Brussels/Bruges (Zeebrugge), Belgium -where is the port?

I see a cruise with Grand Princess stopping at Brussels/Bruges (Zeebrugge), Belgium, where is the port? I've been to Bruge and did not see any ocean or port, just near the river.

I see a cruise with Grand Princess stopping at Brussels/Bruges (Zeebrugge), Belgium, where is the port? I've been to Bruge and did not see any ocean or port, just near the river.

Zeebrugge is an industrial port approximately 10 miles from Bruges.

I see you mention Brussels in your posting. I know that some lines are using main cities as a reference for the port of call.

As mentionned Zeebrugge is the actual port of Brugge and is mainly ferry and container port. Situated at the coast. (fyi Bruges was in the middle age, attached to the sea through the "Zwin" but lost the acces to the sanding of it)

Brussels is in the center of the country. Even when Belgium is not big you have to reckon that you will need the train to get efficiently in the center of Brussels. By car roughly 120 km at at least 1h30 but probably much longer each way. (Certainly in the morning direction Brussels)

As mentioned, the port is about ten-plus miles from Bruges. There is a train station nearby, but only the brave (my wife would say reckless) would walk there; the road is industrial with no ped walkways. A taxi into Bruges is about $75. My thought is to arrange for a group taxi ahead of time (they have an ample number of 6-7 passenger vans, so the per person cost is pretty low). Brussels would be via train; if from the port, you'd change trains at the Bruges station. Bruges is easily-walked with a map, and is a don't miss stop. Lunch recommendation is to find a local recommendation for beer-steamed mussels (with a beer to wash them down, of course).

We were recently there on the Prinsendam. There were three shuttle busses available (at no charge to us) that took us in and dropped us off just across the street from the station.

We were able to take the 9:06 AM train to Bruge for 7.2 euros for the two of us for round trip tickets - no credit cards accepted. It is a little walk into the heart of Bruge, but well worth it. Unfortunately, it was Sunday and there was a light rain when we were there. However, there were a number of shops and restaurants open - (lots of chocolate shops available on Sunday, for sure).

I don't know if this shuttle service is always available for all ships, but it worked fine for us and quite a few others.

It's a beautiful town. Enjoy it however, you do it. And as I recall, the return trains run at 36 minutes after the hour. These were Sunday schedules and they may differ during the week.

As mentionned Zeebrugge is the actual port of Brugge and is mainly ferry and container port. Situated at the coast. (fyi Bruges was in the middle age, attached to the sea through the "Zwin" but lost the acces to the sanding of it)

Interesting you should mention the river Zwin because that is actually the source for the canals running through Brugge. Indeed the river centuries ago ended at the North Sea so ships could deliver goods destined for Brugge and visa versa.

But Brugge, in those days, was never at the sea. It was the little town of Sluis (now part of the Netherlands) that had the harbor and a long canal that made the connection to Brugge (and it still does). Sluis is indeed totally land-locked because of sillting of the whole region, but it is another interesting option to visit.

Zeebrugge, although meaning 'Sea Brugge', is a 'modern' addition to the history of Brugge.

Archived