Pre Cruise Hotel Stay

We are not going to be taking advantage of PG's airfare promotion; instead we will book our own airfare to and from PPT. We are planning on spending two nights at the Intercontinental Resort prior to our cruise whihc departs on April 7, 2012. In looking at the 2012 cruise e-brochure on the website, it indicates that non-air/sea guests (or cruise only guests) must add $215 per person to the rate charged for air/sea guests. That brings the rate to $395/night. The brochure also seems to indicate that breakfast, and transfers are only available to air/sea guests. Is this correct?

The reason I ask--if all I am getting is a room, I can book the Intercontinental myself at a lower rate--by passing PG's package. It looks like I can get a a pre-pay rate of about $300/night--taxes included. Given we are not doing air/sea, any advantage to booking with PG that I am missing?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Well....

The package with the PG includes tranfers and the assurance that they will take care of the possible results of adventures in air travel. Whether this is worth the extra incremental cost is up to you. On our first trip to FP in 2001, we had an air traffic problem which resulted in a change in schedule which the cruise line remedied for us. I don't know what would have happened if we had made our own arrangments. We like the no fuss no muss of the all inclusive PG product.

It would not surprise me if you totaled up all the costs of your arrangements, room, taxis and meals and it turned out less than the package from PG Cruises. I don't know what value to place on the morning and lunch on the PG the last day but you will have to get off the ship early.

Well....

The package with the PG includes tranfers and the assurance that they will take care of the possible results of adventures in air travel. Whether this is worth the extra incremental cost is up to you. On our first trip to FP in 2001, we had an air traffic problem which resulted in a change in schedule which the cruise line remedied for us. I don't know what would have happened if we had made our own arrangments. We like the no fuss no muss of the all inclusive PG product.

It would not surprise me if you totaled up all the costs of your arrangements, room, taxis and meals and it turned out less than the package from PG Cruises. I don't know what value to place on the morning and lunch on the PG the last day but you will have to get off the ship early.

Thank you--sadly, our flight back to the US is the day we disembark at 7:30AM, so no time for breakfast or lunch that last day. I suspect it will be (and feel like) a long day.

Archived