WAITING (and waiting and waiting...) for the rock climbing wall?

On my last cruise (Enchantment) I wanted to climb the rock wall. However, every time it was open and I went near it, it was PACKED!

When the ship is in port, I am too. i do not stay on the ship when docked (or tendering). This may be my first drawback to climbing.

Is there a sign up? I don't want to wait for hours just to climb. Help me out? What's the best time to climb?

On my last cruise (Enchantment) I wanted to climb the rock wall. However, every time it was open and I went near it, it was PACKED!

When the ship is in port, I am too. i do not stay on the ship when docked (or tendering). This may be my first drawback to climbing.

Is there a sign up? I don't want to wait for hours just to climb. Help me out? What's the best time to climb?

I found that a great time to climb is in the first half hour after sailing. Since we always come back about 30 minutes before sailing, I would just head to the room, change, watch the sailing from our balcony for about 15 minutes, then immediately head up to the rock wall. But then, we didn't have too many folks on our cruise that wanted to try the wall, but it was much lighter then than other times.

You can also ask the staff when it gets lighter and they often have an idea.

we were just on the Enchantment (March 10 sailing) we went to the rock wall three times (different times of the day) and went climbing right away, no wait except for the people working there they were waitting for people to come and climb. I guess it's just luck

Port days are usually "open climbing" meaning when you get there, you may have to wait a bit but you can climb as soon as the person in front of you is done. I believe it was for 2-3 hours two times a day? (Don't hold me to that.)

Obviously most people are off the ship doing other things so it is usually a light crowd.

Sea days have "hourly climbing" meaning it may be open for a period of 5 hours, however they will only sign up the first 20 or so people on line on the hour, every hour. The line for that can start up to 1/2 hour before the hour so it is good to be there early or else you will never get a spot.

There are rules to preclude people from hogging the wall - that is two climbs per person per day.

We were on voyager in 2003 and the sessions were much more limited. If you were lucky, it was an hour session. We climbed twice with no problems as long as we were there about 15 minutes early. Hopefully they have changed the policy because I wanted to climb more often but they just didn't have the hours.

How long and how often are the sessions usually? I'd like to climb several times when we're on the Navigator in June.

According to the staff that I spoke with on the Jewel last month, it varies from cruise-to-cruise and ship-to-ship. You should watch your Compass and go up and talk with the staff at the wall during the first "beginner's class" or the first time they are open. They'll be able to tell you the schedule for the week, whether they expect to have long lines, what the best times are, and if it will be busy enough to impose limits.

well, last time i went (august, NOS) there was usually a class every hour, and you needed to come 15 minutes early. The wait was never really long, but i though right after the early seating dinner, it was empty. (or close to it).I went twice a day sometimes...but the only downside was, that you needed to sign a waver...which got annoying.

Archived