Paestum and Amalfi drive - doable?

cheffip

Here's a question for Hank or one of the other Campania experts. My ship will be in port in Naples from 7:00 am to 6:30 pm in early November. I've been in the region a couple of times before and would like to combine something new with the Amalfi coastal drive.

I was thinking of taking the train from Naples to Paestum (I understand some go direct en route to Reggio Calabria and others would involve a change at Salerno). I would visit the ruins (not sure how much time is needed??), then take in the scenery of the Amalfi coast by taking the bus back from Salerno. Or would the reverse be better with the Amalfi drive in the morning and the train back to Naples? Would there also be time to stop at an Amalfi coastal town for lunch? Is this too ambitious as a DIY with the time available?

I dont think its possible. Google maps shows it as a 1:45 minute drive but it took me over 2hrs with good traffic and closer to 3 on the drive back in bad traffic. The amalfi coast route is closer to 4 hrs. Paestum itself is a huge place, well worth the drive, but needs a few hours at the very least to explore. The train might be quicker but where is the closest stop and what are the schedules. Good for you in seeking out the paths less travelled but what about exploring Naples itself? A lot less time on the road and so much to see within walking distance from the ship.

Spectacular views from Castel St Elmo(30 minutes foot and funicular),roman ruins just at the port, world class museum with roman and greek artifacts 30 min walk, underground naples tour(scary and fun) and all the while staying within a city founded by the greeks 2500 years ago and eating local food in the birthplace of pizza.I love Naples and thought I might put in a plug for a city too often overlooked by cruise ship daytrippers.

Also lots of other options close to Naples.

Archived