formal nights

ssw4894

First time on Princess and I need to know, on Formal Night can you eat in the other dining rooms or the buffet without suiting up? Stuffing DH into a tux is not an option and he doesn't have a suit that still fits him, and I don't want to eat in the cabin if I don't have to. He does have a blazer he wore to son's wedding a few years back--might fit, might be too big. Will have to do for casual. HAL formal nites lets men show up in a blazer and tie.

First time on Princess and I need to know, on Formal Night can you eat in the other dining rooms or the buffet without suiting up? Stuffing DH into a tux is not an option and he doesn't have a suit that still fits him, and I don't want to eat in the cabin if I don't have to. He does have a blazer he wore to son's wedding a few years back--might fit, might be too big. Will have to do for casual. HAL formal nites lets men show up in a blazer and tie.

Hi,

1st time on Princess for us too this coming Saturday and it's 1st time we will not be bringing the gladrags. We want a relaxing cruise after an excursion heavy cruise in the Red Sea in April visiting big sites in Jordan (Petra) and Egypt (Pyramids and Sphinx and Valley of Kings).

You can dress casually and eat in Horizon Court or snack in International Cafe.

Berwyn

Recently some have experienced a trend towards formal wear in the specialty restaurants which also have a fee. Some are told it's formal attire yet are welcomed in smart casual clothing. Since there's currently no standardized clothing enforcement, you could try the Crown Grill or Sabatini's & probably not have a problem in smart casual on formal night. If so, there's the buffet, grill, pizza, IC or room service. Hope you have a great 1st experience on Princess...they provide the type of cruise that we enjoy. :)

Your husband will be welcomed in the main dining room in a blazer and nice slacks. Most men will probably be in a dark suit and tie. Some will wear a tux, and others will come in just slacks and a nice shirt.

If you prefer to stay casual, the Horzion Court buffet, International Cafe, or Trident Grill poolside are all options for you. Oh, and of course, room service is available...but unless you're in a full suite, the menu is limited.

Wherever you choose to dine, enjoy!

DH and I opted on our last cruise (last month on the CB) to not bring formal clothes for the first time. We flew on Jet Blue and took advantage of the first bag flies free and didn't feel like bringing a garment bag with the suits and dresses (or having to pay for it). I have to admit, I thought I'd really miss the formal nights since I've never done a cruise without doing them. But, I didn't really miss them that much. I definitely won't do it on every cruise as it is fun to play dress up since we don't get too many opportunities in the real world to do it. But I'm contemplating not doing formal nights again on our December cruise later this year, especially since we're flying on Delta and have to pay luggage fees.

For the formal nights, we hit the buffet one night and did Sabatini's the other night. On the night we did Sabatini's we did dress up somewhat. DH wore nice slacks, dress shirt, and a tie and I wore a nice pants and a top, but they were not our normal formal wear. There were plenty of others wearing the same. But do be advised that there does not seem to be a clear answer on the specialty restaurants and formal nights. It seems to differ from ship to ship whether you are allowed in a specialty restaurant on formal night in non-formal attire.

We just got off the CB last weekend - both DH and FIL wore blazers, dress pants, shirts and ties both formal nughts to the MDR and there was no problem. The 1st formal night seemed to be a little dressier - on the 2nd, I saw men in dress pants, shirts and ties with no jackets. We did have anytime dining.

Archived