Anchorage to Kenai Peninsula?

Hate 2 W8t

My husband and I are doing a cruisetour with Princess to Alaska. We arrive in Anchorage for the night around noon. Does anyone have suggestions on what to do for that afternoon (assuming we aren't totally exhausted)? I thought it may be possible to take some sort of public transportation to the Kenai Peninsula, since that is not included in our tour. Is that even possible? Other suggestions?

Thank you in advance!!!

Sun Princess to Alaska - 8/29/05

I did a search and found this web site http://www.alaskafjordcharters.com/Seward.htmSounds like the train is out, perhaps you could rent a car for the day. If you only have the afternoon in Anchorage, there are things to do there too. Check this out.

Glaciers Near Anchorage

Alaska's No. 1 visitor attraction is just a short, spectacular drive away. Portage Glacier and the Begich, Boggs Visitor Center are located 50 miles south of Anchorage.

Visitors can stroll along the lakeshore, marvel at iceberg-choked Portage Lake, learn of the area's geological and glacial history at the Center, or hop aboard the M/V Ptarmigan for an even closer look at this astounding natural wonder.

You will pass Portage glacier and see Turnagain Arm when your on way to/from Whittier.I'm not sure if your starting or ending your cruise. As far as public transportation,there is not really anything heading towards the peninsula that could be done in an afternoon. Maybe rent a car? Do you know where you'll be staying? Downtown Anc has alot of nice places that you can walk to. http://www.anchorage.net/

Hate 2 W8t,

They say the scenery between Anchorage and Seward is the most beautiful of all, but I think you will end up driving the whole time trying to do this in one afternoon. I don't want to spoil your plans, but the train takes a little more than 4 hours from Anchorage to Seward (6:45 am - 11:05 am). Maybe it makes stops a long the way at various depots, I don't know. I think it would be a nice round trip drive, but doubt that you'll have time for an organized tour .

We are going to Seward RT on the Alaska RR but spending one night in Seward as well.

Hopefully, Budget Queen or Glacier Lady will post as to what they think of the time you have and the trip you plan.

Gloria F,

Actually it's this side of about 120 miles from Anchorage to Seward, so driving takes about 2+ hours and if you stop you're probably looking at 2 1/2 to 3. The train just takes much longer because it goes slower. Done the train a couple of times, with relatives visiting, but since we've done that we drive now.

Hate 2 W8t as someone else said no public transportation to Kenai Peninsula. As someone else said there is alot to do in town, but according to what you want to do, you may need a car. Downtown we have a lot of nice shops and a great museum. A little further out is the Native Heritage Museum or our Zoo. Then if you head on down the Seward Highway you come to the town of Girdwood where Mt. Alyeska is and the Alyeska Prince Lodge, continue about 20 more miles and you would be at Portage Glacier.

If you'd head north of town, you'd hit Eklutna Lake and Thunderbird Falls or even Flattop Mountain in town.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Thanks for all the great advice! I am traveling on Princess and will be taking the train in from Whittier. Where might I find a good place to rent a car? I have heard even a compact is around $50 a day.

Jax

Sun Princess to Alaska - 8/29/05

I want to know this also - based on Susan's last post that Seward is closer than I thought - we may want to pick up a car and do the same thing.

Also, Susan in Anchorage, what is a reasonable (read cheap but not scary) place to stay near the airport?

Thanks for all your help!

No you don't have enough time for Seward. Arriving at noon you could still rent a car and drive perhaps to Hope?? Worthwhile for a quick look at the historic buildings. BUT your ship transfer goes the same road- determine if you want the duplicate views?? Not a lot of time- make the most of it. All the major rentals are in Anchorage, pick up the car when you arrive at the airport. I would then arrange for the cruisetour pick up at the airport the next day when that starts. Look at Thrifty, Alamo, Dollar, Payless, etc. Request the Anchorage visitor guide, a look at Eklutna Spirit houses and their tour is worthwhile if of interest , so is the Eagle River Nature Center. way too many choices.

All the major car rental agencies are at the airport. A few have in town locations too, but cars in the summer in Anchorage are not cheap and book up quickly. So if you are serious about getting one research and book one.

Now if you have limited time, I wouldn't try and do a round trip to Seward on the same day you are leaving. Parts of this highway are still only 2 lanes and if there is a major accident (not saying there would be but could) it sometimes gets closed for hours. So I wouldn't wander that far out of town on the day you are leaving unless you go North. Lots to do that way. Ekultna Lake has some very nice trails as well as the walk to Thunderbird Falls or again the Heritage Center.

Hotels around the airport are abundant but again with summer the prices go up and rooms fill up too. There is the West Coast Anchorage International Inn, there is a Marriott Courtyard, a Best Western Barratt Inn, the Millenium, a Holiday Inn Express, a local one that I've never stayed at but I'm impressed with what they've done and they are local is the Puffin Inn http://www.puffininn.net/.

Hope this helps and any other questions, please ask!

Susan in Anchorage :)

Jax -- I checked on rental cars for Anchorage using http://www.bookingbuddy.com and clicked on hotwire. If I put in picking the car up on Wed 5/18 evening and returning Sat 5/21 morning, it was $33.95/day, BUT if I put in picking up Thurs morning 5/19 returning 5/21 morning, it was 16.95/day for an economy, 17.95/day compact, 20.95/day midsize. Weird how the different days and times worked with different prices, but give this site a try. I have never used it to actually reserve a car, but it is recommended by another site I like -- SmarterLiving.com. Prices were pretty good. We decided to go with the train instead.

SusanAk - thanks for the info on hotels. The reason I'm not looking for a really nice hotel is that we arrive Anchorage the evening of 5/18, and will only be there overnight, leaving on the 6:45 am train on May 19 to Seward the next morning. We just litterally need a place to sleep for a few hours.

Thanks for the info. I haven't checked it out yet, so this was a nice headstart. My boss is cruising on Carnival a month before me. We went through his itinerary this afternoon. It gave me a much better idea of the geography. He is spending a week on his own (with his family) the week prior to his cruise. Since he has already mapped everything out, it was easy to see what the problem with my plan was. Too far to go on 2-lane roads in such a short time!

This board is great, but of course that is because of the GREAT people who use it!!! :)

Thanks for ALL of the information!

You're welcome. Part of the fun of the boards is getting to share the info I've learned, the other part is learning from those that know more.

It was easy for me to understand your predicament when you first started planning. I did the same thing planning a trip to Denali in too short a time until BQ pointed out to me that there just wasn't time for what I wanted to do. I had to scale way back from my original plans and finally came up with a workable and enjoyable plan with BQ's and Glacier Lady's help for Seward. We are simply spending the night we arrive in Anchorage, taking the 6:45 am rail the next morning to Seward and spending the night there at the Marina Motel; we return to Anchorage on the 6PM train the next day and pick up the cruise transfer to the dock the next morning. This board is wonderful in sharing info and helping everyone have realistic plans that will work and not be stressful. Thank you from me for all the info I've received from everyone.

Archived