vantage river cruises

debbie ann

Surprised you're having trouble finding info on this trip on cc...We took this trip in late April, 2010 on the Odyssey and it was wonderful.

Weather: NB: I was there in late April/early May.

Brussels and other Belgian ports were very comfortable for touring in capris and short sleeved shirts. Generally I would start out with a short sleeve tee under a long sleeved blouse.

Holland ports: the further north we went the colder it got! When we were at the Zuider Zee museum it was rainy, damp and cold, but the museum is a wonderful place so layer and go. The day we went to the Keuk. was sunny, bright, clear and freezing! But the tulips and grounds just take your breath away. Amsterdam: pouring rain and clammy cold.

Brussels: you will have a tour of the city that takes you pretty much everywhere and an optional tour to Ghent, which is worthwhile. The hotel is well located and across from a huge indoor mall, behind which is a street filled with restaurants, all of which have good food and big city prices! I tell everyone make sure you try Kriek in Belgium, it's cherry beer and it's fantastic and you can only get it in Belgium. Don't buy chocolate in Brussels because you will have to carry it with you for the rest of the trip and you'll be able to buy it in Antwerp or Brugges just as easily.

Odyssey: Very comfortable and clean with a fantastic crew. If you run into a guy names Elvis, tell him the "duck lady" says Hi! Breakfast is buffet with hot and cold cereals, many types of bread, meats and cheese, broiled tomatoes if you're lucky, pastry and eggs, bacon, etc. with a cooked to order station. They also usually have a breakfast specialty which is ordered off the menu. Lunch is also buffet with all kinds of sandwich and salad makings, soup and a hot meal selection. Dinner is always sit down with salad, soup, choice of 3 entrees (+ vegetarian which are stupendous) and dessert. You get iced tea and coffee but have to pay extra for soda, beer and wine. If you like wine you can buy a bottle and they will put your room on it and bring it out the next night or whenever you want it. All meals are open seating. Any other questions feel free to contact me: chydro564@yahoo.com.

Thanks when it gets closer I will send you a note Thanks again. Marty

My dad, stepmom and I did this exact trip last year(4-1-10) It was the coldest spring they had had in a long time. We took fleece, long sleeved Ts, gloves,scarves and a quilted coat. Most days we were comfortable in these layers BUT the day we were at Keukenhof it was soo cold. The early flowers were out and it was still beautiful but the next week I saw they had "normal" spring-like weather so the gardens were probably in FULL bloom. We wished we had brought Doeskins(light weight long johns for ladies) to wear under our slacks and maybe short warm boots.

The day we went to Kinderdijk it was overcast and while we were in watching the movie about Kinderdijk it rained, thundered and hailed!! When it was time for us to walk to the windmills it stopped all of its nonsense and we were able to enjoy them. Back on the bus, rain started.

The rest of the time it went from overcast to partly sunny so we were glad of the layers.

Don't worry about being bored. Vantage keeps you busy during the day and in the evenings we were usually sailing to our next port and after walking around all day outside we were ready for bed by 10-10:30.

We were on the Explorer and I had a room on the very bottom level where if you looked out the window the water level was right there. It was quiet and it even lulled one to sleep. The settes folded down to make two twin beds and they were quite comfy with nice crisp sheets and warm comforters(can't remember if they were down). I had this room to myself because there were 3 of us in our party so I had plenty of room. My folks had a balconey room half way to the dining room and at dinner time it was sometimes difficult to get out of their room because everyone was headed there for dinner. I felt like their room was a bit crowded since the two beds were pushed together to make a queen but the sliding doorwall let in a lot of light and made it less claustrophobic.

The food was wonderful and I was able to try new dishes and if there is something that doesn't appeal to you, you can look at the fine print at the bottom of the menu and they will make you a steak and baked potato! Wish I had seen that earlier because one night the choices really didn't knock my socks off but I chose one anyway and it was quite good.

They have entertainment in the lounge-always a piano player/singer. Some nights there was local entertainment and sometimes during the day if we were sailing they had local artisans onboard giving demos/history of their product i.e. gouda cheese and chocolates! You are able to purchase these also.

I have been on ocean cruises and this was my first river cruise and I loved it. In fact my stepmom and I are going to Germany Nov. 25 for the holiday markets on the Rhine. My dad doesnt like shopping so he's staying at home.

Enjoy your trip!

Barb

Hello Thyme2Cruise - Saw you will be leaving Nov sailing for the Christmas Markets with Vantage....please don't buy all the stuff at the Markets, leave some things for us - we leave on the following trip (Dec 7th) on the same trip. Kinda looking forward to some snow, better photos. Have fun. Willard

Hello Thyme2Cruise - Saw you will be leaving Nov sailing for the Christmas Markets with Vantage....please don't buy all the stuff at the Markets, leave some things for us - we leave on the following trip (Dec 7th) on the same trip. Kinda looking forward to some snow, better photos. Have fun. Willard

My dear Willard: have you not learned after all these years that you never get between a lady and her shopping mission! :D Seriously, I've toyed with the Christmas markets but I really don't like the cold that much and wonder if it's really worth it.....waiting to hear from you guys. Judy

Hi LInda we are doing the same and the same pre trip HELP .Gmwg@juno.com

Hi,

My pretrip to Brussels is March 28th, my river cruise starts April 1st from Amsterdam. We will just miss one another unless you changed your plans :). I'm really looking forward to this trip but I'm not a cold weather person so I'm not looking forward to that. I live in Florida and Cold does not work with me but I will make it work..:D. I'm reading from everybody that layering is the answer which is what I was going to do anyway.

