Olden & Geiranger-anyone been there and not done a ship excursion?

Has anyone been to Olden or Geiranger and not done a ship's excursion? If so, how did you spend your time there? Did you get bored?

Are there any hiking trails in these areas? (I looked on the internet and couldn't find anything close but thought I'd check here in case some cc'ers knew of some hidden places :))

Are taxis out of the question in these little villages?

Thanks!

We went there on a QE2 cruise before she was sold. There is not much there , but the dock is pretty and you could walk around. We took a cheap ships tour up a mountain and found snow. Do not even think about a Taxi, you would need to sell your house to pay the fare. Norway is one of the most expensive countries I have visited. Do all your eating on the ship !!

Has anyone been to Olden or Geiranger and not done a ship's excursion? If so, how did you spend your time there? Did you get bored?

Are there any hiking trails in these areas? (I looked on the internet and couldn't find anything close but thought I'd check here in case some cc'ers knew of some hidden places :))

Are taxis out of the question in these little villages?

Thanks!

Geiranger is a village but rather bigger than most in the Fjords and has a museum which we haven't visited but looks as though it may be interesting.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=no&u=http://www.geiranger.no/museum-galleri-opplevelsessenter/museum-gallerier-og-opplevelsessenter&ei=IEXtTdO8F9Gt8QPQ9OG-AQ&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CC0Q7gEwAQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dgeiranger%2Bmuseum%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DHVN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26prmd%3Divns

There is a very pretty octangonal church and some great walks. Near the dock there is a tourist information office where you can get an excellent walking map. There are a number of numbered walks of varying distance but the one we've done twice is to the cafe at Westeras where you can sit on the verandah and look down at your ship anchored in the fjord below. The scenery is stunning. It's an old farm and being rather isolated we were a bit apprehensive about how much they would charge us for a coffee and cake but it was very reasonable and not dissimilar to what we would have paid at home.

http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/en/Product/?TLp=381521

The first time we walked to the cafe we followed the main road which zig-zags up the valley, past the big hotel and river on our right then turned off left up a track to Westeras. The second time we saw a marked track on the left from the road before we got too far out of the village which was marked 'Westeras' (I think it may have been trail #13) which took us through the woods along a path to the cafe (uphill of course as the cafe is quite elevated from the village below). The route is marked with red paint splodges at regular intervals on rocks and trees so you can't get lost! It's really worth the effort - I guess it takes around an hour to get there. I've read that it's 4Km (2.5 miles) from the centre of the village.

But there are quite a few options for different wlaks so if that's what you want to do there is certainly the possiblity here. Many of the Norwegian ports down the fjords are tiny but Geiranger has more to offer in terms of shops, attractions and walks to make it worth staying there and not needing to go on an excursion. (Don't remember any taxis around and being Norway I would guess they'd be very expensive too.)

Sorry, can't help with Olden but hope you enjoy your cruise - it's fabulous scenery and of course sailing in and out of Geiranger is spectacular.

Your replies are appreciated!

Glad to hear there are walking paths in Geiranger that go up to the top. That's just what we wanted to do - see the spectacular views of the fjord from high up without having to be on a tour to see it.

can we hike up to the centre or Mt. Dalsnibba? How long? Easy or difficult hike?

Many thanks

Hmm.......... not sure about that - I suspect it will be rather a long way. Westeras is perhaps only half way up in terms of height above the Fjord. It does give some spectacular views down to Geiranger and the Fjord (and a very welcome coffee and homemade cake stop at a reasonable price too considering they have something of a monopoly since there are no other refreshment stops in the immediate vicinity) but I wouldn't like to mislead you into thinking it was actually at or near the top. I felt I'd done quite a hike just getting up there and back! :eek:

Sorry not to be more helpful. But enjoy your trip - it's an awesome place!

Hi Kruzseeka

Many a post on the Thomson site!!! We've decamped for one to QM2 and are 'doing' Norway. Just wondered what you thought of not doing a ship's tour in Geiranger. We decided that we only wanted to do one full day tour and so have chosen Alesund. What would you recommend for a pleasant morning in Geiranger (not too energetic) or do you think we should have opted for the full day tour here instead.

Thanks

Sandie

Hi Kruzseeka

Many a post on the Thomson site!!! We've decamped for one to QM2 and are 'doing' Norway. Just wondered what you thought of not doing a ship's tour in Geiranger. We decided that we only wanted to do one full day tour and so have chosen Alesund. What would you recommend for a pleasant morning in Geiranger (not too energetic) or do you think we should have opted for the full day tour here instead.

