Jolly Beach Resort or Grand Pineapple Beach Resort

CCLcruiserga

After much debate, we have finally decided to do a day pass at one of the resorts. We have narrowed it down to Jolly Beach Resort and Spa or Grand Pineapple Beach Resort. There are four in our party (51, 51, 23, 13); we love to snorkel but have heard the snorkeling off shore isn't that great. We are mainly looking for a great beach (not too rough), nice facilities to use for the day, chairs/umbrellas....etc. If you have used these resorts, which do you recommend and why? I've heard the ride to Pineapple is longer, but honestly, we just want a fun filled beach day with choices of water activities. Thanks in advance!!!

We have not done a day pass at the beaches you mentioned, but did spend the day at Long Bay beach where the Grand Pineapple is located. As far as snorkeling is concerned, if the ocean is reasonably calm, you can do some interesting snorkeling. It is a longer ride than to some other beaches but it is a lovely beach.

I've attached some pictures. The first two are of the Grand Pineapple from the beach. The third shows where we entered to snorkel at the far right of the beach as you look out to sea. The last 4 are pictures I took snorkeling with a really cheap camera.

MC100_5427sm.jpg.883741c7def7bc87d812030aefb98bec.jpg

MC100_5416sm.jpg.6ff87d9503a7b00ccba99210854870a0.jpg

MC100_5419sm.jpg.a5060d34cbef322571565591095a93e0.jpg

MCPICT0160sm.jpg.e330b9a99eae94b038a13c986c27fa51.jpg

MCPICT0164sm.jpg.51216c8781772d309779fd61fa2f73f2.jpg

MCPICT0176sm.jpg.1eb0495372862390d456264a87f18311.jpg

MCPICT0185sm.jpg.6141605f12e51e196feb158aafae6c5a.jpg

After much debate, we have finally decided to do a day pass at one of the resorts. We have narrowed it down to Jolly Beach Resort and Spa or Grand Pineapple Beach Resort. There are four in our party (51, 51, 23, 13); we love to snorkel but have heard the snorkeling off shore isn't that great. We are mainly looking for a great beach (not too rough), nice facilities to use for the day, chairs/umbrellas....etc. If you have used these resorts, which do you recommend and why? I've heard the ride to Pineapple is longer, but honestly, we just want a fun filled beach day with choices of water activities. Thanks in advance!!!

If snorkelling is important to you then skip Jolly Beach. At most times of the year it's not possible because of almost zero visibility.

• 2 weeks later...

This cruise is for our 25th anniversary, and 25 years ago we spent out honeymoon at the (then) Pineapple Beach Club. A perfect 2 1/2 week honeymoon! My question is has anyone been there lately? Is it is good shape? I want to suprise my DH with a day pass there, but don't want to taint the honeymoon memories if it isn't in good shape. :)

• 2 months later...

We just got back from Serenade of the seas today & we were going to do the Grand Pineapple resort last Wednesday, but then opted for Jolly beach solely based on the amount of the taxi ride. Both are about 20-25 minutes from port. The Grand Pineapple is $32.00 for two each way, todl of $64.00 round trip, while Jolly Beach was $24.00 for two each way, total of $48.00 round trip. Out of the 5 islands we were at this past week, ANtigua had the best beaches, very beautiful. Keep in mind while you are at a resort, the beaches are public, so there are vendors lined up that want to sell you things, but there is no pressure. There are umbrellas and lounge chairs. There are 2 pools, one is very large with a swim up bar. They made all kinds of drinks whenever asked & they were all good. The pool water very warm, and is fresh water not salt. they had many activities. They had a snack bar that opened at 12 - 5 served hamburgers hot dogs, fries, jerk chicken. Then inside there was a buffet lunch from 12:30- 2:30, excellent food, banana fritters, jerk pork chops, roasted chicken, rice & beans, pumkin squash, char griled burgers, cookies, coconut fudge bread pudding, salads. We enjoyed our stay there. The day pass was $60.00 per person, and you have to bring your own towels, thankfully I packed the towels from the ship. Just tell the tax driver when he drops you off what time you want to be picked up & he will be there waiting.

• 6 months later...
We just got back from Serenade of the seas today & we were going to do the Grand Pineapple resort last Wednesday, but then opted for Jolly beach solely based on the amount of the taxi ride. Both are about 20-25 minutes from port. The Grand Pineapple is $32.00 for two each way, todl of $64.00 round trip, while Jolly Beach was $24.00 for two each way, total of $48.00 round trip. Out of the 5 islands we were at this past week, ANtigua had the best beaches, very beautiful. Keep in mind while you are at a resort, the beaches are public, so there are vendors lined up that want to sell you things, but there is no pressure. There are umbrellas and lounge chairs. There are 2 pools, one is very large with a swim up bar. They made all kinds of drinks whenever asked & they were all good. The pool water very warm, and is fresh water not salt. they had many activities. They had a snack bar that opened at 12 - 5 served hamburgers hot dogs, fries, jerk chicken. Then inside there was a buffet lunch from 12:30- 2:30, excellent food, banana fritters, jerk pork chops, roasted chicken, rice & beans, pumkin squash, char griled burgers, cookies, coconut fudge bread pudding, salads. We enjoyed our stay there. The day pass was $60.00 per person, and you have to bring your own towels, thankfully I packed the towels from the ship. Just tell the tax driver when he drops you off what time you want to be picked up & he will be there waiting.

