Shipping luggage to the ship ahead of time

spunky123

My husband and I don't like to bother carrying luggage with us to the ship. On Regent and other cruise lines we shipped our luggage to the ship early and when we arrive our bags were in our cabin. On some ships we have had our suitcases unpacked for us. It is great. I contacted Oceania and no one seems to know what I am talking about. I thought this was a standard on luxury ships. Is this only a Seabourn, Silverseas, Regent thing or has something changed with regard to luggage handling on all cruises. We will be on Regatta Dec. 17th for 21 days. I can't imagine having to drag around all the luggage. Does anyone have suggestions or know of someone at Oceania who could accommodate us?

My husband and I don't like to bother carrying luggage with us to the ship. On Regent and other cruise lines we shipped our luggage to the ship early and when we arrive our bags were in our cabin. On some ships we have had our suitcases unpacked for us. It is great. I contacted Oceania and no one seems to know what I am talking about. I thought this was a standard on luxury ships. Is this only a Seaborne, Silver seas, Regent thing or has something changed with regard to luggage handling on all cruises. We will be on Regatta Dec. 17th for 21 days. I can't imagine having to drag around all the luggage. Does anyone have suggestions or know of someone at Oceania who could accommodate us?

As it happens. it is only a Seaborne, Silver seas, Regent thing.

There are, however, several services that will deliver your luggage to and from the ship, if you can stand the tariff. I warn you, it's not inexpensive.

Luggage Free and Luggage Forward are the two that I am most familiar with:

WWW.LuggageFREE.com WWW.LuggageForward.com

Once you are on the ship, provided that you've booked a Suite, your butler will take complete charge of packing and unpacking, if that is your preference.

Enjoy your cruise!

After reading a post from Stan and Jim last year about these companies, I am using luggage forward this November. I am doing a Safari in East Africa before picking up the Marina in Rome so I did not want extra luggage. They will pick up at my home and deliver to my hotel in Rome upon my arrival. There is a standard $500 insurance and if you want more, the price is minimal. Prices I think are reasonable for the service. Depending on where you live California for me, 25 lbs is roughly $150, 50 lbs, $250. Worth every penney to me because I am limited to the amount of luggage flying in Africa and didn't want to leave a huge suitcase in the care of tour company. This information was probably not what you requested but for anyone thinking of this, you might look into it. :)

After reading a post from Stan and Jim last year about these companies, I am using luggage forward this November. I am doing a Safari in East Africa before picking up the Marina in Rome so I did not want extra luggage. They will pick up at my home and deliver to my hotel in Rome upon my arrival. There is a standard $500 insurance and if you want more, the price is minimal. Prices I think are reasonable for the service. Depending on where you live California for me, 25 lbs is roughly $150, 50 lbs, $250. Worth every penney to me because I am limited to the amount of luggage flying in Africa and didn't want to leave a huge suitcase in the care of tour company. This information was probably not what you requested but for anyone thinking of this, you might look into it. :)

A Knitter: Be Certain that you enclose a copy of your cruise Itinerary, along with your cell phone #, email address, and a copy of your passport inside the Suitcase that you ship to Rome.

If there is, God forbid. an issue, we want Luggage Forward to have the tools that they need to help you.

A Knitter: Be Certain that you enclose a copy of your cruise Itinerary, along with your cell phone #, email address, and a copy of your passport inside the Suitcase that you ship to Rome.

If there is, God forbid. an issue, we want Luggage Forward to have the tools that they need to help you.

Thanks, they did mention that they needed that information including the passport number, but glad you suggested to enclose a copy of the passport as well. :D

I used them and thought it was an absolutely perfect solution to my problem last year. I took a 15 day Viking Budapest to Vienna, COLD and then met Oceania in Barcelona for a two week cruise WARM..so I loved being able to ship from home to Barcelona..and ship from Vienna back to LA

Jancruz1

Thank you. This is a savvy group of travelers. I am learning a few things. Last year United lost both our suitcases and we were on a 12 day cruise with no clothes. My husband is 6'6 and in Italy there wasn't much he could wear. I would rather take my chances with a luggage service than with an airline. United is now charging $60.00 a bag for each leg of the trip so the price is not prohibitive.

I thought this was a standard on luxury ships. Is this only a Seabourn, Silverseas, Regent.........

It is available on all luxury lines but Oceania does not fall into this category (nor does she advertise herself as a luxury cruise line). I only say this so that you should have appropriate expectations lest you would be disappointed. Oceania is different from those other cruise lines (in many ways for the better) and thus should not be compared with them; she should be enjoyed for what she is. Having said all this, she is a wonderful cruise line and I think you will enjoy your cruise.

Archived