Stonehenge in pm on arrival day? Reasonable?

tpbf

We will be at least two, maybe three days, before our 8/25/12 cruise in London. On the "bucket" list for a long time has been Stonehenge. I expect our plane to land before 8am Weds/Thurs before our Sat. cruise. Is it reasonable to plan an evening trip to Stonehenge for the afternoon on the day we arrive (leaving about 1pm) or should we just do the early morning the next day?

I am concerned that this might not be enough time to get to London, ditch the bags and head for the tour. We'll just cope with the fatigue.

Has to be one or the other as, in the "bucket" tradition, we want to get as up close and personal to those stones as possible and it looks like you gotta do sunrise/sunset to be that close.

Or, anyone with other suggestions for fitting the trip in? thanks

You don't say where you will be cruising from but if it is Southampton then Stonehenge is not too far away....about 40 minutes drive if I remember correctly. Stonehenge does not open until 9a.m. Would it be possible for you to arrange transport from London to Southampton via Stonehenge. It would mean an early start but you could then be on your cruise ship by 12 noon.

If I'm reading your post right...... yes, if your flight lands 8am, you'll be through airport formalities about 9am, & in any central London hotel well before 11am. So a tour departing 1pm should be no problem.

Presumably this is a tour which visits more than Stonehenge ? - the place is about 90 minutes from central London, sunset is around 8pm & even the most avid Stonehenge fan wouldn't want to spend more than about an hour there.

Would they? :eek:

The usual facilities - refreshments, gift shop, even audio-guides - aren't available outside general public hours, so you will need your own experienced tour guide for the sunrise/sunset hours.

As soccerref's post, if you are sailing from Southampton, Stonehenge is only about 45 minutes from Southampton, & not far off the London to Southampton road. So it could tie in nicely with your transfer, though I guess that's not gonna work with your proposed early/late private guided viewings.

John Bull :)

We (2 of us) are going to Stonehenge after our cruise arrives back in Southampton on the way to the airport. Private car picks us up at the ship at 8:30 AM, goes to Stonehenge so we can tour for one hour, then on to Heathrow for our 2:30 PM flight. They estimate we will be at Heathrow by noon at the latest. Cost 65 pounds for for the Southampton-Heathrow trip plus 50 pounds for Stonehenge. Doesn't meet the sunup/sundown Stonehege tour requirement but could be a viable option if you don't want to go there after a long flight.

We (2 of us) are going to Stonehenge after our cruise arrives back in Southampton on the way to the airport. Private car picks us up at the ship at 8:30 AM, goes to Stonehenge so we can tour for one hour, then on to Heathrow for our 2:30 PM flight. They estimate we will be at Heathrow by noon at the latest. Cost 65 pounds for for the Southampton-Heathrow trip plus 50 pounds for Stonehenge. Doesn't meet the sunup/sundown Stonehege tour requirement but could be a viable option if you don't want to go there after a long flight.

Spot-on.

On the way from London or airport to Southampton, or vice-versa, is the way to do it with most efficient use of time and money. :)

With enough time, it can even be done by public transport

And since the OP's flight isn't same-day, they can get up-close & personal before or after general admission times. The real problem with that is the lack of the usual facilities, esp audio-guides. Outside general admission times, if they don't have a guide they're just looking at a bunch of stones. And building an out-of-hours visit into a transfer means finding, hiring, and paying for their own guide, rather than sharing that cost with a London/Stonehenge/London tour group.

BTW, azcruiser, your total cost of £115 is reasonable - very reasonable.

But I suspect that the quote is split Southampton-Stonehenge & Stonehenge-Heathrow.

Usual cost of a direct Southampton-Heathrow is about £85, so an extra £30 to cover the diversion to Stonehenge & waiting time is very fair.

How your cost is split is irrelevant to you, but sadly others shouldn't use £65 for Southampton-Heathrow as the benchmark. ;)

JB :)

We used Woodford Chauffeur Cars( info@woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk ) for a transfer from a Heathrow hotel to Southampton with a 1 hr stop in Stone Henge. Although the stones are roped off you are very close. You will still get fab pix. It is very helpful to use the audioguides which allow you to access whatever type of extra info interests you (historical, architectural).

We used Woodford Chauffeur Cars( info@woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk ) for a transfer from a Heathrow hotel to Southampton with a 1 hr stop in Stone Henge. Although the stones are roped off you are very close. You will still get fab pix. It is very helpful to use the audioguides which allow you to access whatever type of extra info interests you (historical, architectural).

We did the 3 site tour to Stonehenge, along with Windsor Castle and Bath.

As I have said many times here, Stonehenge was always one of the places I hoped to visit in my lifetime. To some it may be just a pile of rocks, but to others, it is something we have dreamed and wondered about for many years.

