Halifax restaurants

I'm looking for a good seafood restaurant that the locals go to near the waterfront. We're going to the citadel in the morning and then plan to walk back to the waterfront. I've searched this forum and can only find Saltys. A Saltys' lobster roll is $20! Yikes. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'm looking for a good seafood restaurant that the locals go to near the waterfront. We're going to the citadel in the morning and then plan to walk back to the waterfront. I've searched this forum and can only find Saltys. A Saltys' lobster roll is $20! Yikes. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

As I just mentioned in another post, there are several along the waterfront or one street up, most mention Salty's but there's also Waterfront Wharehouse, Stayners, Murphy's on the Water, McElvies and a few others. Waterfront Warehouse has a $19.99 lobster dinner with a 1.5 pound lobster, I had one a couple months ago and one of the best I've ever had!

• 2 weeks later...

Lobster in Halifax is pricey but oh so worth it. Delicious. We're from Boston and get lots of cold water lobsters whenever we want but always have a lobster lunch in Halifax. :)

The best restaurants are not along the waterfront. Most of those are touristy. If you want lobster, however, most of them will do a great job.

For good fish go to McKelvies or the Five Fishermen (not on the waterfront). Also in walking distance from the water check out the Wooden Monkey and Chives.

When in Halifax, :) We want lobster...... even though we live in Boston and have wonderful lobsters available all the time, we love your Halifax lobsters.

We're not looking for fried fish or burgers or such.....

• 3 weeks later...

Five Fishermen hands down, ALL THE WAY! The food is absolutely delicious. And the mussel bar cannot be beat.

I personally would avoid Murphy's on the water. It was a complete waste. The food was so bland. The rice was Uncle Ben's and the mussels we got were cold and served in the bag netting. The proximity to the water is the only thing it has going for it.

Five Fishermen hands down, ALL THE WAY! The food is absolutely delicious. And the mussel bar cannot be beat.

I personally would avoid Murphy's on the water. It was a complete waste. The food was so bland. The rice was Uncle Ben's and the mussels we got were cold and served in the bag netting. The proximity to the water is the only thing it has going for it.

Okay-that menu looks awesome. How far is it from the port?

I had a whole lobster in Halifax at Murphy's on the waterfront two weeks ago. It was a beautiful day and we ate outside.The lobster was delicious. Lobster rolls, by the way are expensive, but so good.

I had a whole lobster in Halifax at Murphy's on the waterfront two weeks ago. It was a beautiful day and we ate outside.The lobster was delicious. Lobster rolls, by the way are expensive, but so good.

Lobster is priced by the pound and I ordered 1 1/2 pounds. Sorry, I just don't remember the price. But, it was so worth it.

There were four of us and we all loved everything we had while having lunch at Salty's last Sep. We've been to Halifax four times and I would say this was the best restaurant we've eaten at along with the ability to sit outside on their rear deck along the water front. It's at the far end of the waterfront so it's very close to the majority of the shops, glass blowing exhibit and shop, etc. It'll only be approx 10 - 15 minute walk back to the ship. P.S. Don't forget to get a cup of coffee at Tim Horton's in the local ferry terminal located at this end of town too. (Free rest rooms here in the terminal too) I hope this helps you look forward to enjoying Halifax. We love this port a lot. :)

Lobster at Legal Seafoods is always good. They have several locations throughout the city.

We had lunch at Salty's last week and it was delicious. It was nice sitting on the Deck.

Archived