Seward Alaska Earliest time to get to ship

StuLaurie

Hi!

I can only speak from the vast experience of one cruise going out from Seward ;) , but embarkation was nice and easy.

As we had stayed in a hotel the night before, we were quite early at the embarkation point, approx.10.30 to 11 'clock.

There wasn't a queue yet, so we were whisked through in a few minutes and were able to board immediately. As far as I remember, the buffet opened at about 11.30 and the rooms were ready at 1 o'clock.

Most of the passengers arrived much later bécause of the coach transfer from Anchorage; it was quite crowded on the pier from 2.oo p.m. onwards.

Have a good time.

I can't answer your specific question but I can tell you about an experience that we had out of Seward. We took a small boat excursion from the Small Boat Pier in Seward. Our boat held about 100 people or so. Even though we were going on the Alaskian cruise, we thought we might have a different kind of experience. What we had was fantastic! We got up to within a 1/4 mi of a calving glacier. The pilot shut the engine down and told everyone to be quiet so we could listen to the sounds. Then he took us to some island - we were so close we could almost touch the rock wall on the island. We saw all sorts of wildlife up close and personal. On the Alaskian cruise itself, we hardly saw any wildlife. So instead of getting on the ship early, think about taking one of the boat tours instead. You won't regret it.

I live here in Seward, and can confirm that check-in opens at 11AM.

We have a free shuttle that takes you around town, so you could think about checking in, dropping your luggage, then take the shuttle around town. Nice walk an a paved bike trail along the waterfront. You should be able to see sealions and otters, and bald eagles. My office window is right over the water very close to the cruise ship terminal, and there has been a sea lion hanging out for the past few weeks. He is the largest one that I have ever seen! You might also want to consider the boat trip that was mentioned, or take a taxi/shuttle out to Exit Glacier.

As others have said, try to set up a trip out of Seward for the morning. You will be very glad you did. I think the cruise line can set that up for you. You won't have time for the long trip, but the short trip around the bay is well worth it.

I live here in Seward, and can confirm that check-in opens at 11AM.

We have a free shuttle that takes you around town, so you could think about checking in, dropping your luggage, then take the shuttle around town. Nice walk an a paved bike trail along the waterfront. You should be able to see sealions and otters, and bald eagles. My office window is right over the water very close to the cruise ship terminal, and there has been a sea lion hanging out for the past few weeks. He is the largest one that I have ever seen! You might also want to consider the boat trip that was mentioned, or take a taxi/shuttle out to Exit Glacier.

LML101,

We are staying at the Saltwater Lodge for 2 days prior to boarding the Millennium. We will already have done the hike with the Exit Glacier Guides and the 9hr. Northwestern Fjords boat trip, so do you have any suggestions for the remainder of our day after we check-in? We will have a rental car and we plan to try to check-in around 11am ( or as soon as they'll let us ) and then head back out. We live in Calif. so the Sea Life Center isn't anything that is new to us so we don't want to use our time there. We like nature, hiking, flora and fauna, waterfalls, wildlife, etc. We've even thought about Bardy's horseback riding. Do you have anything that you think we'd enjoy for 5-7 hours? We are willing to drive a while to get to something.

Thanks!!!

Once you check in to the ship, how do you leave and come back? Sounds silly, I am sure. Will there be a separate line for those leaving and coming back or will you have to wait in the line with all the others checking in again?

Once you check in to the ship, how do you leave and come back? Sounds silly, I am sure. Will there be a separate line for those leaving and coming back or will you have to wait in the line with all the others checking in again?

Once you have checked in (usually very quick), then you have to go through security. When you leave and come back again, then you only have to go through the security line again. You would want to avoid coming back in when the train arrives, because that is about the only time that you would have a line at security. The train usually gets in around 5:30 or so (ask what time it is expected on the day that you are there).

LML101' date='

We are staying at the Saltwater Lodge for 2 days prior to boarding the Millennium. We will already have done the hike with the Exit Glacier Guides and the 9hr. Northwestern Fjords boat trip, so do you have any suggestions for the remainder of our day after we check-in? We will have a rental car and we plan to try to check-in around 11am ( or as soon as they'll let us ) and then head back out. We live in Calif. so the Sea Life Center isn't anything that is new to us so we don't want to use our time there. We like nature, hiking, flora and fauna, waterfalls, wildlife, etc. We've even thought about Bardy's horseback riding. Do you have anything that you think we'd enjoy for 5-7 hours? We are willing to drive a while to get to something.

Thanks!!![/quote']

Glad you will have a few days here in Seward. Make sure you try some halibut while you are here.

I'm a bit outdoors person, and love to here that you are too! You could consider a kayak trip - there are several operators here who do guided trips.

I'd highly recommend going for a hike. A nice easy one that is a favorite of mine is Tonsina. Just past the end of town, about 5 miles drive from the cruise ship, the trail is a little over a mile each way, through beautiful forest, just on the edge of the ocean. There is a pretty creek that you cross, then what I call the 'enchanted forest' with huge spruce and hemlock trees, dripping with moss. Nice beach with views of Resurrection Bay, mountains, and glaciers. This trail continues to Caines Head, but after Tonsina, you have to hike along the beach at low tide only. Depending on what time low tide is, you could take a water taxi one way, and hike the other way if you wanted to go all the way to Caines Head. It's about 5 miles one way.

Another trail that's a little longer is Ptarmagin. It's about 23 miles out of town, and 3.5 miles each way to a beautiful lake. There is only a 300 foot elevation gain, so it's not too hard. I love this trail because there is a nice sunny area to hang out by the lake. This is a Forest Service Trail, so is well maintained. I was on this trail last week, and was happy that all the snow is gone already.

The Jeep Trail up Mt. Marathon right here in Seward is also a nice trail. From the harbor, you can see a waterfall on the north end of the mountain, but the trail takes you to the top of the waterfall, and you can't really see the waterfall from the trail. There is a nice waterfall here in Seward, on First Avenue. It's next to AVTEC, ask anyone here in town to direct you. It's in the forest and very lush and green and pretty.

Once you have checked in (usually very quick), then you have to go through security. When you leave and come back again, then you only have to go through the security line again. You would want to avoid coming back in when the train arrives, because that is about the only time that you would have a line at security. The train usually gets in around 5:30 or so (ask what time it is expected on the day that you are there).

Thanks for the info. Is the location to leave the ship, the same place people are getting on the ship? Just wondering what the congestion would be like there? Is the re-entry security line easily identifiable?

Thanks for the info. Is the location to leave the ship, the same place people are getting on the ship? Just wondering what the congestion would be like there? Is the re-entry security line easily identifiable?

Cruise ship terminal is one story building. Check-in lines are to the left, just past the 'cookie table.' Security is at the back of the building. Must easier and less hectic than most check-in locations.

FYI, just to the right of the building (as you are facing it), there is a chain link fence. If you stand in front of the fence, you can get a great view/photo of the bow of the ship.

Cruise ship terminal is one story building. Check-in lines are to the left, just past the 'cookie table.' Security is at the back of the building. Must easier and less hectic than most check-in locations.

FYI, just to the right of the building (as you are facing it), there is a chain link fence. If you stand in front of the fence, you can get a great view/photo of the bow of the ship.

Thanks, again for the info. Great tips about the photo stop and the cookie table :)

LML101,

Great information! Now the hard part will be deciding which one(s) to do! They all sound great! After the Glacier Guides hike (We've heard that one will be a little tough, but we're ready for it ), I'm sure any of these will be a piece of cake!

Thanks for taking the time to help those of us coming to your town! It is much appreciated!!!

Archived