Thanks everybody for all the tips

Linda

Hi LindaRH - Where in Florida are you? We are in Largo. Willard

Hi Willard,

Gainesville area....GO GATORS!...:D. I used to live in Melbourne Beach but we moved into the country 6 years ago to get away from the development on the beach. Now my DH wants to move back to the coast..:rolleyes:.

That's not Key Largo, is it? Florida has a Largo somewhere else to, right?

Linda

Just got back from a 17 day Vantage Cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest....check out my blog at www.beaulily.tumblr.com

Thanks for sharing. It was wonderful to get a preview. We're doing the same cruise from Budapest to Brussells on 10/30/11. Did you do either extension? Did you have to have $45000. medical insurance in Czech Republic? Did you take any of the optional tours?

Happy belated birthday! What a wonderful way to spend a birthday.

Hi LindaRH - Not Key Largo but Largo - Tampa Bay area just above St. Pete. Leaving with Vantage Dec 7th on their Cruising the Rhine During the Holiday Season. Taking our "Santa" hats along for our annual Christmas card. This is our 5th trip with Vantage. We did their China trip a few years back. Fantastic place. Click on this site for my China photos.

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z210/1Willard/

Guess you might have to write that in as it didn't turn blue. Hope it works. Willard

LindaRH - The photo site did work - just click on it. Forgot one thing, I somehow loaded them backwards so it starts at the end of the trip. There is a setting at the bottom of the site where you can hit reverse. Trip starts with the photo of the Panda. Also on that site I have another collection of photos (Willard's news photos - all black and white) - it's on the right hand side. Enjoy. Willard

Hi LindaRH - Not Key Largo but Largo - Tampa Bay area just above St. Pete. Leaving with Vantage Dec 7th on their Cruising the Rhine During the Holiday Season. Taking our "Santa" hats along for our annual Christmas card. This is our 5th trip with Vantage. We did their China trip a few years back. Fantastic place. Click on this site for my China photos.

Guess you might have to write that in as it didn't turn blue. Hope it works. Willard

Willard,

Thanks for the photos. I will be looking at them. I spent a month in China and loved it. A great experience and a lot to see. Enjoy your holiday!

Linda

Your Tulip cruise might be a bust with tulips, we did this cruise last year in May and were dupped....too cold ....no tulips but still had a great time

Gee I hope you are wrong at least for 2012. I do know people that went in April this year and said they did see Tulips but not at full bloom but they also mentioned that they had the coldest spring in a long time. I'm going beginning of April of 2012 and I know it is still quite chilly. Being from Florida that scares me :eek:. However I know, Tulips or no, I will have a great time.

Linda

Great photo's Willard! I have some of the same. I spent a month in Zian doing volunteer work and have been to many places. I love it there. To do a cruise there would be wonderful!

Linda

We had been to Brussels before on another trip. great town. I do recommend to do the tea and cake visit with a family...I heard that was great, I did not do that and wish I had. We did do the wine dinner in Vennia...that was very fun. The whole trip was great!! You will have a wonderful time!!!....The trip to Czech Republic was ok...but nothing special...and also make sure to take the tour to Heidelburg, its a long day but a great little town....Have a great time...and if you get Captain Roger tell him hello...Our room servart was Peter, he was great and the best place to set is at the bottom level left hand side, those waiters were awesome. And have a glass of champagne for me at Sunday Breakfast

Gee I hope you are wrong at least for 2012. I do know people that went in April this year and said they did see Tulips but not at full bloom but they also mentioned that they had the coldest spring in a long time. I'm going beginning of April of 2012 and I know it is still quite chilly. Being from Florida that scares me :eek:. However I know, Tulips or no, I will have a great time.

Linda

We did the Vantage Tulip cruise April 8-18 in 2009. There were hyacinth and some tulip fields blooming north of Amsterdam. We were at the Keukenhof Gardens April 17 and the tulips were magnificent. The daffodils were mostly finished around Amsterdam and the azaleas and rhododendrons were just beginning. Many of the tress were also flowering at Keukenhof and in the Amsterdam area. It was amazing.

We live near Washington, DC and I think the tulips are like the cherry blossoms in that they bloom according to the weather and it is hard to predict when they will peak.

The weather was chilly but not cold some places and surprisingly warm and sunny in others. We had very little rain which was unusual. Just pack layers and you will be fine.

We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise.

We did the Vantage Tulip cruise April 8-18 in 2009. There were hyacinth and some tulip fields blooming north of Amsterdam. We were at the Keukenhof Gardens April 17 and the tulips were magnificent. The daffodils were mostly finished around Amsterdam and the azaleas and rhododendrons were just beginning. Many of the tress were also flowering at Keukenhof and in the Amsterdam area. It was amazing.

We live near Washington, DC and I think the tulips are like the cherry blossoms in that they bloom according to the weather and it is hard to predict when they will peak.

The weather was chilly but not cold some places and surprisingly warm and sunny in others. We had very little rain which was unusual. Just pack layers and you will be fine.

We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise.

I hope we will have the same weather.

Hi,

My pretrip to Brussels is March 28th, my river cruise starts April 1st from Amsterdam. We will just miss one another unless you changed your plans :). I'm really looking forward to this trip but I'm not a cold weather person so I'm not looking forward to that. I live in Florida and Cold does not work with me but I will make it work..:D. I'm reading from everybody that layering is the answer which is what I was going to do anyway.

Thanks everybody for all the tips

Linda

Correction: My cruise starts March 31st, not April 1st on the River Odyssey. I have the pretrip in Brussels for 3 nights. Flying to Newark to catch the FREE airfare to Brussels (obviously not totally free).

LOVE your photos! We leave on this trip to China in 18 days! Can't wait! Any tips??