Shopping with the chef in Palamos?

emilee

Hello, we are on the Riviera & Spanish Splendors itinerary in September. Ports include Antibes, Barcelona, Palamos, Port Vendres,and St Tropez. Perhaps someone who has done a similar itinerary in the past can recall which location they used for shopping with the chef - if so, please let me know. I am thinking it might be Palamos? Thank you.

Two years ago on our cruise two weekccruise from Rome to Barcelona it was Palamos. I always enjoy shopping with the chef but I have to say that my favorite shopping excursion was in Livorno last fall.So much depends not only on the market, but the chef and the number of fellow passengers who go with you. My least favorite would have to be Panama City.But wherever you go with the chef one of the big treats is knowing what fish is super fresh so you can order it that night for dinner or the next day for lunch.Enjoy!

Emilee - we did a slighlty similar cruise last year, but Marseille was one of the ports and that was where we went shopping - first time the chef had been there and it was a circus (but memorable and fun in a strange kind of way). Palamos, however, is a nice town and the ship docks in a very good location for a stroll on the promenade whether or not you shop with the chef there. Make sure you go to Collioure during your stop in Port-Vendres. The tourist train stops about 50 yards from the gangway. There were a couple of extra morning departures added specifically for Seabourn Legend guests.

Chairsin - I'm curious about Livorno ... we're stopping there during our 'Florence and Bella Italia' cruise in August. Did a lot of passengers go on the Livorno shopping walk? I've read that many passengers immediately vacate the area and head for Pisa, Lucca or Florence. Does Livorno warrant a look?

Johnnycruise,

We had been to Florence and were toying with the idea of a day in Sienna, San Gimi, or Lucca until we boarded and found out that the shopping with the chef day was Livorno. So we signed up the day we boarded. We were also swayed by the fact that Chef Rajat knows more about Italian cusine than many Italians and that the maitre 'd ,Warren Kree( whom we have know since he was a waiter), was joining the group to lug food back to the ship so some of the stewards could have some time off. The icing on the cake was that because so many people went on tours that day it was a very small group. So we got taste different varieties of olives and vote on which ones the chef should purchase -- likewise with salami and parma ham.Unlike many prior shopping trips this one did not require a bus since the market was only a few blocks away. Afterward we all pitched in to help carry our treaure trove back to the ship. Then my husband and I spent the rest of the day exploring Livorno which is a charming little port with many canals lined with colorful boats. Hardly another tourist in the streets!

Archived