Oasis/Allure Surprise Cruise telling hubby we're sailing Carnival!

Okay so for the last couple of weeks my husband and I have been trying to find a cruise for May 2012. We were tossing around Oasis/Allure/Freedom/Bermuda on NCL/ or Carnival. We've crossed Bermuda off the list just because we're thinking it will still be too chilly to do water activities and Ive told my DH that I dont want to sail any of the mega ships until we have Diamond privleges (we're Emerald and short 4 nights to get us to Diamond) sooo we decided on Carnival.. but here's where it gets good... I'm gonna trick him and book Oasis or Allure and then Im going to try to keep it a secret till he realizes that I am driving us to the wrong ship!

So I need some help! Help me trick my husband!

So Im either going to book Oasis for May 5th which is a Saturday at ($915/person) or Allure for April 29th which is a Sunday at ($919/person) both easterns. Honestly the price isnt much of a difference but Allure we wouldnt have to wait so long to go on our cruise but since we're locals I prefer sailing on a Saturday to a Sunday cause then I have Sat/Sunday when I come home to relax. So I'm leaning towards Oasis. What do you guys think?

Okay so next step is I need to tell my husband what cruise he thinks we'll be sailing on. He really wants to go cave tubing in Belize and he thinks we've decided on a Western Itinerary so my options are if we do Allure on April 29th; Carnival Glory is also sailing April 29th, or if we do Oasis May 5th we have two choices a 7 night Western Caribbean on Carnival Liberty (Miami)or an 8 nighter mixed caribbean but it leaves out of Fort Lauderdale, so he wouldnt realize we're realy sailing Oasis till I pull up to the "wrong" ship... but then I can tell him I just want to drive by it to show him and then when we get up to the drop off area I can spring the surprise on him and tell him to get out of the car!

Now I handle all the planning, reserving, paying booking of excursions ect ect ect... I of course plan and talk it all out with hubby, but he doesnt actually do any of the booking. I also get the mail everyday and sort through it. So i am not worried about him seeing or not seeing any confirmations ect. I really think I can pull this off! Now we always sit down and plan out all of our excursions together so Im going to have to plan "fake" excursions and then really book our real ones, I can pretty much know what he'd like to do so Im not worried he wont like the excursions I planned.

Do you guys think Im nuts? I think this would be ALOT of fun! He keeps saying how he wants to try the mega ships and Im the one who always says we're going to wait... but I think he would be SOOO excited. On the other hand he might not.... what do all of my C.C. peeps think?

Help me trick my husband!

he wouldnt realize we're realy sailing Oasis till I pull up to the "wrong" ship... but then I can tell him I just want to drive by it to show him and then when we get up to the drop off area I can spring the surprise on him and tell him to get out of the car!

Now I handle all the planning, reserving, paying booking of excursions ect ect ect... I of course plan and talk it all out with hubby, but he doesnt actually do any of the booking. I also get the mail everyday and sort through it. So i am not worried about him seeing or not seeing any confirmations ect. I really think I can pull this off!

Do you guys think Im nuts? I think this would be ALOT of fun! He keeps saying how he wants to try the mega ships and Im the one who always says we're going to wait... but I think he would be SOOO excited. On the other hand he might not.... what do all of my C.C. peeps think?

I love it! First of all, since you routinely handle the planning, reserving, sorting the mail, etc. he's obviously comfortable with you making decisions, and he's not a 'control freak'. And you already know he's wanting to cruise on a mega ship. I like how you would drive up to the RCI ship (btw, I'd prefer a Saturday departure too), just to get a close up view of the ship. When you're at the drop off area, you could mention that there's something you want to ask him about your cruise docs, as you hand them to him... like how he feels about sailing on the Oasis? Can you imagine his reaction when you spring the surprise on him?! There you are, right at the ship and ready to board!

