Recent QM2 passengers disembarking in NY

FoghornLeghorn

I've done some searching on C.C. on information regarding disembarking in Brooklyn and transfers. However, not seeing anything too recent....

I will be disembarking on a Friday from the QM2 TA.

1. Is LGA the closest and best airport to use?

(flying within the continental U.S.)

2. What is the earliest you would suggest I book a return flight for?

3. Is Cunard's transfers to the airport a good option? (one person)

4. If I can't get out of NY until late afternoon or evening, what suggestions would you have for the day?

5. Does Cunard offer the Onboard Airline check in and luggage transfer to the airport like some of the other cruise lines?

I really don't want to end a wonderful vacation being stressed about getting to the airport on time.

Thanks for any ideas and opinions you can send my way :)

Hi FoghornLeghorn. Just my personal opinion, but more important than which airport was closest to the port, I'd find the flight that got me from point A to point B in the continental US, and then work out how to get to the airport from which that flight departed. Newark, JFK and LaGuardia airports are all within easy travel distance from the Brooklyn port. (White Plains airport is a little used option as flights are limited and the distance is somewhat further from the port, but airfares can be much lower for certain destinations.)

Once you know the time your ship scheduled to dock, the time your flight is scheduled to depart (no earlier than 1 pm I suggest) and from what airport, then you will be in a better position to work out the best way to get where you want to be:) And other more expericenced travellers will no doubt have better advice than mine :) Regards, -S.

Hi Reba, Please tell us where you want to go via air.

LaGuardia is good for west bound flights to the mid west, Chicago and connecting flights. If your going trans con, then JFK would be best for American and Delta Flights- United also has their PS transcons from JFK to LA and SF (but they are pricey) , Newark for United and Continental flights, JFK would be best if you planning to travel to the southeast on Delta or anywhere on Jetblue, Newark, best if your traveling on United/Continental to the southwest.

If you will tell us your destination we can offer more suggestions.

As for time, you should be able to make any flight from any of the three airports after noon. I think the Cunard service is the most cost effective $40 per person, especially if Newark is your airport. Taxis from New York to New Jersey can be expensive. If you choose them, they will also coordinate your departure from the ship to make sure you can make your flight.

Cheers Mike.

THANKS Salacia and BigMike!

I can fly out of JFK or LGA, either works for my airline choices. (Delta, AA, or Continental)

Looks like LGA is closer and possibly less hassle and traffic jams...making a 12:30 pm flight possible.

(someone please speak up if you don't agree) :D

Sounds like Cunard transport will work, also.

Now, to find out what to do IF I take a later flight...and..

does Cunard do the Onboard Airport check in.

(couldn't find it on the Cunard web site - so I'm assuming they don't offer that)

THANKS Salacia and BigMike!

I can fly out of JFK or LGA, either works for my airline choices. (Delta, AA, or Continental)

Looks like LGA is closer and possibly less hassle and traffic jams...making a 12:30 pm flight possible.

(someone please speak up if you don't agree) :D

Sounds like Cunard transport will work, also.

Now, to find out what to do IF I take a later flight...and..

does Cunard do the Onboard Airport check in.

(couldn't find it on the Cunard web site - so I'm assuming they don't offer that)

LGA may be closer but it's via the BQE which I think get easily backed up with traffic. I'd do JFK.

I'm not sure what the BQE is..but if it backs up and causes traffic problems then it's not for me :D:D

Thanks Boytjie! will look into more flights out of JFK.

The BQE is the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway. For more information see http://www.nycroads.com/roads/brooklyn-queens/

Just my personal suggestion: take a look at what Cunard is offering for transfers to the airport. Since we drive home from Redhook, I've not experienced the transfer, but several passengers on QM2 have told me it worked well for them: Easy peasy, early off the ship and on to the bus. A short tour of Manhattan including a couple of hours free time in Mid-town and then on to the airport. Of course, there are other private options available, depending on what time your flight departs and what your budget allows. Regards, -S.

You can used the computers in the internet center or the Library to check in and print your boarding passes the day before you arrive. Make sure the computer your using has a printer nearby. If your in the Queens Grill the Concierge will be happy to print it for you

If your going out of LGA, depending on where you live, you will likely have a connection. No Transcon Service. If your going to Florida LGA works on Delta via atlanta or American to Miami, If your going on Continental/United you will likely have to change in Houston, Chicago or Denver. They have non Stops from Newark, (EWR.) to a number of places. Since I live in Southern California, I prefer non-stops.

If you would like to share the general area you interested in traveling too we can be more helpful.

Cheers Mike

BigMike: I saw your reply about Hilton hotels on another thread....would love to ask you some more questions. If you can, would you email me at FoghrnLegh @ aol.com - I'd really appreciate it. :)

I will print my boarding passes onboard - Thanks Mike!

Thanks Salacia - I'll do the Cunard transfers

Y'all are the best!!

I'm not sure what the BQE is..but if it backs up and causes traffic problems then it's not for me :D:D

Thanks Boytjie! will look into more flights out of JFK.

Sorry about that: momentary lapse in expecting everyone to know the abbreviations for New York roads! Thanks, Salacia for providing an explanation. :)

Sorry about that: momentary lapse in expecting everyone to know the abbreviations for New York roads! Thanks, Salacia for providing an explanation. :)

Boytjie, actually much to my chagrin and despite being a native New Yorker, I had to think for a minute about what the initals BQE stood for :)...I think we locals call it the BQE because it is anything but an Expressway - often it's more like a parking lot (but the views are interesting). :) Cheers, Salacia

Yeah, the BQE is a nightmare!! The other consideration is that out of JFK there are a LOT of flights, so if there is a traffic delay, or an equipment problem causing a cancelled flight, out of JFK, you'll have many more opportunities to still get out that same day. Whereas LaGuardia is much more limited and missing s flight or a cancellation could result in a longer delay, an unexpected overnight, or an airport change (in which case they'd end up sending you to JFK anyway). I, myself, always choose JFK over LGA.

Boytjie, actually much to my chagrin and despite being a native New Yorker, I had to think for a minute about what the initals BQE stood for :)...I think we locals call it the BQE because it is anything but an Expressway - often it's more like a parking lot (but the views are interesting). :) Cheers, Salacia

Well, the LIE is known as the world's largest parking lot. ;)

Archived