Question Maho Beach Bars and Kids

maileenm

We want to take our two boys 4 and 8 to see the planes land on Maho beach, we know they will get a kick out of it. I looked at the flight schedules and most of the bigger planes usually land between 11:30-2:00.

That is right during lunch. I thought about getting something to eat at one of the bars a long the beach but are they kid friendly?

We want to take our two boys 4 and 8 to see the planes land on Maho beach, we know they will get a kick out of it. I looked at the flight schedules and most of the bigger planes usually land between 11:30-2:00.

That is right during lunch. I thought about getting something to eat at one of the bars a long the beach but are they kid friendly?

Sunset is a beach bar/restaurant so yes kids are allowed. They do have a policy that topless women at the bar drink free. This beach changes regularly and at times it can have a drop right near the shore. The atmosphere and the planes landing and taking off makes this a great beach for an hour or two/place to grab lunch and I think that your boys will definitely get "a kick out of it".

Like others said, the bar offers free drinks to topless women, we only saw one.

The beach is not a very good swimming beach, lots of sand to play in, but the water/waves were so bad, my son (age 13) and I could not stand up and the waves would break over our heads and send us underwater flying in every direction, inside out and upside down. Not safe for young kids to swim unless you are in the water with them. We got some good "funniest vidoes" out of it anyway. I got sand in places I didn't know I had places. :D

They will LOVE the planes. It was so cool! There is no need to get there before 11am, we sat around for a long time before big planes got there. Traffic is slow so allow yourself a long time to get to the beach and back.

Just make sure they aren't standing behind the aircraft when they throttle up for take off. Not only does it hurt like hell, but they will have sand embedded in their skin for quite a while.

It's a very cool, fun beach but safety must be a forethought when so close to a jet engine aircraft. They can send people flying through the air with no problem. Just keep that in mind when the larger planes take off and you'll have a great day!!! :D

It's a great place for watching the planes come in. A definite "don't miss" of the island IMO. They will love it.

Just be careful of the beach. When we were there (and I've read others state as well) the sand in the water drops off quickly. The water can get a little rough some times. You can be in 2' of water and the next step it will drop to 4' or so. So just be careful. There are a lot of rocks there too. When the water rises, it's all the way up to the rocks.

The sunset bar is right there beside the beach. It's a great place. You eat outside at the tables and they do have tables with umbrellas, so if you need a little shade for awhile, you got it. You won't miss any planes coming in either (if you are eating). They even have a water hose there to hose the sand off of you if needed. Clean bathrooms. Excellent place and good food when we went. :)

• 2 weeks later...

What about the other bar on that beach, Guys Driftwood Boat bar? Is that a good beach to hang out at....sounds like Sunset is very popular...but I would love to hear more about Guys.....is the food good?? I hear it has $2 beers all day! How is the beach there...Do they have chairs/loungers there??

Thanks Gary for posting the pics! Looks like a small little place, but perfect for our needs! From your pics, I see they had some loungers there...do they charge to use them or is it as long as you are buying beer etc. from them, the use of them is free??

I also started a thread regarding taking a bus over to Maho Beach....do you have any info on that? I don't want to hijack this thread, so can you post there if you know about the busing??

Thanks again for the pics! Very helpful!!

I do not intend this to be a "wet blanket" post and am not at all discouraging people from taking youngsters to Maho. Those jets! That scenery! Talk about your "What did you do this summer?" experience. But please, please, please consider bringing disposable ear protection at least for children. There are foam ones that are inexpensive and easy to use; they even make some in kid sizes. We use the highest OTC protection available (about 38 db) for things like this. Hearing can so easily be permanently damaged, especially when young bodies are developing.

End of little safety lecture.

beachchick

• 5 years later...
I do not intend this to be a "wet blanket" post and am not at all discouraging people from taking youngsters to Maho. Those jets! That scenery! Talk about your "What did you do this summer?" experience. But please, please, please consider bringing disposable ear protection at least for children. There are foam ones that are inexpensive and easy to use; they even make some in kid sizes. We use the highest OTC protection available (about 38 db) for things like this. Hearing can so easily be permanently damaged, especially when young bodies are developing.

End of little safety lecture.

beachchick

I was thinking the same thing. My daughter will just have turned 3 when we sail and IF we go here I definitely want to bring her noise canceling headphones! May do something else, we'll see. No carseat makes me nervous.