I love surprises, and faked my parents out one time when they visited us in Florida. We went to DisneyWorld and only my DH and my Mom knew we were staying overnight in Orlando, we were going to surprise my Dad. And Mom thought we were just staying at a regular hotel. So we drive up to one of the official Disney resorts, letting them know we were just going to have a look around. Well, out came our suitcases from the trunk- surprising my Dad with the overnight stay, and my Mom who was thrilled to be staying at the resort!

Let us know how it goes! :D

I love the idea! I envy you because I cannot keep a secret that long. I'm taking my boyfriend on his first cruise and I've been trying to think of ways to surprise him. I'm afraid I've already shared too much with him to surprise him the way you plan on doing.

But, in a way, this has inspired me. It's always been his dream to go deep sea fishing, so maybe I'll tell him we're going snorkeling off a catamaran and then surprise him with the deep sea fishing boat when we're at the dock. Somewhat similar, I suppose.

Sounds like a great idea. I think it will be pretty easy to pull off as well based on what you posted above. Sounds like his only disappointment will not being able to cave tube in Belize, but I bet he'd trade that for a week on Oasis/Allure.

Enjoy it and keep us posted.

Think about how you are going to handle the "lack of" luggage tags, etc.....

"Gee, we never got our luggage tags. Well, we can just get them at the pier..."

Perhaps the OP has a set of old Carnival docs she could cover the RCI ones with, :confused: although he couldn't be allowed to see them up close. I fooled my sister once when my DH and I had the same connecting flight into our hometown (to surprise my Mom for her birthday of course!). We met up with her at 'her' gate, right up until she needed to board. I had hidden my airline ticket in an old ticket jacket with another airline on it. She had NO idea we were on that same flight until we came up behind her a few minutes later (it was a rear entry plane), and I asked 'are these seats taken?". I had arranged for us to sit in the same row with her. :p

First of all I would LOVE to see my hubby try to go cave tubbing through central park! LOL I got the visual going and it's awesome! I think he will be bummed about the cave tubbing but will get over it pretty quickly.

Im not worried about luggage tags ect. I can always tell him that Carnival doesnt provide luggage tags and that we have to get them at the port. I keep all of our cruisng docs in a binder with our excursions, set sail pass, birth certificates ect.. last cruise he didnt even look at the binder. He's new to cruising and he's just one of those go with the flow let the wife handle everything kinda guys. I'm the cruise veteran so a little white lie here and there wont hurt anyone, and well, he'll believe whatever I tell him, at least when it comes to cruising he knows I have infinate more knowlege about it then he does. Also, I litterally pay all of our bills, handle our finances, everything (which I dont mind cause I am a control freak and it works out great) so it wont be weird to him not to see any of the info or for him to accidentally see our bank statement and see RCI on there. He doesnt ever look at our bank stuff. I love him but I have NO idea how he made it through 38 years of life without me!

I don't know your husband, but if my dw did that, I would be very upset. I don't like surprises.

A better surprise might be a 4-day cruise on the Majesty in the fall (low season) that would then qualify you for Diamond on the Oasis/Allure.

Carnival Liberty is a WONDERFUL ship, so I'm sure your husband would be excited if you told him that he was going on that ship! We've sailed on her twice, and both times have been absolutely memorable.

We just returned from the Allure and had a wonderful time as well (a completely kind of wonderful though!) so I'm sure that your husband will be excited.

Just make sure that your husband doesn't get too excited about the cave tubing which he won't get to experience!! I know that my wife would be ANGRY at me if I "surprised" her with yet another cruise to Nassau:rolleyes: no matter how wonderful the ship may be.

Can you at least go to the Western Caribbean so that your husband can go tubing in Jamaica?

You can copy and paste the excursion descriptions from RCCL's site into a Word doc, and then edit out any identifying info. This way he can still choose the exact things he'd like to do. :D

We're actually doing Western Itinerary in October on NCL Pearl (Great Stirup Cay, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman & Cozumel) thats why I want to do eastern on Oasis/Allure. but in Jamaica we're doing Dunns River Falls & Mystic Mountain (bobslead and zip linning) DH has never been to the bahamas or to Nassau so that will be new to him, its a short day 7-2 but I think he'll love the snorkeling there and then we plan on doing a 3 nighter in July for his birthday also to Nassau so he can check out Atlantis. We were just in St. Thomas on our S. Caribbean cruise on Serenade at the begining of the month and we want to go to St. John as neither of us have been so that will be new to both of us and then neither of us have been to St. Marteen either. It will all be new to him.

