Best luggage for 13 night Med cruise, Rome 3 days

Hubby and I are going on a 14 day transatlantic, and will be using a rolling bag, and a backpack. Both are within the standards of carry on, so we can have a total of 4 carry on bags. We each get 1 carry on and personal item, so the backpack will be our personal items.

Here's the rolling bag http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C0JW12/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=magenta321-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217153&creative=399701&creativeASIN=B004C0JW12

And the backpack http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C0PHNE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=magenta321-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217153&creative=399701&creativeASIN=B004C0PHNE

They're super-light, and smart packing. I am so excited to have found them!

That backpack is most assuredly NOT a personal item.

Did you look at the dimensions??

Roller: 9 x 21.5 x 15 inches

Backpack: 9 x 22 x 14 inches

Cruisin Nut - Spinners are nice to have in the travel arsenal.

I have a carry-on sized one that I use for routes that have fairly flat and smooth roads. So trips like flying to a cruise would be easy to take a spinner. It wouldn't work too well for taking public transit into cities with pits and pots, deep pile carpet, lots of steps, or cobble stones. Or steep hills like lovely San Francisco...

How young are the grandchildren? If they are younger, there are some very cute suitcases that are kid height. If they are teens then spinners might work.

Spinners do add a some weight to the overall luggage, even if you get a polycarbonate model. If you get the kids carry-ons, be sure they can lift 20+ lbs over their head. It's also another two wheels that can break and unfortunately most luggage company warranties aren't what they used to be. If you are looking for coverage on that angle, this thread might help http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1040885-luggage-unconditional-life-time-warranty.html

There's usually some brightly colored luggage at Marhsalls or TJ Maxx for a decent price, if all you want is a piece of occasional luggage that you don't mind replacing after a while. Just dump some heavier stuff inside to simulate the weight and drag it around for a bit to see how well it maneuvers.

I will say my two wheeled carry-on sees more action than the spinner since it is a bit bigger and I don't mind checking it if I have to. This is one woman who would be taking a carry on for a 14 night transatlantic cruise but I admit maybe I have a little too much fun trying to travel in one carry on bag (+personal item) style.

Thanks for all your information. I guess I never really thought so much about luggage. My grandkids are young 4 & 7 but they have some of that little kids stuff. I wanted to get them something they can have awhile and they can have some room inside. I still don't want the standard, black, blue red. I want something that they can find on the turn tables.

Thanks again for all your info, it is very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
We have decided to get new luggage for upcoming Mariner cruise Sept. We want something versatile,lightweight,and colorful to pick out easily. What are your suggestions?:D

My DH and I have two sets of luggage from Lands End. One is a black suitcase with ivory trim with a matching carry-on. Lands End monograms their luggage if you request it, so ours really stands out plus we know which bag belongs to which person.;)

We also have a similar royal blue set with ivory trim (suitcase plus carry-on). Depending on where we're going and what time of the year determines which set we'll use (the black ones are much bigger). These bags were all purchased in the last few years, so are much lighter in weight than our 10-year old navy blue set (also Lands End).

They're not cheap but are of excellent quality plus Lands End frequently has special sales and you may be able to find some online coupons as well. We think of these as an investment that we'll be using for many more years to come.:)

The very best luggage, is very little luggage. :)

We fly quite a lot (well over 1.5 million butt in seat miles so far) and have never had a problem with our Costco luggage--roll aboard--so we have never looked any further.

We always fly business or first, so we can check a fair amount of stuff for free, but rarely do--only if we are taking ski gear or will be gone for more than two weeks and that's mostly for my unguents and potients.

For our Mediterranean cruise (2.5 weeks) we will each take a Costco roll aboard and check one bag. Of course, it does help to be Elite on Princess so we can have our laundry and dry cleaning done for free every few days. That also takes the stress out of shoving a tux into a tightly packed bag. ;)

I rely heavily on Chico's Traveler basic pants (for warm weather I will take both a long pair for travel and evening, and a capri-length pair for cruising and touring) and contemporary tank tops. With those basics, a quick change of a top or jewelry creates a whole new outfit that could (depending on the top) be as appropriate strolling around a port city, as it is at the opera or a formal night. These can easily be washed by hand in your cabin and will be dry in no time.

Most people, IMHO, get too worked up about luggage and take way, way, way too much stuff. Even when we go for a week with just one carry-on each, we still end up taking way too much stuff.

Avoid the burden of dragging around a lot of stuff.

Archived