ROLL CALL, COSTA MAGICA April 15

smith6806

Jo42 : You mentioned coffee delivered to your cabin is free but a service charge applies of 3.5 euros.

Is there a service charge for breakfast delivered to the cabin or is this complimentary? I understand it is a continental breakfast only in the cabin?

Rachly, Yes-we arrived in Barcelona at 2PM. NB*Keep in mind--if you have 2nd dinner sitting 9:15-9:30PM, there is really no place to eat between 5pm & your dinner time. One of my fellow passengers mentionned that some people returned from a tour starving & couldn't find anything to eat, couldn't wait till 9pm & ended up eating in the specialty restaurant which opens at 7pm at 20Euro per person. Grab a bite in port if you think there will be timing issues. Tea time 4-5pm. Sliced pizza 4-5pm. No pizza again until 9pm.

There was no charge for the breakfast delivery. Only when we had coffee on the last night when packing at 1.00am!

Breakfast is continental but there is plenty of choice. eg juice, coffee, capuccino, hot choc, tea, rolls, bread, croissants, pastry, jam, cereal etc, etc. Make sure you order hot water with your coffee and hot milk unless you like it VV strong! Try writing anything else on the menu and you might just get it.

Tip: Dinner service pretty slow-got better at end of wk after a staff mtg(we hear). Only 2nd run on this route, maybe still working out kinks. It is quite customary to order a pasta dish & then a meat/meatless entree. Good idea!There isn't a lot of time to order something else if you don't like your entree & your tablemates will be waiting for you to finish-At least you have pasta. Most times, my daughter & I would share the pasta & order an entree each. Pasta's good & soon everyone at the table was ordering pasta & entree each. One teen at our table was not happy with any of her entree selections & ended up eating her mom's pasta each night. There's always pizza later(9pm-2am) if dinner wasn't satisfying. Steak dishes on several nights tended to be undercooked-don't know if this was a constant (Jo42-did your table find it the same?). Sorry to be bearer of bad news for lobster lovers--No lobster! Suggestion:If you're going to be late or not planning to go to dining room--call because they wait till everyone at table is present before taking orders. Sorry for such long msgs, don't want you to miss out on anything.

Jo42 : Are the formal nights on a Tuesday and Saturday?

Myself and my son are embarking at Barcelona this coming Tuesday, 24th May.

On the formal nights on the Magica, were the the men generally wearing suits or tuxedos?

Formal nights were wed and sat. Wednesday was the captains cocktail party and was 'more' formal than Saturday - the farewell gala dinner. We were first sitting and there was a severe lack of Tuxedo's!! Most men in lounge suits with or without ties. All the ladies were dressed. Don't know if 2nd sitting was any different but last time we were second sitting and there were more men in tux.

We talked so much we didn't notice if table service was slow! We were the last to leave the dining room each night - they kept having to raise the lights!! All of our table mates had starter, pasta and entree ( some even had the soup and salad also!) I do enjoy my beef medium rare and this was even better in the speciallity resturaunt. Never managed pizza in the eve or the late night buffets, but did enjoy a slice around 4pm!!

Enjoy your trip:)

I had first sitting as well, Jo42. I kept missing the late night buffets & later on in the wk decided to stay up & pop in to take some pics. You didn't miss anything! Same food, just displayed differently.

Hi TDOTCRUISR,

Can you pls give me the 1st and second seating dinner times? I think my t/a has on on second, and I might want to switch. Also, thx for ALL the helpful info you've given us!!

Rachy: 1st seating is 7pm-7:15pm and 2nd seating is 9:15pm-9:30pm. At first I requested 2nd seating, but was instead assigned to 1st seating. It worked out well for me. There are advantages/disadvantages to both. Some people like to rest upon returning from port, before dressing for dinner. I laid out all my clothes, etc the night before, so I could get ready much quicker. The 2nd seating is traditionally less rushed, if you like to sit around/chat & if you don't intend to see the shows. Showtime for 1st seating is 9:30pm & 11:30pm for 2nd. If you don't join ship tours, then 2nd is great. Otherwise, plan on very little rest since some of the tours start pretty early. Hope this helps!

When we had second sitting on our first Costa Cruise we never managed to see any of the shows as we always seemed to miss the start. Apart from some rushed showers! I much prefer first sitting - eating too late is not so good and you've no room left for the buffet!

Also, having had breakfast in the Portofino restaurant I much prefer the surroundings of the Smerelda Rest (Deck 4) - somehow it seemed more 'open' and airy. We were at the back of the restaurant near a big window - lovely view when sailing..

HI TDOTCRUISR,

Thanks for your prompt reply about dinner seating time. There really are pro's and con's to both. The last time I cruised our dinner time got mixed up and when I went to the head M'D, his reply was "i would have to throw 500 people overboard to accomodate you!(imagine that) BTW, where are you from? Just curious if you don't mind. You are so helpful and thorough about everyone's questions! See you soon...

Rachly: Don't mind you asking at all. I'm from Toronto, Canada. It's not just you-everytime I have tried to have the M'D change anything, I have had no results either. For some reason, I always request 2nd & get 1st anyway. Guess you just have to go with the flow. Traditionally, it is much harder to get 2nd seating than it is to have 1st seating. There are always more young kids in the 1st seating. On my last cruise(Carnival) I had a 5:30pm dinnertime, so 7pm wasn't that bad. It just meant that we had to eat again later!

Archived