Golden Gate Bridge from Pier 39 (Pier 27)

What is the best way to get from Pier 39 to the Golden Gate Bridge? I checked the San Francisco transit system and they want us to take 3 busses to get there. Are there any shuttles that go directly from either Pier 39 (or Pier 27, which is where we will be docked) to the Golden Gate Bridge?

Your best bet for a direct route would be a taxi. There are a lot of different kinds of tours leaving from the area in front of pier 39 and down along Jefferson, but I don't recall seeing any "straight to the bridge and back" type of shuttles. They're usually trying to cram in a lot more sights.

If I were doing this trip, I'd take the F line (which is historic street cars) from pier 27 west to the end of the line. Then I'd walk across Fort Mason and pick up the 28 bus there. Get a transfer when you get on the F line and it will be good on the 28. That's about a 1-mile walk, and it is over a hill, but my 83 year old mother-in-law does it pretty much daily, so it's not that hard and there are some nice views.

if you take the f line to the end, and just follow the curve of the waterfront west--towards the bridge, you can walk on the level past hyde street pier, all the fishing boats, past aquatic park and the curved beach and around the piers to ft mason. this is a flat walk. then in the western parkinglot of ft mason--you catch the 28. it stops at the plaza at the south end of the bridge. ask where to catch the bus going back (with construction in that area, it could change).

you might be able to do the whole thing for the $2 muni fare on a transfer.

you can also pick up a segway tour and ride a segway to the bridge I think

Thank you for your replies. We were hoping to do it without so much on and off but I guess we have no choice. I could easily walk there from Pier 27 but DH doesn't want to walk that far. Hum, maybe he could take public transportation and I could walk. LOL!! Probably not a good idea.

You are aware it's 4 1/2 miles one way, right? 9 miles round trip?

Yep. I powerwalk 4 miles a day (13 minute miles) on Saturday and Sunday so just walking 4-1/2 miles will be easy peasy. Thanks for the heads up though.

Thank you for your replies. We were hoping to do it without so much on and off but I guess we have no choice. I could easily walk there from Pier 27 but DH doesn't want to walk that far. Hum, maybe he could take public transportation and I could walk. LOL!! Probably not a good idea.

Well, the taxi option is still there for you. It's probably less than $20 each way.

The distance is a lot further than it looks! And as already mentioned is a 9 mile roundtrip--not 4 and a half. There are beautiful sights along the way, but I wouldn't walk it...and I walk everywhere. We were in SF last month and got some great photo's going under the bridge..........so amazing to be top deck on a ship and right under the bridge! Now that was a unique experience!!

We were in SF last month and got some great photo's going under the bridge..........so amazing to be top deck on a ship and right under the bridge! Now that was a unique experience!!

We went under the Bridge in September so I definitely know what you mean. If it's too much of a hassle to go to the Bridge, then we won't do it. We will probably just walk along the Wharf and enjoy the sites.

Sailing under the bridge was an amazing experience. I live here - drive over the bridge all the time ... but sailing underneath was an awesome experience.

Loved all the people waving at us. Felt like a throw back in time.

Enjoy!

Archived