Car rentals.....

lovetexas

Is it safe to rent a car in Cancun? To drive to resort in Playa?

We are 5 women in a car by our selves.... are there really banditos that stop the cars demanding money and property??

Have heard some scary stories??

I haven't heard of bandito activity in that area. When driving in Mexico it is recommended that one drive the highways away from populated areas only during daylight hours and stay on major thoroughfares.

Is it safe to rent a car in Cancun? To drive to resort in Playa?

We are 5 women in a car by our selves.... are there really banditos that stop the cars demanding money and property??

Have heard some scary stories??

Perfectly safe if you obey all local laws. Personally I worry more about the gas station attendants and rental car companies than the police.

I am going to point you to a sister site, Trip Advisor. This link is for the Playa del Carmen forum, on the right had side of the forum there is a section called "Top Questions about Playa Del Carmen" Click on the link titled RENTAL CARS AND PARKING. You will see links to several forum posts that give great information about renting cars and driving in the area. The info applies to all the tourist areas in the Riviera Maya.

Link to TA Playa del Carmen forum

You'll also want to select your rental car company carefully and read all the fine print. If the price seems too low compared to all companies, it's probably not inclusive.

Here's a link to the Cancun forum where you can research or get opinions on the best rental car company to use, based at the airport.

Link to TA Cancun Forum

If you decide not to drive, there are plenty of options for private transfers to and from CUN to PDC hotels.

PDC and Cancun forums on TA are quite active, I think you'll find a wealth of info for your trip planning.

Archived