New to HAL - Oosterdam SA/SC Question

capnlars

Going on Oosterdam in May, 2012 - first time on HAL......

We are looking at an SC vs an SA. We like the idea of the SC with the wraparound balcony in back. On the last couple of ships we've been on, there's been an annoying side-to-side vibration while underway that seemed very noticeable only when aft (assume it's prop vibrations).

Anyone who's stayed in on of the aft wrap-arounds - good choice over the SA? Any problems with vibrations or soot?

Thanks in advance.....

We are looking at an SC vs an SA. We like the idea of the SC with the wraparound balcony in back. On the last couple of ships we've been on, there's been an annoying side-to-side vibration while underway that seemed very noticeable only when aft (assume it's prop vibrations).

Anyone who's stayed in on of the aft wrap-arounds - good choice over the SA? Any problems with vibrations or soot?

Thanks in advance.....

Larry and Nancy ... Just off the Oosterdam Alaska cruise and having done both the SA and SC, I would advise the SC Aft wrap. This cruise was last minute (no SCs available) so we got an SA mid-ship. Because of the wind when cruising, the side balcony was COLD. Therefore we weren't out there much.

Last year when we booked 6177 on Zuiderdam to Alaska, the stern part was almost always calm air. And when it was sunny, it was bathing suit time for my wife.

Beside the calm air, we found LESS vibrations astern. (Maybe will vary by ship.) The stern also allows for a 270 degree view. See photos.

Have a great cruise!

GBBALCONY_0292.jpg

P1000202_0650.jpg

Thanks in advance.....

We have stayed exclusively in Aft SC's the last 2 cruises and are booked for the next 3 in same Category SC and SB:) That being said the only side to side we have experienced was very gentle, almost a slight rocking to sleep type.

We have stayed so far in SC's on Deck 6, are booked on Decks 7 and 5 for our next cruises and expect the same experience:)

I liked my SC's over my SA and will only book ships with the Aft Wrap Around. Which means I will miss out on the smaller ships of HAL, but as long as I have an Aft Wrap Around I will be in heaven:)

Joanie

AZ Native and Joanie - Thanks so much for your responses. AZ - those pictures are magnificent. We're definitely going for the SC. We are very excited about this....my company is taking us, but we have to pay for the upgrade from an oceanview. Definitely worth it.

Thanks again,

Larry and Nancy

AZ Native and Joanie - Thanks so much for your responses. AZ - those pictures are magnificent. We're definitely going for the SC. We are very excited about this....my company is taking us, but we have to pay for the upgrade from an oceanview. Definitely worth it.

Thanks again,

Larry and Nancy

You're welcome!:)

One word of caution ... once you select your aft wrap ... have your reservation marked as NO UPGRADE!

The wonderful folks at HAL believe that moving up or forward is an upgrade and that they are always doing you a favor by moving you for free without telling you.:eek:

Oh ... do make note of all the suite "perks" that come with your SC and don't miss any of them starting with priority boarding.

Have a great cruise and be sure to come back here and tell us all about it.

Cheers!

You're welcome!:)

One word of caution ... once you select your aft wrap ... have your reservation marked as NO UPGRADE!

The wonderful folks at HAL believe that moving up or forward is an upgrade and that they are always doing you a favor by moving you for free without telling you.:eek:

Oh ... do make note of all the suite "perks" that come with your SC and don't miss any of them starting with priority boarding.

Have a great cruise and be sure to come back here and tell us all about it.

Cheers!

Thanks for the tip. We're really looking forward to this, especially after seeing the pictures.

We've only been in the SB's on deck 7, and like the others, have had no vibration problem. Occasionally there is a little soot. It depends upon the weather and the direction of the wind. Don't sit down or lean against the railing without checking. Like Joanie, we wouldn't take an SA, and AZNative2000 is absolutely right, if you want an aft be sure to check NO UPGRADE. We live on the verandah, and the larger SA's hold no allure. YMMV. Be sure and order a room service dinner some night. It can be served course by course in the suites, or with just one delivery. You will have the same options available as those eating in the main dining room, and the Neptune Lounge can arrange it for you very easily.

We've only been in the SB's on deck 7, and like the others, have had no vibration problem. Occasionally there is a little soot. It depends upon the weather and the direction of the wind. Don't sit down or lean against the railing without checking. Like Joanie, we wouldn't take an SA, and AZNative2000 is absolutely right, if you want an aft be sure to check NO UPGRADE. We live on the verandah, and the larger SA's hold no allure. YMMV. Be sure and order a room service dinner some night. It can be served course by course in the suites, or with just one delivery. You will have the same options available as those eating in the main dining room, and the Neptune Lounge can arrange it for you very easily.

AMEN travelmatron!!! You and AzNative and a couple of others convinced me of the wisdom of the Aft Wrap Arounds and YOU KNOW I IS HOOKED!!!

The only thing I would change in travelmatron's statement is the Room Service. I think what she was referring to was not the rugular Room Service but the "In Room Dining Experience". Arrange that with the Neptune Lounge Concierge. It is White Table cloth and soooooooooo romantic!! Read and see my photos of it here: SC 6177 http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Oosterdam/Deck-6.html

You are going to LOVE the Stateroom, the views and the experience!!!

Joanie

AMEN travelmatron!!! You and AzNative and a couple of others convinced me of the wisdom of the Aft Wrap Arounds and YOU KNOW I IS HOOKED!!!

The only thing I would change in travelmatron's statement is the Room Service. I think what she was referring to was not the rugular Room Service but the "In Room Dining Experience". Arrange that with the Neptune Lounge Concierge. It is White Table cloth and soooooooooo romantic!! Read and see my photos of it here: SC 6177 http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Oosterdam/Deck-6.html

You are going to LOVE the Stateroom, the views and the experience!!!

Joanie

No, actually I was refereing just to plain old everyday room service too. There is the In Room Dining Experience, but if you just have the NL order room service they will come with a table cloth and set up a nice table on the verandah. The difference is that all your food comes at once. Since we generally just have 3 courses (soup, main, and desert), we're fine with having them leave it in the room and I take the courses out as we're ready. It's not the same level of service, but it's still very romantic.

Archived