Where would you stay in London

gbearbuck

My wife and I are visiting London for a few nights then taking the qm2 back to the states. We are going to use Hilton HHonnors points, so cost isn't an issue. Which Hilton family hotel would you suggest we stay? Why do you suggest this? What are some of the "can't miss" venue's you suggest we see? Any suggestions are welcome (we've never been to London).

If your going to use points, I would suggest the Hilton Park Lane. Its in the very center of london, near transport and a very elegant hotel. I think its the best Hilton in London.

Its an easy taxi ride from Paddington (Heathrow Express from LHR), or Victoria station if your comming on the Gatwick Express from there. Its close to Picadilly, Mayfair, the West End Theatres, and shopping on Oxford St. With in an easy walk to Buckingham Palace for the changing of the guard. Tube close to Kensington for shopping and the Museums.

There are others of course, and if you have specific things you want to do, there may be better choices closer to your interests

You might try the Hilton web site to find others

Cheers Mike.

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at either Park Lane, Trafalgar, or the Waldorf Hilton. It seems reviews indicate the rooms at Trafalgar are quite small, and the Waldorf (Hilton) location might be better for business folks not vacationers.

There is a Waldorf Astoria property west of the city (actually two). It is called the Bentley. It looks nice, however there doesn't appear to be anything around it (maybe a University?)...

I'm thinking I'll choose the Park Lane location (the more within walking distance the better).

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at either Park Lane, Trafalgar, or the Waldorf Hilton. It seems reviews indicate the rooms at Trafalgar are quite small, and the Waldorf (Hilton) location might be better for business folks not vacationers.

There is a Waldorf Astoria property west of the city (actually two). It is called the Bentley. It looks nice, however there doesn't appear to be anything around it (maybe a University?)...

I'm thinking I'll choose the Park Lane location (the more within walking distance the better).

The Waldorf Bentley is in Kensington. There is plenty around. However, I'd suggest you take a look at the reviews on tripadvisor.

I don't think there is any question --- the Hilton Park Lane. It was there before other high-rise buildings in that part of London. Its location is unbeatable. Walk down Curzon to Berkeley Square or over to Piccadilly and into Green Park or over to Hyde Park. You might well be able to look into the gardens of Buckingham Palace! This is a no-brainer since you said you wanted to use Hilton Hotel points.

HI

For whatever it is worth, you may also consider a stay at the London School of Economics right at Trafalgar Square. Very inexpensive and well located right in the heart of London. This is student housing but made available to travelers and visitors when school is not in session. Most rooms have a private bath. No televison or room service but who cares. I stayed in a room last Summer for a week and loved it. Let me know if you need contact information. Have fun in LOndon. It is a fabulous city.

Deck Chair.

Our room was very small. Great location though.

Yup, mine too, generally par for the course in central London. Although I think they have larger room if you are ok with the price.

Never stayed at the Hilton so can't comment. One thing I would highly recommend when visiting London is the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London, it is performed in the evening. Tickets are free but have to be applied for well in advance, a genuine piece of British History. Take a look at hrp.org.uk/toweroflondon for more details. Depending when you are visiting Buckingham Palace may be open to the public, the Royal Mews at the palace are very interesting with the state coaches and vehicles on display. A trip on the London Eye gives superb views over London - there's so much to see, it's a fantastic city.

Never stayed at the Hilton so can't comment. One thing I would highly recommend when visiting London is the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London, it is performed in the evening. Tickets are free but have to be applied for well in advance, a genuine piece of British History. Take a look at hrp.org.uk/toweroflondon for more details. Depending when you are visiting Buckingham Palace may be open to the public, the Royal Mews at the palace are very interesting with the state coaches and vehicles on display. A trip on the London Eye gives superb views over London - there's so much to see, it's a fantastic city.

While you are at the Eye, for which I recommend that you book tickets on line in advance as there are long queues, there is a ride on an amphibious second world war type Duck into the Thames and around the local area see http://www.londonducktours.co.uk/ for details and prices etc. By the way a lot of London hotel rooms are small and quite hot.

wow! Thanks for all the replies... fortunately, we have eleven months before our trip. My wife was listing all the places she wants to visit. Not sure we could hit all her locations if we were in town for a month... Thanks again, I'm going to go with the park lane location.

If you are arriving at Heathrow, it is less expensive to book a car service, private vehicle, for 2 or more people, than taking the HEX and a taxi from Paddington to your hotel. I use justairports and have always been completely satisfied with their service.

Park Lane is an excellent choice. YOu'll be close to Apsley House , Wellington's house with beautiful rooms to tour

Archived