisy!

Don’t book this cabin if you are a light/medium sleeper. We had this room for a transatlantic cruise which left Fort Lauderdale al 6th may and arrived in Harwich 18th may 2011.

Quite loud intermittent strange noises at night from somewhere above – not like steps or furniture.... Difficult to see on the map if there was another cabin on the next floor up, probably not. Noises generally around 0000 midnight to 0130, often resulting in hubby getting dressed to try and track down the noise – no luck! Various bits of detective work by security and maintenance crew did not seem to find the answer. The first explanation was that it an equipment locker where gear had not been stowed correctly but still it didn’t stop.

In the end it turned out to be compulsory maintenance on the swimming pool (Deck 11).I presume the pool is at least 2 levels deep. The noise of the maintenance travelled down the system/pipes etc to some floors below. They said it HAD to be done and it had to be done at that time of the early morning. For the last night only (now they knew what it was) we slept in another cabin on another floor – heaven – no noises!! We got a voucher for an amount off our next RCCL cruise to the value of 20% of what we had paid for this one.

Be warned cabin 8569 Deck 8 inside on the Jewel of the Seas is to be avoided. I imagine this might also apply to other Radiance class ships.

Other than that fabulous cruise, excellent lectures (Forensic Scientist), great food, great price, good way to come across the Atlantic!

• 11 months later...
Don’t book this cabin if you are a light/medium sleeper. We had this room for a transatlantic cruise which left Fort Lauderdale al 6th may and arrived in Harwich 18th may 2011.

Quite loud intermittent strange noises at night from somewhere above – not like steps or furniture.... Difficult to see on the map if there was another cabin on the next floor up, probably not. Noises generally around 0000 midnight to 0130, often resulting in hubby getting dressed to try and track down the noise – no luck! Various bits of detective work by security and maintenance crew did not seem to find the answer. The first explanation was that it an equipment locker where gear had not been stowed correctly but still it didn’t stop.

In the end it turned out to be compulsory maintenance on the swimming pool (Deck 11).I presume the pool is at least 2 levels deep. The noise of the maintenance travelled down the system/pipes etc to some floors below. They said it HAD to be done and it had to be done at that time of the early morning. For the last night only (now they knew what it was) we slept in another cabin on another floor – heaven – no noises!! We got a voucher for an amount off our next RCCL cruise to the value of 20% of what we had paid for this one.

Be warned cabin 8569 Deck 8 inside on the Jewel of the Seas is to be avoided. I imagine this might also apply to other Radiance class ships.

Other than that fabulous cruise, excellent lectures (Forensic Scientist), great food, great price, good way to come across the Atlantic!

I can't believe this. We just got off the Radiance of the Seas in the same cabin, 8569 and experienced the exact same scenerio and they were very quick to offer us a 20% voucher as well off our next cruise even without us asking. All we wanted, was for the noise to stop so that we could sleep.

The part that upsets me is that they said they have never had an issue with noise before in this cabin. The people next door in 8567 had the exact same problem.

10 out of the 12 days we had noise from about 1am until 5am. The breaking point was on our 10th night, the noise was from 1:30am until 5am with Security being called by Guest Relations 3 times. Finally at 4:30am with not sleeping since 1:30am, we got dressed and went to Guest Relations and asked to see what was in the "Pool Equipment" room as they insisted no one was working and it was just ship noises. We got up there and it was the pool pump room and a guy was working. He said he works there every night and can't avoid the noises as it is the only time that he can work on the pumps and completing pool maintenance.

I can't understand why you would have a room below this where maintenance needs to be completed nightly knowing that there will be loud banging noises.

The only reason I am commenting on this, is if I can help one person from avoiding having this room, I will be happy. I truely don't wish this on anyone, what we had to go through. Due to the noise on a nightly basis, we ended up sleeping many times thoughout the day on our 5 days at sea instead of enjoying the activities. We came home exhausted.

We had to call Guest Relations almost on a nightly basis and throughout the night.

On the positive note, other than the room, we had a great trip and amazing service and we will still be loyal to RCCL. We have been on several cruises and never experienced this. Learning for me is that I will be sure to only book a room in the future with a cabin above, below and on each side of us.

The Guest Relations mgr did increase our voucher from the 20% and was very understanding but I just wish they were more honest instead of saying they have never had a complaint about this room before or telling us it is just ship noises and insisting no one is working up there. There were no extra rooms that we could have moved to.

We had this room in 2006 and it was miserable! It was a spring break cruise and there were 4 guys in the room next door, our room attendant said they had shattered two mirrors and ripped the desk apart. I guess we didn't notice the noise from above because of the people next door. We didn't let it bother us because it was a great location, but I can definitely agree that it is a noisy cabin. We just drank a couple extra drinks before bed and slept fine ;)

thanks for the message- i just booked 8575 down the hall for a TA on the brilliance, but reading this thread I'm calling C&A to move our cabin now.

I think you will be ok with 8575 as you have cabins above you. The pool equipment / maintenance room is only above 8567 and 8569. Now if you were in 8571, I might consider moving as you might hear some of the noise but your room is a few down and only has rooms above and on both sides of you.

Just a note, 8567 was even worse than our room (if that is possible) as they had the employee staircase beside them so they had the noise above and beside them.

Archived