Hilton Riverside NOLA

riddle

We are staying at the Hilton Riverside next month prior to our cruise on the NCL Spirit. We have comped rooms through Harrahs's - I assume there is some sort of reciprocal agreement. Is this an OK location? At most we will have about 24 hours to see some of New Orleans and want to be close to things but we cannot beat the price. Thanks

We are staying at the Hilton Riverside next month prior to our cruise on the NCL Spirit. We have comped rooms through Harrahs's - I assume there is some sort of reciprocal agreement. Is this an OK location? At most we will have about 24 hours to see some of New Orleans and want to be close to things but we cannot beat the price. Thanks

Please when you return from your stay at Hilton Riverside and your cruise on the Spirit post how you liked the hotel and area and getting around and also the Spirit. As we will be staying at the same hotel and cruising on same ship in October.

Thanks so much,

Marcy

I've had 8 nights so in 2011 in this hotel. It is huge and has multiple buildings. One of the buildings is right on the edge of the river and has interesting views. The main building is where you check in (up the escalator from the ground level) and has a number of bars and restaurants.

The only free WIFI in this hotel is in the coffee shop near the check in desk.

The location is good and reasonably safe. We often have a quick meal or a drink at one of the outdoor restaurants a short walk away on the river.

The hotel is attached to the River Walk shopping center which eventually goes toward the cruise port.

The parking garages are confusing.

I have no idea what the comp rooms are like, but I've had a really large nice room in the main building.

Study the layout of the hotel on the WEB site to get an idea where you would like your room to be and telephone the hotel to make a request.

The river front trolly stop is next to the main hotel buiding. I believe it costs $1.75 cash to ride. An interesting attraction in the area is Mardi Gras World which is where the store the parade floats.

Be prepared for truly hot weather.

I had a comp room a few years ago and it was fine The worst thing about it was it faced the railroad tracks (an street car tracks) and once in a while a train would come through, but it wasn't horrible - especially considering the price - and I am not a high roller by any means.

Drago's in the Hilton is GREAT - especially the charbroiled oysters - many imitators, no duplicators, except for the original location in Fat City (in a suburb).

Some pictures of that room are here:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/fantasy_07/nola/nola2.htm

I have never stayed at this hotel, but I was just there for dinner at Drago's (go for the oysters, but there is better fried seafood at other restaurants). Location is great - right next to the port. Keep in mind that it is big "business" hotel - so don't expect free wi-fi, etc.

It is connected with the Riverwalk for shops and within walking distance to the Aquarium which in wonderful.

The Spirit is a wonderful ship - I love the large shaded area in the back for reading without worrying about a sunburn.

I really like that Hilton, so much so that after staying there before our Spirit cruise in 2009, my Mom and I returned to NOLA this past December and stayed there again. I love being able to walk the Riverwalk and watch the ships. (If I can't be on one, I am at least happy to see one.) Having a Cafe du Monde down there doesn't hurt either. (But definitely go to the original for your first visit.)

As for Drago's, we didn't care for it. I prefer the charbroiled oysters at Felix's. If you are going to dine at Drago's, call ahead from your room and let them know you are a guest in the hotel. You will get priority seating.

Enjoy! The Spirit was my first NCL ship and it was easy to fall in love with her.

Thanks Sargent for the pictures. I enjoyed them. We stayed them the last time we cruised from New Orleans. We were also there this past December and stayed in a historial hotel. Walked down to the river and dang, there was a cruise ship. It made me sad. I wanted to be on it. So since we had our May cruise already planned, we planned our next May cruise out of N.O. We have it planned now. Anyway, we would like to stay at the Hilton again. Hope we can get a deal.

Thanks Sargent so much for the photo link to your pics. I enjoyed looking at them. Makes me wish I was there right now.

From the rest of everyone's post the Hilton Riverside seem that it will be a nice hotel and area.

Thanks to everyone

Marcy

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Harrah's comped you for the hotel, but I think you should check the price for the parking per night ! :eek: Seriously, it's not cheap. I think you should consider parking at the Fulton parking, because it's cheaper. Well, at least this is what I heard. I have stayed at this hotel a couple of times, but I always park at Harrah's, because I have a free parking card there. It's right across the street from each other. I always stay at Harrah's, but a couple of times I had decided very last minute and they were full, so they put me across the street at the Hilton. There is a trolley that stops right there in front and takes you to the French Market which is a lot of fun. The hotel is nice and in a safe area, so relax and enjoy yourself. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We plan to park at Harrah's because we definitely will be partaking of their entertainment, lol.

When we head to the ship we will park in the pier parking area as we need to get on the road as quickly as we can get off the ship at the end of the cruise.

Is it necessary or even available to reserve parking at the pier? Is Harrah's ever so full you cannot park there?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Bed bugs will happen to any hotel for the same reason norwalk happens on ships, customers bring them in.

A good hotel will stamp them out.

I wish they would allow small amounts of DDT to be used in transient human locations like hotels and cruise ships, thats what stomped on them so hard it took the bugs 30 years to recover.

We are staying at the Hilton Dec 7th the nite before we leave for our cruise.

FYI we booked thru Priceline bid ($100 bid & like $127ish with tax) and this is what we ended up with. No idea if we got a good deal or not but we are happy with the price.

Looked like about anything you were going to find in that area was going to be $100 minimum for the low end stuff and not that close to cruise port/burb st. area.

Archived