Villefranche to Monte Carlo

Lusamm36

Hi

This is really out of date information but in 2002 with RCI we paid 40 odd dollars each to go to Nice and the onto Monte Carlo 'on your own' The year later (with Celebrity) we decided to go to Monaco on the train and I'm sure it was only about 2 euros.

Try this link that I've just found, it may help

//www.europeportreviews.com/MonteCarlo3.htmd

Have fun

Train is the best bet - the bus (number 100, cost 1euro) is another option, but is at the top of the village so a trek uphill. Having said that, personally I'd head in the other direction to Nice, or stay in Villefranche which is lovely...

I don't know the exact charge for the train, but in the region of 8eu per person return.

Mary

The buses are very frequent, easy and cheap fron Villefranche to Monaco and all along the coast. We stayed a week on the coast and used them all the time. Train is good too.

Just be careful getting back if you return by bus, as the Monaco to Nice traffic builds up in the afternoon. Give yourself plenty of time. :)

The buses are very frequent, easy and cheap fron Villefranche to Monaco and all along the coast.

Agreed. My point was to avoid an uphill walk to the bus stop from the ship.

In fact what we'd do, having spent quite a few weeks in the area, is train from Villefranche to Monaco and number 100 bus back, then wander back down to the ship through the old town. Even better, we'd avoid Monaco entirely and go to Nice, but that's subjective.

Mary:)

Agreed. My point was to avoid an uphill walk to the bus stop from the ship.

In fact what we'd do, having spent quite a few weeks in the area, is train from Villefranche to Monaco and number 100 bus back, then wander back down to the ship through the old town. Even better, we'd avoid Monaco entirely and go to Nice, but that's subjective.

Did you go to Eze Village? Great spot for a ship excursion. What a beautiful place with fantastic views.

We stayed in Eze Bord du Mer and Beaulieu Sur Mer as well as Nice. There's such a lot to explore along that lovely coast. :)

Walk to ther top of the hill and get the bus, only 1 euro each way and buses are very regular both ways so you can either go to Monaco or Nice in the other direction, we did Monaco and absolutely loved it.

Did you go to Eze Village? Great spot for a ship excursion. What a beautiful place with fantastic views.

Yup, marvellous views from the top of the gardens, though if I just had one day in the area Eze wouldn't be at the top of my list; at the risk of repeating myself, Nice would be.

We also love Cannes, which was unexpected, and, as expected, Antibes. Not keen on Monaco, as you may have gathered, though wonderful people-watching opportunities...

Yup, marvellous views from the top of the gardens, though if I just had one day in the area Eze wouldn't be at the top of my list; at the risk of repeating myself, Nice would be.

We also love Cannes, which was unexpected, and, as expected, Antibes. Not keen on Monaco, as you may have gathered, though wonderful people-watching opportunities...

Nice was a bit of a mess last time we were there, with all the roadworks.

We still have Antibes and Cannes to do. Something very special about the light in the S of France. :)

Love the yachts in Monaco, husband loves the cars.

Love the yachts in Monaco, husband loves the cars.

Husband loves the cars. My tragically sad hobby is watching the terrifying results of surgery sauntering past. The average French plastic surgeon must have an amazing sense of humour...

The train station in Monaco involves quite a long walk through underground passages to reach the outside. The coach parks are also underground, but nearer the sights. Monaco itself is basically a big hill with the palace, restaurants and shops on the top. There is a little tourist train available from near the top that will trundle you round the sights, the harbour and Monte Carlo. I don't know where the buses stop.

Carol x

Thank you Carol will rethink my options.

Villefranche itself is well worth a visit and this is definitely your easiest option - the harbour area is lovely, and the old town meanders up the hill so you can walk as far as your parents feel comfortable with.

We visit the town every time we're in the area.

Mary

Archived