MAASDAM looks Beautiful - She is All Spiffed Up

sail7seas

I meant to add......

I made a distinct point of looking straight down Starboard side of the ship as we boarded and I had a clear view of all the deck chairs in the area of Lanai Cabins. There were LOTS of chairs and I think just as many will be available for non-Lanai dwellers as were ever available before that category of cabin. Looked to me like the usual number of people who love to lounge there will be able to settle into a chair and enjoy.

I was so appreciative we visited in advance of our upcoming cruises as I was getting a sinking feeling that 'my' :) Maasdam wouldn't be as special to us anymore but she is. She still has that magic that draws us to her..... that magic is the people. The brief visit we had, we got to see crew we've known on prior cruises and that was wonderful. But in addition to the people, there is something about Maasdam that makes her alive for us. We 'feel' Maasdam; we feel a rhythmn, a safety, we just feel when we're on Maasdam. There are a few folks who have deep attachments to a ship and probably can express better than me what some ships mean to some people. Whatever that is, Maasdam does it for us and did from the day we first stepped aboard her for her Inaugural Party fresh out of Fincantieri as brand new ship.

While I always say (and feel) what is the most special about HAL is the people, all that is special about Maasdam is still there. She's still the very beautiful Maasdam, all spiffed up!!! Even her Bell was sparkling in the sun. As we approached from the parking lot, we saw the dressing flags and her bell all shiny and pretty as she was docked starboard to the dock. And we saw her freshly painted and looking wonderful.

If HAL ever changes her blue and white livery, it would be a sad, sad day IMO

Sail,

Was that the Inaugural sailing (Dec 1993) out of Fort Lauderdale, when they had all the difficulty opening the Champagne to pour over the bell during the Naming Ceremony? We were on the cruise also. That was quite a while ago; we were in Cabin 111 (which I thought appropriate for the Maiden Voyage -- Couldn't afford 001 :D). We have done a couple New England/Canada cruises on her since and are looking forward to the Voyage of the Vikings in about seven weeks.

Ray in NH -- for ONLY six more "Wake-Ups" :cool:

We were at her Inaugural Parties in Boston. She came directly to Black Falcon and they had wonderful festivities. We were even invited to stay overnight.

Our upcoming cruise on Maasdam will be our 31st on that beautiful ship. We feel a very strong attachment to her. I've never added up how many days on her but I think I'll do that. Now I'm curious.

We had initially booked the second half of Viking this year but had to cancel a while ago. We sail her for our annual Boston to Montreal to Boston b-to-b very soon and cannot wait. :)

Have a wonderful time on Viking. I'm sure it will be outstanding.

I meant to add......

I made a distinct point of looking straight down Starboard side of the ship as we boarded and I had a clear view of all the deck chairs in the area of Lanai Cabins. There were LOTS of chairs and I think just as many will be available for non-Lanai dwellers as were ever available before that category of cabin. Looked to me like the usual number of people who love to lounge there will be able to settle into a chair and enjoy.

Ahhhhhh...music to my ears, Judy! I've been concerned...on our last Maasdam cruise (pre-lanai's), there wasn't an empty chair to be found...so I thought it would be hopeless this coming January.

I promised to post the dates of William and Kate's visit to PEI as the Maasdam cruisers were interested in knowing if the Maasdam would be there at the same time. The dates were announced today and Their Royal Highnesses will be in Summerside and Charlottetown on July 3rd and 4th.

Upon checking the HAL website I can see that the Maasdam will not be calling in PEI until July 5th.

I'm sorry the dates do not line up as I know that some of you were hoping that they would.

Sapper.....

I did a quick read on Google and found:

•Ottawa: June 30 - July 2.

•Montreal: July 2.

•Quebec City: July 3.

•Charlottetown: July 3 - July 4.

•Summerside: July 4.

•Yellowknife: July 4 - July 6.

•Calgary: July 6 - July 8.

It seems Maasdam will be in Quebec City the day that William and Katherine visit there, July 3. Would be fun to catch a glimpse of the handsome couple. I was glued to the TV watching the wedding. :o

I also just realized July 2, is Debark/Embark day in Montreal and the couple is expected to be in Montreal on that date .... along with Maasdam. :)

I'd love to get a glimpse of them and I don't mind saying so. :D

I think they seem to be delightful, very much in love couple. Who doesn't love a good romance? :)

Archived