We're actually doing Western Itinerary in October on NCL Pearl (Great Stirup Cay, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman & Cozumel) thats why I want to do eastern on Oasis/Allure. but in Jamaica we're doing Dunns River Falls & Mystic Mountain (bobslead and zip linning) DH has never been to the bahamas or to Nassau so that will be new to him, its a short day 7-2 but I think he'll love the snorkeling there and then we plan on doing a 3 nighter in July for his birthday also to Nassau so he can check out Atlantis. We were just in St. Thomas on our S. Caribbean cruise on Serenade at the begining of the month and we want to go to St. John as neither of us have been so that will be new to both of us and then neither of us have been to St. Marteen either. It will all be new to him.

Can you tell him that he's gong to the Eastern Caribbean on Carnival so that at least he knows where he's going, instead of the surprise being bittersweet when he learns that he's not going to Belize or Roatan? My husband would be LIVID!

Can you tell him that he's gong to the Eastern Caribbean on Carnival so that at least he knows where he's going, instead of the surprise being bittersweet when he learns that he's not going to Belize or Roatan? My husband would be LIVID!

This would actually work if we pushed our cruise to May 19th on the Oasis as Carnival has an 8 day Eastern leaving out of Fort Lauderdale on May 19th as well on Carnival Freedom.

So I can actually pull of waiting till the very last second to tell him.

The Carnival Freedom has calls in St. Thomas (same as Oasis), Antigua (we were just there), Tortola (neither of us have been so I hope he doesnt get to excited about it), and Nassau (same as Oasis) at least he would get to pick out his excursions for St. Thomas and Nassau and they would be the same... St. Marteen would be where I would have to choose what we do.

This might work! Thanks for the suggestion...

First of all I would LOVE to see my hubby try to go cave tubbing through central park! LOL I got the visual going and it's awesome! I think he will be bummed about the cave tubbing but will get over it pretty quickly.

Im not worried about luggage tags ect. I can always tell him that Carnival doesnt provide luggage tags and that we have to get them at the port. I keep all of our cruisng docs in a binder with our excursions, set sail pass, birth certificates ect.. last cruise he didnt even look at the binder. He's new to cruising and he's just one of those go with the flow let the wife handle everything kinda guys. I'm the cruise veteran so a little white lie here and there wont hurt anyone, and well, he'll believe whatever I tell him, at least when it comes to cruising he knows I have infinate more knowlege about it then he does. Also, I litterally pay all of our bills, handle our finances, everything (which I dont mind cause I am a control freak and it works out great) so it wont be weird to him not to see any of the info or for him to accidentally see our bank statement and see RCI on there. He doesnt ever look at our bank stuff. I love him but I have NO idea how he made it through 38 years of life without me!

It's funny you mention that since CCL actually doesn't provide luggage tags. You have to print them off the website and make them on your own prior to sailing. So it won't even be a lie, and if he were to check he would discover the same. :D

KUDOS to you! I think it's a great idea. I'm sure your husband will flip when he finally realizes it. I'm great at keeping a secret and it would be so worth it to see his face when he finally realizes what is going on.

We cruised the Oasis in December and all I can say is "WOW"!!!! Our mouths dropped from time time we stepped on until we left 7 days later. The ship is amazing and there is so much to see and do. The food was fabulous as was the staff and everything else. I honestly found nothing wrong period with my 7 days.

I hope you have a fabulous time and be sure to let us know how it goes next year. :D

I think this is a fabulous idea and it looks like you have done your homework. And I think the fact that you will be on the Oasis will make up for any excursions he could or could not do. Incidently I will be sailing the Oasis on May 5th also. Good Luck!!!!

Archived