As has been said, unless you are there for sun rise or sun set tours, about the most time you will need there is about 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Once admission is made you get a pair of head phones to where while they explain the entire scene and what you are looking at. We would have loves to spend more time there, but the time we did have was memories, well made.

Here are a few of my pix of Stonehenge

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europept2251.jpg

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europept2257.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europept2260.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europept2275.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europept2273.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europept2256.jpg

Enjoy this mystical place.

Cheers

Len

We did the 3 site tour to Stonehenge, along with Windsor Castle and Bath.

As I have said many times here, Stonehenge was always one of the places I hoped to visit in my lifetime. To some it may be just a pile of rocks, but to others, it is something we have dreamed and wondered about for many years.

As has been said, unless you are there for sun rise or sun set tours, about the most time you will need there is about 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Once admission is made you get a pair of head phones to where while they explain the entire scene and what you are looking at. We would have loves to spend more time there, but the time we did have was memories, well made.

Here are a few of my pix of Stonehenge

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europept2251.jpg

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europept2257.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europept2260.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europept2275.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europept2273.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europept2256.jpg

Enjoy this mystical place.

Cheers

Len

Hi there,

We will be arriving in London on 11/1 and take a trf/tour to Southampton on 11/3 for our cruise on 11/4. I have been checking into Londontoolkit for a price for 8-10 people trf/tour to Windsor, Stonehenge and Salisbury Cathedral. Several questions. The price they gave us for 10 is 500 for just a driver and 600GBP for tour/guide driver. They will then drop us off at Jurys Inn where we are staying in Southampton. Is this a fair price? Second: would a stop at Bath be better than stopping at Salisbury? I have no clue about either place. I just wanted to see Stonehenge and Windsor for sure. Plus they want payment up front in full when I book. I don't even know these people from CC. I would assume they are good for their portion but what if they back out then I'm responsible for their share if someone else doesn't sign up. I am so frustrated!!!! Please help!!:confused:

Hi there,

We will be arriving in London on 11/1 and take a trf/tour to Southampton on 11/3 for our cruise on 11/4. I have been checking into Londontoolkit for a price for 8-10 people trf/tour to Windsor, Stonehenge and Salisbury Cathedral. Several questions. The price they gave us for 10 is 500 for just a driver and 600GBP for tour/guide driver. They will then drop us off at Jurys Inn where we are staying in Southampton. Is this a fair price? Second: would a stop at Bath be better than stopping at Salisbury? I have no clue about either place. I just wanted to see Stonehenge and Windsor for sure. Plus they want payment up front in full when I book. I don't even know these people from CC. I would assume they are good for their portion but what if they back out then I'm responsible for their share if someone else doesn't sign up. I am so frustrated!!!! Please help!!:confused:

1. The price you've been quoted.

I'm guessing from your dates that the quote is ex- central London hotel, not airport.

Regardless of how your price has been quoted, it's not from "London Toolkit". It's folk who advertise on their site or have business arrangements with them - and they can be expensive.

Its a brilliant website, packed with good info. But business is business, & £500 sounds heavy. Do you have a name for the transfer company?

Have you sought any other quotes?

Here's a couple of Southampton-based companies, worth getting comparison quotes. Can't vouch for their prices, but can vouch for their reputation & integrity:

http://www.panachetravel.co.uk/

http://www.coliseumcoaches.co.uk/ Don't worry that Coliseum's smallest coaches are 19-seaters - their price is likely to compare well, and (with respect ;)) American cruisers' luggage can be a problem with small vans.

2. Bath

You need to take a good look at a map.

A simple transfer from central London to Southampton is about 80 miles, 1 hour & 40 minutes if the traffic doesn't foul you up.

Windsor is so close to the central London / Southampton route that it's easy to incorporate into that transfer if you have the time - add only about 20 mins travelling and one hour to look round Windsor - two if you want to look round the castle.

Stonehenge involves a net detour of mebbe 30 miles / 40 mins.

Allow about an hour at Stonehenge.

The route then naturally takes you via Salisbury. So no additional travelling time, but add say 40 mins for the cathedral or perhaps 90 mins to include wandering the city.

Here's the route:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=London&daddr=51.50177,-0.61695+to:51.2284,-1.12779+to:51.1717,-1.7788+to:southampton&geocode=FXjUEQMd5BL-_yl13iGvC6DYRzGZKtXdWjqWUg%3BFcraEQMdCpb2_ynB-eMyJnt2SDEgn4AsxoUREw%3BFfCuDQMdksru_ylnXn67diJ0SDHgJlBQQfQQEw%3BFXTRDAMdkNvk_ylRv8sj8eVzSDHQGNStLa4OEw%3BFYa_CAMdnpbq_ykJKRW-V4lzSDHwcdpMalqMpw&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=8&via=1,2,3&sll=51.358062,-1.73584&sspn=1.293158,3.389282&ie=UTF8&z=8

Bath is much more interesting & very much more iconic than Salisbury. But it's not a simple substitute. It involves a much much longer route. Find it on the map. You're adding a further 65 miles & 1.25 hours travelling time. And whereas you can do justice to Salisbury in 90 minutes, less than 3 hours in Bath is worse than not going there.

