How do you cruise so often?

msstarr22

We try to get a cruise a year- go for price ($75 a day or around there) 3-4 day cruises (unless we get a great deal on a longer cruise) & don't have to fly (see my sig). So far, we haven't found a cruise for 11, but are booked for '12 (halfway to Plat on CCL!)

Check out the 11/18 Spirit 9day out of San Pedro (not Long Beach). 4K- french door cabin- is right around your pricepoint on ES. It is over Thanksgiving.

It is called going into debt and living beyond your means.

NOT TRUE !

We cruise a lot and they are all paid for by the time the cruise rolls around.

We are very fortunate as well as frugal----we live in central Fl so we can drive to a lot of ports, I can get an interline discount for cruises as a retired airline employee. If we have to fly, it's free on my airline or only 10% of the fare on other airlines (standby). I invested well, our house is paid for, cars as well. My Mustang is a 2000, dh van is 2008. Dont need new cars or all the bells and whistles cell phones, electronics. Our house is paid for.

When I was working, I took my lunch to work.

I never buy clothes unless they are on sale. I cut coupons for groceries, we eat out only 2x a week and those are just average places.

My husband quit smoking 2 years ago, I have just recently quit--we put what we spent on cigs in a cruise fund.

My son is grown, has a great job, so that certainly helps. (I see people at Universal, Disney or even on cruises with a bunch of kids and think wow ! how do they afford it)

I have sold stuff on Craig's list for cruising $$; color my hair myself (Loreal), we go to the movies only once in a while.

We have 3 cruises comin up this year and they will soon be paid for. Have booked the Breeze for next June 2012 in/out of Barcelona and a group cruise Dec 2012...they will both be paid for by the time final deposits come due. Booking far ahead helps too.

So please dont assume everyone goes into debt when they are lucky enough to cruise 4/5 tomes a year. Also, that's the only type of vacation we take.

We average 7 to 11 cruises a year. How, you may ask. 1. We're retired. 2. We live in Forida. 3. We have no debt. Cars, house everthing is paid off. 4. We spend zero money on any other entertainment. Never go out to dinner or a movie or a sporting event. 4. Do not spend a lot of money on clothes or food.

We average 7 cruises a year....but have done as many as 10.

We are like you...no debt!! (which I think is the key)

but sadly, we are not retired yet, don't live in Florida, eat out constantly (because I hate to cook) and spend way to much money on our other habit...Nascar races!!

And when we cruise...it is always the 3 of us....sometimes 4 when the oldest is available.

I think it is a matter of knowing what you want and having the discipline to go after it.

I think it's silly to cruise more than, say, 2 times a year. After that, it will lose it's excitement, and it will become routine. A vacation should not be routine, and should be something you look forward to for a long time. IMO

Then you obviously do not have a son with Autism.....who gets to be a "normal kid" for a week when he steps on a cruise ship.

"Silly"? :rolleyes:

You are wired different than I.

Ditto

after 40 cruises we still get excited when our next cruise is getting close

and when not cruising we are at Disney

being frugal all these years is paying off now

Dottie

Check out the 11/18 Spirit 9day out of San Pedro (not Long Beach). 4K- french door cabin- is right around your pricepoint on ES. It is over Thanksgiving.

thanks for the suggestion-- however- Family Thanksgiving & Family-refuses to cruise for longer than a week!:(

I hate when people assume I am in debt because I cruise often. I cruise often because I have no debt. I am always fully paid for my next cruise and the one after that at any given time. It just happens to be my priority. I absolutly refuse to owe money for a trip after it is over. That is why I pay for every possible thing I can ahead of time. The rest is paid for with money that has already been set aside before I leave.

I have cruised 5/6 times a year for the past few years and it hasn't gotten old yet. Every cruise is different in some ways. I also take certain cruises for different reasons. We fly to Europe tonight for our Magic cruise which is all about the ports. The next one is three days in Bermuda and all about relaxation. My solo in December is about getting away and spending time on my own.

