how well do ipads work ok on QM2?

We2Cruzers

I have an ipad that I will be bringing on board - I will use it mostly for reading - but was wondering if there is any issue with using it for emails and checking news while on board. I have brought a laptop in the past and understand the charges are the same as when you use a Cunard computer - so assuming I would pay for the minutes used with ipad - my question is more along the lines of whether there are any issues with compatibility. I shouldn't think so but thought I'd ask in advance.

Thanks,

LK

I have an ipad that I will be bringing on board - I will use it mostly for reading - but was wondering if there is any issue with using it for emails and checking news while on board. I have brought a laptop in the past and understand the charges are the same as when you use a Cunard computer - so assuming I would pay for the minutes used with ipad - my question is more along the lines of whether there are any issues with compatibility. I shouldn't think so but thought I'd ask in advance.

Thanks,

LK

Hi

Our Ipad worked as well as a laptop on the QM2 at Xmas. The ship is now using apple products on the whole and they even have some classes on it.

Of course the speed is only as good as the connection which is variable.

The wifi charges are the same whatever you use.

Julie:)

I always take my IPad ashore and pop into somewhere which does free access. Unless there a lot of days at sea, I don't see the point in paying for it.

It would be nice to find a way to get about 5 mins free access a day though.

It would be nice to find a way to get about 5 mins free access a day though.

Travel with Cunard a few more times and you'll end up with more internet time than you'll need. :)

On a similar note does anyone have experience of using an iPod on QE?

Travel with Cunard a few more times and you'll end up with more internet time than you'll need. :)

On a similar note does anyone have experience of using an iPod on QE?

Will be going on her in July Malcolm, so I will let you know, should be the same as the ipad or iphone. :)

All devices work well on all three Queens - iPad, iPod and iPhone. Even Kindle downloads. The only problem we notice is that the speed varies on each ship - QV being the slowest and most frustrating, QE and QM2 fairly fast.

How does the billing work for the IPad and IPhone on board? Does an AT&T customer pay the AT&T international data plan charges and the Cunard Internet charges; or just one of the bills?

Alohaaa

How does the billing work for the IPad and IPhone on board? Does an AT&T customer pay the AT&T international data plan charges and the Cunard Internet charges; or just one of the bills?

Alohaaa

If you are connected to the Cunard wireless network, then you will pay the normal Cunard rates.

If you are connected via the local mobile provider, then you will pay AT&T rates.

Get ashore, find a bar with free wireless.

Alohaaa

Just read your question again.

If you are connected to the Cunard wireless network, then that is the only one you will pay for.

Rosler,

OK. I understand the IPad would be billed the same as a laptop computer.

What about an IPhone? AT& T has intentional billing rates for data or internet and world traveler roaming charges for long distance phone charges. If I turn on my IPhone on board will I be billed by AT&T and Cunard for phone and internet charges?

Alohaa

Rosler,

OK. I understand the IPad would be billed the same as a laptop computer.

What about an IPhone? AT& T has intentional billing rates for data or internet and world traveler roaming charges for long distance phone charges. If I turn on my IPhone on board will I be billed by AT&T and Cunard for phone and internet charges?

Alohaa

If your iPhone is connected to the Cunard wireless network you will not be charged by AT&T. It is the same principle as the laptop.

You Ned to do a cost analysis between wireless and your data plan. Bear in mind that any phone calls via a satellite will be very, very expensive. If using the satellite for email or surfing the net it will be very, very slow and expensive.

Alohaaa

Hello,

if you are using an iPad 3G or an iPhone you may encounter some hassles:

It's OK to be connected through WIFI where you will be charged by Cunard with the known rates. If you are connected through GSM network which works on QM2 (I don't know if this works on QE or QV), very expensive rates for calling and data will be charged. I don't think that these fees are covered by the international data plan. Please call AT&T to avoid expensive surprises.

Best is to switch of the international data roaming before embarking the ship.

Frank

We found that 2 am ship time and 6 am ship time was the speediest time to connect with our ipad in our room. Old people are clogging the service after 8 am and the crew is busy with to with mother at home after midnight.

David

We found that 2 am ship time and 6 am ship time was the speediest time to connect with our ipad in our room. Old people are clogging the service after 8 am and the crew is busy with to with mother at home after midnight.

David

Thank you - makes total sense and an inspired tip!

Archived