Thanks

Sandie

Hi Sandie - you found me lurking in unfamiliar waters!!!!;)

But you have posed a tricky question for me! As we haven't done an excursion from Geiranger I can't really comment on how worthwhile that would be. We've been to Geiranger twice (I suspect you may get there late morning if the plan is like both times we went). We stayed anchored off Hellesylt for a couple of hours to tender people off to take an excursion which would later meet us at Geiranger. This means you don't have a really long day in Geiranger so it's perhaps the best of the places right down the Fjords to spend some time wandering. Not counting the basically coastal ports like Bergen and Alesund, Geiranger is the biggest place we've seen so far down a Fjord and would have most of interest to occupy your time (it's not what you'd call a big place though!).

It is well developed for tourism as I mentioned there is the Fjord Centre and you could perhaps take your time and have a gentle walk to the big hotel (Union Hotel) overlooking the village where you could perhaps have a drink. This walk (up the road) takes you along the tumbling river. This link gives you an impression of the the location. Click on the photos - there's one of peoplehaving coffee - you can see the Fjord through the window. That could be you!! :)

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=no&u=http://www.hotelunion.no/&ei=spP0TceVK86ahQfF173qBg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CGsQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dunion%2Bhotel%2Bgeiranger%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DB5N%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26prmd%3Divns

I've just fished out my info from when we first went and it says it's 250m height gain - so clearly uphill but spread over a distance so you may feel it's worth doing.

There's the Fjord Centre too which is a bit uphill from the tender point but not far - on the right over a footbridge. note the info on this link about a bus going up from the village and including seeing Flydalsjuvet (high view point).

http://www.visitnorway.com/en/Product/?pid=86421

The church is tiny and so pretty. It wasn't open when we were there but it's worth going to see from the outside - the picture we took with the fjord in the background was lovely.

I think if all you want is a few hours having a wander and perhaps a drink and a little shopping this has more to offer than most Fjord destinations (at least the villages right down the fjords).

Don't forget too the best excursion here is free! The sail-in and sail-out is glorious. Make sure you see it! Priceless!

Enjoy your trip Sandie :) We're off to the Med soon - but you've awakened my interest in Norway again. We've been three times in all (twice to the North Cape) and never tire of it. The scenery is truly awesome in the true sense of the word - we must go back again!! Enjoy the QM2 - I'm sure you will! We keep saying we'll try something else but I spot itineratries which appeal end up going back to Thomson! :o

Geiranger full day tour,,much more impressive for scenery,,,Alesund,easy to see on own,,,have trolley,,at toursist center,,takes you around town,,and up to observation tower,,,within walking distance of ship....nice town,,but can easily walk,take this tour,,and see on own...PS..we re seniors and couldnt possible do the hikes in Geiranger,,but wanted to see the sights,,so tour great for us....;)

Hi

Alexandra Cruiser - thanks for that - not sure what to do now. I originally thought Geiringer but the others opted for Alesund.

Kruzseeker - thanks also. Have been on the QM2 before and wasn't in a particular rush to go back - don't think QM2 entertainment is a patch on Thomson - but we got this 7 day Norway at a really great price (am I allowed to say here?) and couldn't resist as can't think that we could get it for the same with Thomson next year.

Sandie

Hi

Alexandra Cruiser - thanks for that - not sure what to do now. I originally thought Geiringer but the others opted for Alesund.

Kruzseeker - thanks also. Have been on the QM2 before and wasn't in a particular rush to go back - don't think QM2 entertainment is a patch on Thomson - but we got this 7 day Norway at a really great price (am I allowed to say here?) and couldn't resist as can't think that we could get it for the same with Thomson next year.

Sandie

In fairness Sandie I would also say there is more to see in Alesund if you just want to potter - you can either climb up the steps to the top of the hill or the little land train which starts at the dock will take you up via the road round the back. There's also a Hoho. The view from the top of the candy coloured wharf-side buildings is super. Also, you walk straight off the ship into the town - very easy.

I thought perhaps you'd already committed to a trip in Alesund - if you can swap it might be worth thinking about - a trip at Geiranger would give you spectacular views from really high up (which would be a tall order to make on your own on foot) as well as taking you deep into the mountains. Worth a thought! :)

Yep, saw some great bargains sailing from Southampton too - very handy for us. Maybe Sept! ;) Or next year on spirit? :rolleyes:

Archived