What's the best islands to snorkel out of these 5...?

marcaroh

Hi!

We're sailing on the Celebrity Summit December 10th and the itinerary includes Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten, and St. Thomas. DW and I love to snorkel, but don't want to snorkel in every port. We've enjoyed the Champagne reef in Dominica and the reefs on Cozumel, Tobago, etc...

Does anyone have an opinion or experience as to which of these 5 ports offers the best snorkeling and can you suggest a tour/ tour operator?

Thanks!

- Carl

We have snorkeled from the beach in St. Thomas. We are heading back there for a 12 day land vacation in three weeks. We will be island hopping through the USVI & BVI. I can let you know which beaches are the best for snorkeling. We will also be doing a couple day sails.

Happy Happy!

We have snorkeled from the beach in St. Thomas. We are heading back there for a 12 day land vacation in three weeks. We will be island hopping through the USVI & BVI. I can let you know which beaches are the best for snorkeling. We will also be doing a couple day sails.

Happy Happy!

Hi Dawn!

We're not going until December. It would be great if you could let me know what you discover... Are you planning any snorkeling on your day sails?

We love to snorkel too . Our experience has been in Barbados taking snorkel tours with turtles , ship wrecks or reefs . We use Capt Ron but there are many to choose from . St Lucia , Jalousie Beach at the base of the Pitons . St. Thomas , Sapphire beach was excellent . I'd give all three of these things high marks . We have yet to find good snorkeling in Antigua or St. Maarten but I'm sure it's there , we'll keep looking . So I'd say for ease and affordability It'd be the $2 bus to Sapphire and a cruise ship towel to sit on (they do rent chairs though ) .

Have Fun !! Ted

St Thomas had some of the best snorkling we have done. St John was also very good. St Lucia had good snorkling. We were at the Jalousie and snorkled when at Sandals from their boat.. We snorkled off the Silver Moon in Barbados and it was also good.

I have only snorkeled at St Thomas (out of the ones you've listed. Been to St Martin, but no snorkeling) and highly recommend Sapphire Beach. Wonderful beach, snorkeling by walking right off the beach into the water. TONS of coral reefs and fish following you everywhere. Iguanas walking all over the island and natural shade with grape trees. We didn't want to leave.

Here is my review on it along with pictures:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1280889

Hi!

We're sailing on the Celebrity Summit December 10th and the itinerary includes Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten, and St. Thomas. DW and I love to snorkel, but don't want to snorkel in every port. We've enjoyed the Champagne reef in Dominica and the reefs on Cozumel, Tobago, etc...

Does anyone have an opinion or experience as to which of these 5 ports offers the best snorkeling and can you suggest a tour/ tour operator?

Thanks!

- Carl

I thnk Trunk bay on St. Thomas/St John was the best cruise run snorkel we have been to.

I have only snorkeled at St Thomas (out of the ones you've listed. Been to St Martin, but no snorkeling) and highly recommend Sapphire Beach. Wonderful beach, snorkeling by walking right off the beach into the water. TONS of coral reefs and fish following you everywhere. Iguanas walking all over the island and natural shade with grape trees. We didn't want to leave.

Here is my review on it along with pictures:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1280889

Mitsugirly,

Thanks for the info. Your review and pics are awesome! Sapphire looks to be the exact thing we're looking for. I'm thinking about using the "dollar rides" to get there if I can get more info about them. Then maybe a taxi back to the port to make sure we get back in time.

I have snorkled in just about all of your ports of call....St. Thomas was beautiful clear water! Tons of fish and turtles! St. Maarten was a little murkier but we saw shipwrecks there, so interesting. Antigua had clear water but very uninteresting snorkelling and Barbados was beautiful with lots of turtles and great reefs right from beach but fewer fish. I hope this helps.

Cruising NCL Spirit Aug/11

Monarch of the Sea Mar/10

Adventure of the Sea Apr/05

Mitsugirly,

Thanks for the info. Your review and pics are awesome! Sapphire looks to be the exact thing we're looking for. I'm thinking about using the "dollar rides" to get there if I can get more info about them. Then maybe a taxi back to the port to make sure we get back in time.

You are very welcome. I read a lot of post on here on how to catch the dollar bus rides from K-Mart. I'm sure you'll find the perfect solution for you. Have a great time. :)

St Lucia , Jalousie Beach at the base of the Pitons

I've been snoekeling on all the islands you've listed & I'll vote the day at Jalousie Beach at the base of the Pitons in St. Lucia as the most amazing!

There are several great suggestions from other members, I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time which ever you choose!

Archived