:( for the life of me i cannot figure out how everyone here can cruise so much? I am an average person from ohio. Not rich by any means but we have money for a trip or two. I see some taking 5 or more cruises a year. I just don't get it.

hi---how do we cruise so often--well-----first of all---we are retired--military and civil service----and secondly--cant fine another job---so rather then just hang around---we cruise--number 48 coming up------happy sailing-----irene and john--also known as ----jugger and wife---

I hate when people assume I am in debt because I cruise often. I cruise often because I have no debt. I am always fully paid for my next cruise and the one after that at any given time. It just happens to be my priority. I absolutly refuse to owe money for a trip after it is over. That is why I pay for every possible thing I can ahead of time. The rest is paid for with money that has already been set aside before I leave.

I have cruised 5/6 times a year for the past few years and it hasn't gotten old yet. Every cruise is different in some ways. I also take certain cruises for different reasons. We fly to Europe tonight for our Magic cruise which is all about the ports. The next one is three days in Bermuda and all about relaxation. My solo in December is about getting away and spending time on my own.

What he said...:D

Hi--we cruise no. 47 coming up--we are retired military and civil servce==and cant fine another job---so cruising is the answer---no cooking--no housework----and life is great----happy cruising--the joyces---irene and john

This. I hope to be able to be in your shows in about 10 yrs and Lord willing I will be.

BUT, there are some folks who do like the other poster said. I know a couple like that. Its crazy. I bet they will be working their fingers off up until the day they die.

And the best of luck to you.

Some people work hard all their lives and never get to enjoy their retirenet. Life is a crapshoot.

However the odds are we will make it into retirment and we were determined to build up a nest egg so we can enjoy it and go from 2-3 cruises per year to a trip a month.

Big world out there and we hope to see lots of it while we are able.

Like your attitude David. Look forward to meeting you in Sept. Have not cruised since Feb and getting antsy.

Cruising is a tremendous value. C'mon.....shop smart and you can get a 7 day cruise for less than $400pp. And that includes all your food and entertainment! You can get a shorter cruise for $279......I' ve even seen them as low as $199! You can't even go CAMPING that cheap!

No, but when you have to pay $1400.00 - 2000.00 for airfair that changes things a bit

people that cruise often don't spend a dime on their S&S account then brag about it then steal pounds of bacon and sell it when they are in port to the impoverished.

or they have lots of money and time.

people that cruise often don't spend a dime on their S&S account then brag about it then steal pounds of bacon and sell it when they are in port to the impoverished.

thanks, i needed that...wish i had thought of that sooner and i could have done tons more cruises...any ideas on how to cut the airfare from ohio?

I hope you know what you are talking about, because I sure don't

Too funny!

I cruised 7 times last year. My S&S account is usually more than my cruise fare. I don't eat the bacon on the ship.

I cheat....I cruise on the "crew family" discount ;)

Actually we take a different approach.

Smuggle a few dozen bottles of wine aboard and sell it by the glass.

Thats a great idea! Except I am going to do it with those little boxes of cereal, less messy.:)

That seems awfully judgmental - you don't know everyones personal financial situation.

Wow are you wrong. It is called not taking vacations and living below our means when we were younger in order to save money and pay off our debt so we can afford to cruise 2-3x per year now.

What a silly statement!...we've never gone into debt for a cruise and would stop cruising if it meant doing that. It would be like paying for Christmas for months afterwards...it would take all the fun out of it!

I am not wrong. It is not a silly thing to say or being judgemental. Majority are living well beyond their means. I see it everyday in my line of work.

I am not wrong. It is not a silly thing to say or being judgemental. Majority are living well beyond their means. I see it everyday in my line of work.

I agree with you. I think the majority of regular posters on here are probably more responsible/financially stable than the average american. At least everyone CLAIMS to be. But yes, I'll wager the average cruiser on CCL puts at least a portion of the cruise on a Credit Card that is not paid.

I still believe you are wrong. You are talking about the people posting on this thread and the posters seem to be mainly a bunch of financially responsible people.

I still believe you are wrong. You are talking about the people posting on this thread and the posters seem to be mainly a bunch of financially responsible people.

For sure. There is a vast difference between the regular posters on CC and the general cruising public.....

Archived