Categories B3 vs BA

che5904

OK I've just booked a cruise last night for a friend and am a bit confused. I was looking at a BA & B3 on the Pearl.

Now on this particular sailing the BA was $50 more than the B3 last night, yet in the afternoon they both were the exact same price and last week the BA was $20 cheaper than the B3. NCL rep said it had to do with how many were in each category left to sell, to which ones they were going to decrease and/or increase the price...fair enough, I understand the supply and demand concept.

My confusion comes regarding the description of each one.

BA = Mid ship balcony - sq ft 205, sleeps up to 4

B3 = Family Balcony - sq ft 205, sleeps up to 4

Can anyone tell me why If these appear to look like the exact same, one is classed as a family balcony and the other is classed just a balcony.

I believe the Family Balconies connect with a room next door and the regular balconies do not.

Well now, that was my initial thought too as the reason. Unfortunately my thought was quickly dismissed when I found numerous BA cabins that connected :(. Thanks though, it did make sense to me too. ;)

Anyone have any other ideas what the difference between these 2 cabin categories may be.

Even if someone has a picture of one of the follow B3 cabins from the Pearl. I know what a regular balcony BA looks like, I don't require a picture of that.

The only difference is the price ! :o They are both the same size and layout. I am in a BA or B3 for my cruise leaving sunday. I know mine was the most expensive balcony. It's on the 11th deck. This is the first time I get a connecting room, so I'm not too sure I will like that. :cool:

We had a connecting room BA balcony on the Dawn and the Star. There were not problems with it at all. It woud have made a nice spot for magnetic fridge magnets to leave notes if we had brought the fridge magnets ;)

Still looking for anyone who knows the answer to why a B3 is classed as a family balcony and a BA is just a balcony.

I have a guess for you. In april I sailed on the Spirit in a BD balcony. In May the rooms were recatagorized and that same room is now a B3. The only reason I can think of is all the B3 rooms on the spirit are in the AFT deck 10 & 11 near the kids area/pool. So maybe it has to do with proximity to those things.

I have a guess for you. In april I sailed on the Spirit in a BD balcony. In May the rooms were recatagorized and that same room is now a B3. The only reason I can think of is all the B3 rooms on the spirit are in the AFT deck 10 & 11 near the kids area/pool. So maybe it has to do with proximity to those things.

Love the guess and do know about the catagory changes, but on the Pearl there are 8 toward the bow and 4 toward the aft. Bummer kinda shoots that theory too. I asked NCL when we booked it and she didn't have the answer either.

Bet ya...the room is labeled “Family” to give the perception that it is more spacious and therefore more expensive. You’re not expected to compare the sq. footage.

:D That would be a great guess, except it was $50 cheaper :confused:

Maybe it has something to do with the fold down bed from the wall. Perhaps the BA does not have one and the B3 does. Therefore, you would be able to have 4 people in a B3 and only 3 in a BA. Also, the higher the deck the more expensive the room. I know on the POA, BA was the highest category balcony because it was on a higher floor. Just a guess.

Maybe it has something to do with the fold down bed from the wall. Perhaps the BA does not have one and the B3 does. Therefore, you would be able to have 4 people in a B3 and only 3 in a BA. Also, the higher the deck the more expensive the room. I know on the POA, BA was the highest category balcony because it was on a higher floor. Just a guess.

I understand the cost differences, as I said. And this is a good thought but it is the B2 that has the pulldown on the POA not the B3. The pearl doesn't have pulldowns in their family balcony cabins. I understand why the B1,2 & 3's are different numbers because of location. I just don't understand why B3 is called a family balcony when it appears to be identical to regular balconies BA or even BC which is right beside it.

And NCL has not been able to answer this question?

They didn't even know it was the same sq. footage until I told them. I don't have a PCC, it was just a rep at the call in reservation number.

Like most call-in centers they know what is on their screen in front of them, most probably haven't even seen a cruise ship let alone been on one. Not belittling them or their employment, just saying that they probably have limited training except what they actually deal with.

I have included a link to flyer from April 2011 that lists the differences to staterooms. The Dawn does not list the catergorization of B3 because my guess is there was no difference between the rooms. However other ships do list it and the difference was connectivity.

"Family Balcony (B2 quad

or quint, B3 connecting)"

http://www.ncl.com/csimages/696/493/RecatComparisonFlyer.pdf

I have included a link to flyer from April 2011 that lists the differences to staterooms. The Dawn does not list the catergorization of B3 because my guess is there was no difference between the rooms. However other ships do list it and the difference was connectivity.

"Family Balcony (B2 quad

or quint, B3 connecting)"

www.ncl.com/csimages/696/493/RecatComparisonFlyer.pdf

Thank you for that link mesci14. But I think you missed my question

I will use the Pearl and a B2 vs BB as my example

B2 – Family Balcony: These staterooms are perfect if you want to bring the whole family. With room for up to four guests, there are two lower beds that convert into a queen-size bed and a convertible sofa sleeps two more. Also includes a sitting area and floor-to-ceiling glass doors that open to a private balcony. 205sq. ft.. sleeps 4. connecting doors. Deck 10, forward aft.

Directly beside it on the ship is

BB - Balcony: These staterooms sleep up to four guests and come with two lower beds that convert into a queen-size bed and a convertible sofa pulls out to sleep two more. Also includes a sitting area and floor-to-ceiling glass doors that open to a private balcony. 205sq. ft.. sleeps 4. connecting doors. Deck 10, forward aft.

These cabins are side by side on the ship

So my question is why is one called a balcony and one a family balcony if they are exactly the same. If they are not exactly the same, does someone know the difference.

If you go to the Pearl website...I think you will note the "reclassification." The difference is the connectivity. This is straight from the Pearl's listing of Balconies. To use your examples...

(B3)Family Balcony

These connecting staterooms are great family accommodations. You can bring the whole family, with room for up to four guests. Features two lower beds that convert into a queen-size bed and a convertible sofa to sleep two more, as well as a sitting area and floor-to-ceiling glass doors that open to a private balcony.

Accommodates: 4

Approx. Size: 205 sq. ft.

(BB)Balcony

These staterooms sleep up to four guests and come with two lower beds that convert into a queen-size bed and a convertible sofa pulls out to sleep two more. Also includes a sitting area and floor-to-ceiling glass doors that open to a private balcony.

If you go to the Pearl website...I think you will note the "reclassification." The difference is the connectivity. This is straight from the Pearl's listing of Balconies. To use your examples...

(B3)Family Balcony

These connecting staterooms are great family accommodations. You can bring the whole family, with room for up to four guests. Features two lower beds that convert into a queen-size bed and a convertible sofa to sleep two more, as well as a sitting area and floor-to-ceiling glass doors that open to a private balcony.

(BB)Balcony

These staterooms sleep up to four guests and come with two lower beds that convert into a queen-size bed and a convertible sofa pulls out to sleep two more. Also includes a sitting area and floor-to-ceiling glass doors that open to a private balcony.

as i said above the BB's have connecting as well

OOps just noticed you switched to talking about B2 versus B3. Will check out B2's through various sources...B2 on the Pearl description offers no discrepancy

The Pearl just happened to be the one I brought up and those happened to be the balcony vs family balcony i seen. Sorry wasn't trying to confuse the issue, the first place i seen this a few days ago was with a b3 and a ba, but it obviously also applies to bb vs b2 as well, just very weird.