If you do the arithmetic, you'll see that:

London / Windsor / Stonehenge / Salisbury / Southampton totals 5.5 to 7 hrs.

London / Windsor / Bath / Stonehenge / (drive-thru Salisbury) / Southampton is around 9 to 10 hours.

So figure your available time, inclination & funds.

3. Tour-share

I don't know, I've no experience from either end.

As a tour principal, I'd think I'd insist on receiving before paying.

As a subordinate sharer, I think I'd insist on receiving before paying.

So I guess I'll never know :rolleyes:

But is it worth getting a quote for a car for 4?

OK, possibly a higher price pp, but so much less risk & hassle.

Try these Southampton area companies, well respected amongst cc'ers

www.westquaycars.com/

www.smithsforairports.com/

www.advancedairportcars.co.uk/

Stax to think about.

Start with a stiff drink & a bottle of headache pills ;)

1. The price you've been quoted.

I'm guessing from your dates that the quote is ex- central London hotel, not airport.

Regardless of how your price has been quoted, it's not from "London Toolkit". It's folk who advertise on their site or have business arrangements with them - and they can be expensive.

Its a brilliant website, packed with good info. But business is business, & £500 sounds heavy. Do you have a name for the transfer company?

Have you sought any other quotes?

Thank you John,

We are staying at the Darlington Hyde parke. I hope that is a decent hotel!

The name of the company from Toolkit is "International Friends Tour Company".

Yes I have been checking into other companies: Steve Spire, Londonbushire, woodfordchauffeurcars (haven't received their quote).

I will definitely check the ones you recommended.

thank you so much for the information. I believe I will print your post for reference. Thanks again. I will let you know what I decide. I did start another thread about the London/southampton transfer but no hits on it yet. I do appreciate advice from those who "know".

John's advice is always dead on, and you can never go wrong taking it.

For me, I would really be hesitant about paying full price, right up front, for anything like that. Maybe they are a very reputable company, but why wouldn't they just ask for a deposit??

Cheers

Len

Thanks John (and Len),

I checked out the tour companies you suggested and MADE A DECISION. We are going with Panache Tours. Len, you are correct. It is a bad idea to pay all up front. That was what concerned me. the ones that John recommended will take credit card payment prior to tour on-line or cash (pounds) after tour. Of course there is an extra charge to use credit card but it elimiates the need to have that much cash onhand. They did not ask for a deposit just my CC to hold the reservation. (I hope they don't go shopping!!) LOL

Another person in our group is checking with John about pubs in Southampton in November. We'll see where that takes us. I'm not in charge of that one but I will certainly be attending.

thanks again John. You really took a weight off my shoulders.:rolleyes:

Thank you John,

We are staying at the Darlington Hyde parke. I hope that is a decent hotel!

The name of the company from Toolkit is "International Friends Tour Company".

Yes I have been checking into other companies: Steve Spire, Londonbushire, woodfordchauffeurcars (haven't received their quote).

I will definitely check the ones you recommended.

thank you so much for the information. I believe I will print your post for reference. Thanks again. I will let you know what I decide. I did start another thread about the London/southampton transfer but no hits on it yet. I do appreciate advice from those who "know".

Sorry, don't know the hotel but it's well-located.

Woodford come with a top reputation & prices to match, other than that I don't know any of those transfer companies. But there's dozens in London.

Mebbe Londoners on this forum can help

I always suggest locally-based transfer companies (Southampton, Dover, etc) cos they seem to be less greedy than those based in London or at airports.

JB :)

Edit: Ahh, irrelevant now, glad you're sorted. In my work I've occasionally passed the time of day with both boss and drivers at Panache. Smart, conscientious, friendly & professional set-up.

I'll agree about Bath vs Salisbury. We were just there in April-post cruise and spent three extra days, all in the Salisbury-Bath area.

Salisbury was lovely and the cathedral wonderful, but 2-3 hours was plenty for us. An hour or so was enough for Stonehenge also. We wanted to go to Avebury but couldn't find it and missed Old Sarum because of driving difficulties.

We spent all day, 8+ hours, in Bath and still didn't begin to see everything. However, we did walk to everything so if you are with a tour that drives you from, say, the Roman Baths to the Royal Crescent, it would go faster.

But, I wouldn't have missed walking around Bath anyway.

We also toured some of the local picturesque villages (on our own).

Archived