How early does boarding start at Southampton?

Jo and Rob

I've always gotten on board a Celebrity cruise ship around noon. Sometimes my room is ready, other times I head to lunch and then to the room. In any case, I always swing by to drop off my carry on bags.

Does this mean that we can drop off our carryons straight away?

On May the 7th we were on board (B2B) and boarding started at 11.15am, and check in on the previous cruise took about half an hour. I believe you cannot drop the bags off until after 10am.

There is no access cabins early, as the outer doors are locked and there is no way to drop off bags in the cabin. You have to keep you carry on's with you.

Rather than going to the Oceanview for lunch, try the Aqua Spa cafe (free) or Bistro on 5 ($5).

Richard

On May the 7th we were on board (B2B) and boarding started at 11.15am, and check in on the previous cruise took about half an hour. I believe you cannot drop the bags off until after 10am.

There is no access cabins early, as the outer doors are locked and there is no way to drop off bags in the cabin. You have to keep you carry on's with you.

Rather than going to the Oceanview for lunch, try the Aqua Spa cafe (free) or Bistro on 5 ($5).

Richard

Thanks Richard.

I'm just confused about something you said, if we don't board until after 11.15am then it will already be after 10am. :confused:

Sorry to confuse you!

I was referring to drop off point for your main cases (we take 4) which opens around 10am, we were sat in the Sky lounge and saw cars being tirned away at 9am, and the gates to the drop off area were closed. Make sure you have the cases labelled before you get there!

Proceedure is: Enter via dock gate 8, near the Holiday in. Marshals direct you to the luggage drop off point where porters will take your cases, you are then directed past the terminal to the car park where you self park, walk back to the terminal with your carry on luggage.

Richard

Sorry to confuse you!

I was referring to drop off point for your main cases (we take 4) which opens around 10am, we were sat in the Sky lounge and saw cars being tirned away at 9am, and the gates to the drop off area were closed. Make sure you have the cases labelled before you get there!

Proceedure is: Enter via dock gate 8, near the Holiday in. Marshals direct you to the luggage drop off point where porters will take your cases, you are then directed past the terminal to the car park where you self park, walk back to the terminal with your carry on luggage.

Richard

Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to know! So we can arrive anytime after 10am, drop off our suitcases and park no problem. :)

Is the dock gate 8 the same one we would have used for Independence of the Seas last year or a different one I wonder? How far is the car park back to the terminal? We had valet parking with P&O in April and that was great especially as the embarkation and disembarkation gates were not the same, and the car was waiting nice and close to our disembarkation gate.

Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to know! So we can arrive anytime after 10am, drop off our suitcases and park no problem. :)

Is the dock gate 8 the same one we would have used for Independence of the Seas last year or a different one I wonder? How far is the car park back to the terminal? We had valet parking with P&O in April and that was great especially as the embarkation and disembarkation gates were not the same, and the car was waiting nice and close to our disembarkation gate.

Hi,

It will be the same dock gate, terminal and car park. Self parking and a short walk from terminal. There were two parking options - the other involves a 5 minute transfer by bus.

Jim

I love to get on board as soon as possible as the moment we step on the ship the magic begins. Does anyone know what would be the optimum time to arrive and park the car at the port?

I get there around 10.45 and am usually on board by 11.30

I get there around 1115 to avoid having to sit and wait. On our last two Eclipse trips from Southampton, boarding started around 1130 but in the initial phases to clear the backlog of the early arrivals they do it in group order, ie suites first then elite, aquaclass and concierge then everyone else

I am really glad they lock the doors to the decks that cabins are on - too many people try and argue they are just going to drop their carryons off and then hang around and get in the way of the staff who already are doing a great job turning cabins around. Bear in mind it used to be that boarding did not start til noon or even 2 pm and everyone was off by 0830.

Now we all want to stay on late, get on early at a time when the level if deep cleaning is far higher than used to be the case

I was wondering which airport people fly into and where do they spend the night before the cruise when sailing out of Southampton?

Thanks!

Bill

Hi,

Heathrow (mainly & most convenient to get to Southampton) or Gatwick would be the usual Airports.

From what I have read most people make their way down to Southampton and stay in a hotel close to the terminal.

There are of course other places close to Southampton on the M3 motorway corridor e.g. Winchester.

Those who arrive a few days before the cruise often opt to stay in London - excellent links by road, rail or coach.

Jim

Archived