We are thinking of JBR for our Antigua beach day (Carnival Valor), it's our DD's 9th birthday and she loves the beach. How was the water on the beach...clear....shallow? Our main priority is the beach......we are looking for clear, calm, shallow waters. No drop-offs, seagrass covered bottoms, and silty water that is cloudy. Was the food good?

Jolly Beach Resort has the best beach on Antigua. My husband and I stayed there for 10 days in 2010 and again in 2011. In addition to the beach, they have a beautiful resort pool with a swim up bar (order a hummingbird, YUM). The jerk chicken at the grill is my favorite! To top it all off, the staff is AMAZING! If you go, tell Ann-Marie and Kofi that JimCarrie said Hi!

Jolly Beach Resort has the best beach on Antigua. My husband and I stayed there for 10 days in 2010 and again in 2011. In addition to the beach, they have a beautiful resort pool with a swim up bar (order a hummingbird, YUM). The jerk chicken at the grill is my favorite! To top it all off, the staff is AMAZING! If you go, tell Ann-Marie and Kofi that JimCarrie said Hi!

What was the cost of your day trip here and how long of a taxi ride was it?

We were just at Pineapple last month. Beach was nice with lounge chairs. Umbrella's were stationary. Food and drinks were good. They have a quiet pool for adults only that was small and all the chairs were taken when we got there. There is also a larger pool which was nice.

We booked with Carl's tours of Antigua to take us there and back. It was about a 25 minute drive from the pier.

Just wondering if you went to JBR? We are cruising in 2weeks and have planned to beach it there.....how was it?

• 3 weeks later...

Jolly Beach is beautiful. The water is gorgeous. It rained hard the night before, so it wasn't clear. It was very milky looking but seemed clean. The sand is beautiful. There are gorgeous shells all over. We swam in the ocean and were very happy!

It only cost us $5 each way. After getting off the ship, just walk a bit further up the street. The price goes down the further you walk. We told the cab drivers close to the pier that we were taking the bus. We honestly thought we were going by bus, but a kind, young man offered us a ride for a very reasonable price and told us he wouldn't collect it until the trip was over! We had a great experience!

IMO Jolly Beach Resort was a total rip-off, would never go there again! When we arrived I was impressed with the open lobby area, looked nice. Desk clerks were dressed nicely, and the view was impressive. Making our way to the beach I noticed old beat up tables and chairs around the courtyard and the pools looked like they weren't maintained very well. No big deal, not going to interfere with my day after all I'm going for the beach and ocean. Once we got to the beach we saw the beat up lounge chairs and a few palapas (really just a small shingled roof on a pole) and vendors everywhere. I was very disappointed as I expect a resort to keep vendors out....one of the reasons we didn't go to a free beach. As for the "inclusives" drinks are served in a 6 oz cup with very little ice. There are house brands and draught beer only and the food was worse than a flea market grill. Old hot dogs and hamburgers, or chicken served in a basket with greasy fries. Overall a dirty rundown resort with very little to offer.:mad:

@Lily, its unforunate that you had such an unpleasant experience. However, I've had the pleasure of having lunch several time at JBR, and I can't say that I had the same experience. There are a number of foods etc that are available at Jolly Beach for lunch, yet it seems you only mentioned those from the grill?

Also, all beaches in Antigua and Barbuda are, by law, "free", and all hotels are obligated to provide access to these beaches. What you paid for was the use of facilities/food from Jolly Beach Resort, and not for use of the beach

@ Antigualocaldg I grew up on the beach and spent my youth working at resorts. I know beaches are free therefor when I pay $150+ for 3 day passes I expect some amenities......as far as my expectations, I expected a beach towel (not included), a decent lunch (whether the grill or buffet it was very poor quality) and a clean environment (everything looked beat up and dirty). The fact that you have had lunch there does not contribute to the day pass aspect of this resort, I was offering my experience for the poster to take into consideration....as I stated at the start "IMO". Take it however you want, the resort's offerings for a day pass is a joke.

I've spent three weeks at JBR in the past two years. IMO, I wouldnt want to be anywhere else in Antugua. IMO, $150 for 3 people to eat, drink and relax in paradise for the day seems like a flipping BARGAIN. Sorry you weren't offered lobster tails on a crystal plate and a foot massage.

IMO, you should look into Sandals next year, I hear their canned crab meat is to die for. :D

@ Antigualocaldg I grew up on the beach and spent my youth working at resorts. I know beaches are free therefor when I pay $150+ for 3 day passes I expect some amenities......as far as my expectations, I expected a beach towel (not included), a decent lunch (whether the grill or buffet it was very poor quality) and a clean environment (everything looked beat up and dirty). The fact that you have had lunch there does not contribute to the day pass aspect of this resort, I was offering my experience for the poster to take into consideration....as I stated at the start "IMO". Take it however you want, the resort's offerings for a day pass is a joke.

I think that it depends what you want out of your day. We did a daypass at JBR back in 2007 while staying on the island at a villa for a couple of weeks. One of our teenaged daughters wanted a windsurfing lesson and my husband wanted a small craft sailing lesson. These lessons were going for $50 each at the time. We paid $60 or so for the passes, which included these lessons so we found JBR to be a great deal for us.

Last week at Dickenson beach we paid $8 each for cocktails with or without alcohol at Sneaky Pete's and that can add up as well. If you want a gourmet lunch at a gorgeous resort on Antigua for $75 pp at Carlisle Bay Resort you can have that. So although the food at JBR was nothing to write home about(it was no better in 1992 on our honeymoon either BTW) if you look around and compare it to other ways to spend $75 on Antigua it is a pretty good value IMO.

Archived