The Carnivale??

revkev

Seeing the one thread about the old Carnival ship made me wonder whatever happened to the Carnivale. That was the first ship we went on back in...well let's just say a number of years ago.

Thank you,

Kevin

That was the first cruise my ex and I ever took.. we had an inside cabin with bunk beds with a toilet with water that sloshed over! Oh how times have changed.... makes me think that was the SS Minnow reincarnated:D

We had one of those inside rooms, too. Who can forget the romance of the bunk beds.

Oh, and don't forget about those great spacious bathrooms. Wasn't the sink in with the shower? It's soo long I can barely remember. I can just remember how small it was. And, oh how it rocked...and I don't mean rock 'n roll.

Anyone else?

Yup... and after you showered... the floor was under an inch of water. If you tried to dry your hair after that you would have electrocuted yourself! We got off that and said "well that was OK"... then the next year we went on RCCL Monarch of the Seas.. it was one of it's first sailings.. we walked into the atrium and started laughing... and decided that our first cruise really s*()!

It was an experience to say the least! Now I'm at 20+ cruises and cruise alone and that 1st cruise is a very distant memory but funny to look back on.

what happened to Festivale? I went on that back in 1980ish. And how about RC Song of Norway that we went on for our honeymoon in 1990. Both of the ones we have been on are retired. Will we be totally amazed when we go on Glory in Jan?

The following shows the end of Festivale in 2003

Shipping News: Passenger ship and cruise news from around the world

May 30 2003 - December 31 2003

Remnants of RED

December 31: Images taken today of BIG BOAT (ex TRANSVAAL CASTLE, SA VAAL, FESTIVALE, ISLANDBREEZE, THE BIG RED BOAT III) at Alang show a long sliver of her midships keel, (used to winch the remains ashore) attached to a terraced outpost of her remaining aft third superstructure. The outer plating has been removed, exposing the remains to the elements. The breaking process has been long and slow since the ship's arrival in July.

BILL D-

I have to ask, are you rich? How do you afford to go on more than 1 cruise every year? I want to be like YOU when I grow up-LOL :)

Look at Zone's list of cruises.:) And he is semi-unemployed most of the time.:eek:

***PROUD MEMBER O.A.T.C.***

Fantasy 96,97,

Victory 2001

Spirit 2002

Legend 2002

Glory with the Hounds 2003

Conquest 2004

Sensation 2004

Mariner with the Hounds 2004

Sensation 2004

Miracle 2005

Inspiration 2005

Caribbean Princess 2005

Pride 2005

Valor 2005

Legend 2006

Enchantment of the Seas 2006

unknown cruise 2006

Conquest 2006

Hawaii 2007

My first cruise was on the Festivale although, my experience was a bit different than some of the ones described here. I went with 3 other girls and were booked in probably the cheapest quad cabin available. Well, the upgrade fairy took pity on us and upgraded us to a blacony suite. There were only 10 balconies on the entire ship so that was some upgrade. The people we met were sooooo jealous. The funny thing is, that "suite" was about the same size as a standard size cabin today, except that we had a full size tub and shower. I remember meeting a couple on their honeymoon that had booked an inside cabin on the lowest deck. We saw it once and I couldn't believe how small it was. It was just big enough for bunks on one wall and about 4 feet of space from the bunk to the wall. I don't recall what the bathroom was like. I can't believe they spent their honeymoon there.

If you wanted to use an electric appliance, razor, curling iron, whatever, you had to go to a special room on each deck that had electrical outlets. None in the cabins. :eek:

The Carnivale was my first cruise too!! My grandparents took my brother and me (only grandchildren they had). I remember a little room with two porthole windows. We thought that we had made it to the big time when we sailed on the Ecstacy in 1991 with them and had an ocean view room with the panorama window :rolleyes: . How things change!!

When I sailed on the Carnivale, her cruise director was the late Malcolm Kennedy, one of the best who ever lived. John Heald got a little misty-eyed when we discussed Malcolm at the repeaters party on the Triumph.

My first cruise was on the Carnivale in 1981. I thought the ship was huge and awesome (nothing to compare to it!) Booked a guaranteed quad with three total strangers as roomates--had a blast! I was hooked for sure. I'll be sailing away on the Glory on 4/2--my 18th cruise!

My first cruise was the Carnivale. Got lost more than a few times trying to find my way around on that thing. Did go into one of the 2 room suites as we were getting ready to leave. That was a pretty nice cabin with a full bathroom between the bedroom and a living room and doors on all three rooms.

Archived