Are my choices pretty good ones?? Greek Isles

If anyone could lead me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. In Venice, I chose to see Doge's Palace, St. Mark's and Murano Glass, Piazzo San Marco; In Dubrovnik I chose Franciscan Monastery, Pharmacy, Dominican Monastery, Rector's Palace, Cathedral and Treasury; In Corfu Achilleion Palace, Virgin May Monastery, Corfu Town; Katakolon is Olympic Archaiological Site, Archeological Museum; Athens Acropolis, National Archaelolgical Museum; Mykonos Delos Archaeological Site; Ephesus Ephesus itself, St; John's Basilica, House of the Virgin Mary; Rhodes Old Town, Palace of the Grand Masters, Acropolis of Lindos, Lindos; Santorini Akrotiri, Winery, Firs, Panagia Episkopi Church; Naples, Ancient Herculaneum "only because I've been to Pompeii. Is there another place I should choose over the above? Thanks all cruisers and future cruisers!! Iris

You are on Princess, correct? Are those specific references to Princess shore excursions? Or just places you'll visit someway or another?

Well, without specific, here are a few general comments:

Venice: Doge's Palace is a must...It is ON Piazza San Marco...I felt the Murano Glass factories were a nuisance rather than an attraction...These places do a hard sell presentation....We couldn't wait to get out...I enjoyed the tour of the synagogues/Ghetto...

Dubrovnik: Really doesn't require a tour at all, but if you want one, what you've chosen is pretty much the "standard:

Corfu: Achilleion Palace is worth doing on a tour

Katakolon: Haven't been there

Athens: Acropolis--yes, a must for Athens...the National Archaelolgical Museum is at the Acropolis...Is this a "half day" tour? We did a full day including this and Cape Sounion...thought it made for a good day

Mykonos, Ephesus, Rhodes: No comment, haven't been...

Santorini: Akrotiri, Winery...Is it the Akrotiri Museum...or the ruins themselves? If it's the ruins, great...If just the museum, you can do it on your own easily enough...but, if you want to take an excursion, theis one is fine...

Naples: (Ancient Herculaneum "only because I've been to Pompeii")...As I recall, it's a short tour...I'd been to Pompei before and can't get enough, so we did the 10 hour Capri, Sorrento and Pompei and loved it...If you want to see archaeological stuff, but don't want to do Pompei, then Herculaneum is your choice...but there are also other nice places out of Naples: Capri, Sorrento, Amalfi, etc.

Good luck and have fun...

Iris, I agree with Bruin Steve about the Murano Glass factory in Venice, I would skip it.

The only other suggestions I would make: Santorini, go to Oia. Dubrovnik, walk the wall. Naples, the Amalfi coast or Capri.

enjoy,

Marika

Iris Faye, I think you've done a good job of choosing tours. We did many (most) of the same tours on our Mediterranean cruise last April. The only major differences were:

1. In Venice we toured on our own since we had booked a 2-day pre-cruise package there.

2. In Naples we took the Amalfi Coast drive tour instead of Herculaneum. I can't compare the two, but I really enjoyed the Amalfi Coast.

If you are interested, I have photos from most of your ports of call in my slideshows. See the link in my signature.

....you will have a great time. The Med Cruise was my favorite vacation ever.

• 3 weeks later...

SPI RICK,

Thank you so much for sharing your photos. They are outstanding. We are going on Grand Princess in June. I don't have to bring a camera, I'll use your photos.

Please tell me where the ship docks in Venice. How difficult is it to get around? We start in Venice and overnight there. We hope to get off the ship and go about on our own. We have been to Venice. I just can't picture the ship and the docking there.

Archived