Music on the Dawn

Hi,

We're trying to figure out if NCL will be a good line for us. One of the things we very much enjoyed about our first (and only) cruise on a different line was the string trio in one of the lounges.

What sorts of light classical music (if any) are available onboard the NCL Dawn, and in what atmosphere? Are there string players? Does it vary from cruise to cruise or is it fairly constant across the years?

I found a posted Freestyle Daily from a couple of years ago that showed Piano, vocals, and dance music (although I couldn't tell for sure from the description what genre of music would be played other than Jazz, which might be nice if it is the quiet easy-listening sort, but I would prefer classical, and would prefer strings which I didn't see in the list).

Thanks!

We didn't have string players on the Dawn in 2009 or on the Star (sister ship to the Dawn) in 2011.

We got lucky on our cruise on the Dawn to Bermuda last fall because there was a chartered group/orchestra of semi-professional musicians from the Netherlands celebrating their 100th anniversary. NCL (or was it CD Matt Baker?) allowed the group to form into various combos and give performances of their 'gypsy' style throughout the cruise. It was a wonderful entertainment add-on that you definitely do not get on a normal cruise! Sometimes the sets were announced in advance, other times they were impromptu affairs.

Here's a photo from the Big Band show in the main showroom on the afternoon of the second sea day on the way to Bermuda:

232323232%7Ffp43444%3Enu%3D3253%3E2%3C7%3E336%3EWSNRCG%3D3436%3A93959327nu0mrj

Thanks again to NCL, Matt Baker, and the Tzigane Gypsy Group!

@Two if by Sea -

We don't even count on live classical music onboard. We turn the PA system in the cabin off and listen to our iPod.

@ddloml -

Some years ago we were sitting at Amsterdam airport between flights, when we heard choir music drifting towards us. We found a group of Finnish singers giving an impromptu folk music concert in the transit area. Wonderful serendipity.

I don't recall seeing a string group on any of the NCL ships we've been on. There are several different venues for music including the grand atrium, several lounges and of course the different shows. There are grand pianos in the MDR's and occasionally they are played during the evening meal.

We have enjoyed a latin group in the grand atrium a number of times on the Star. I don't know their specific group name but they play/sing popular songs from several generations.

My family isn't fond of classical (sorry) so we wouldn't seek it out. But I don't recall ever seeing anything about classical in the dailies. That doesn't mean there hasn't been any.

Hmm, thanks. Maybe I need a different line. Or a new taste in music :).

Actually I think light jazz would do fine as well. But we would definitely want SOMEWHERE to sit and listen to some quiet live music while reading and watching the ocean.

two if by sea - when I was on the Dawn in March there wasn't a lot of "quiet" music. I do remember there was a piano player/singer at Gatsby's each evening. Our "neighbors" loved her. I don't know if she's still on board.

There was also a gentleman at a piano in the Venitian for the first hour or so of dinner every night.

I love NCL for many reasons, but the music they offer is not one of them. I have never heard any classical music, so I bring my own to listen to in my cabin or while sitting out on the balcony. A few years ago I went on a few NCL cruises where there was at least one, sometimes two singer/pianists who played some great standards, Porter, Gershwin, etc. but even that has been replaced, at least on my last two cruises, with the music of Neil Diamond and others of the seventies/eighties vintage - not my cup of tea.

Archived