NCL Door Decorations

SisterSam

I've read some older posts, but none recently. I wondered if folks still decorate their doors and what they usually use as pictures, etc.

We are heading to Alaska next week, so I'm trying to decide if it is something I should consider.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

It says in the booklet to leave the decorations inside the cabins.

so...no, you don't put things on the outside. I didn't see anything other than the occasionaly post it note saying where people were.

HAVE FUN!!!!!!

Not disagreeing just asking. What booklet says this?

We cruised on the Jewel the last 2 years. We always put up a door decoration with our CC name(s) on it. Usually we get something tropical from the dollar store (parrot/flamingo/palm tree). We also put a decoration on the sliding balcony door. AND yes, we always remove it before we leave, leaving not trace behind. We have never been asked to take it down nor was it removed.

I organized our meet and greet and there was a letter in my cabin when we arrived re-confirming the time and place and requesting that no decorations be put on doors.

We had that same letter on the Star a couple of years ago. Our group had made door decorations (magnetic) and didn't have a problem with them. They were on our doors for 14 days. Cruise Critic even offers door signs.

I organized our meet and greet and there was a letter in my cabin when we arrived re-confirming the time and place and requesting that no decorations be put on doors.

I bet this is similar to enforcing the rules about saving pool chairs. NCL requests that you don't place things on the doors and not to save pool chairs, but is not willing to enforce the rules and have upset passengers on board. I don't agree.... but I get it.

I bet this is similar to enforcing the rules about saving pool chairs. NCL requests that you don't place things on the doors and not to save pool chairs, but is not willing to enforce the rules and have upset passengers on board. I don't agree.... but I get it.

Frankly I didn't even pass the info along at the meet and greet.

Since there reasoning from my research, appears to be for fire safety. I really can't see them ,making a big deal about this if it didn't get out of hand. As I'm sure all companies put some policies in place just so if they need to enforce it they can, not because they intend to enforce it. I'm sure they have much bigger issues to deal with than someone having a magnetic "happy birthday" on their door.

Chair hogs are a whole other issue since it does impact other cruisers. Thats what I feel the difference is.

I think the issue is when folks have streamers and/or balloons, etc. hanging from their doors. But magnetic sign isn't going to be a hazard.

I am trying to understand the hazard issue, specifically related to fire??? If NCL were so concerned about this being a fire hazard, how can one rationalize allowing smoking in a cabin? OK... Back to the topic of Door Decor. I think if there is no attempt to limit the decor, the balloons, streamers, paper, hats, pictures etc... could get out of hand. And then let NCC try to monitor the content of what is acceptable. Can you imagine what some folks would deem appropiate and what some folks would deem inapropiate. The more I ponder this... the more I agree with No Decorations.

I am trying to understand the hazard issue, specifically related to fire??? If NCL were so concerned about this being a fire hazard, how can one rationalize allowing smoking in a cabin? OK... .

LOL Because if you read my post I state "fire safety" Not meaning someones streamers or balloon is going to combust but in case of fire the hazard that streamers or balloons may cause in people trying to evacuate their cabins to get down a ship's very narrow hallways.

Come on ShipShape you are intellegent and logical, you really could have figure that one out yourself.

I had 3 nice Hawaiian designs that I put on our door with magnets but was disappointed when someone took 2 of them the last night :-( I had planned to put them in my carry on the final morning but they were gone.

I have used those gel designs on our balcony door before - they are colorful, cheap, and easy to pack.

Not disagreeing just asking. What booklet says this?

ok, correcting. I THOUGHT it was in the book, but isn't. I think it's in the documents....all the regulations, etc.

That...and online at their website.

ETA: It's on the Freestyle Daily every day as well.....

"Overly decorated stateroom doors can pose a fire hazard, so please keep your decorations inside your room."

---------------------------------

Officially the Pearl says, "Overly decorated stateroom doors can pose a fire hazard, so please keep your decorations inside your room."

On a recent sailing I only saw one door decorated (with a simple American flag), and then it was gone the next day - so perhaps they are enforcing this.

However, there was no mention of balconies (which I consider to be "inside" my stateroom!). We put up balcony decorations while in port.

I am trying to understand the hazard issue, specifically related to fire??? If NCL were so concerned about this being a fire hazard, how can one rationalize allowing smoking in a cabin? OK... Back to the topic of Door Decor. I think if there is no attempt to limit the decor, the balloons, streamers, paper, hats, pictures etc... could get out of hand. And then let NCC try to monitor the content of what is acceptable. Can you imagine what some folks would deem appropiate and what some folks would deem inapropiate. The more I ponder this... the more I agree with No Decorations.

that crossed my mind. Personally, I think they should not allow smoking..but, not my call.

ok, correcting. I THOUGHT it was in the book, but isn't. I think it's in the documents....all the regulations, etc.

That...and online at their website.

ETA: It's on the Freestyle Daily every day as well.....

"Overly decorated stateroom doors can pose a fire hazard, so please keep your decorations inside your room."

---------------------------------

Officially the Pearl says, "Overly decorated stateroom doors can pose a fire hazard, so please keep your decorations inside your room."

On a recent sailing I only saw one door decorated (with a simple American flag), and then it was gone the next day - so perhaps they are enforcing this.

However, there was no mention of balconies (which I consider to be "inside" my stateroom!). We put up balcony decorations while in port.

Nope not in any of my freestyles from Feb, but its ok i was just questioning what booklet thats all. I can see their point so as I said I wasn't agruing just curious, that I had missed something. Thanks I had seen that Ask & Answer from another cruiser on their web site.

To decorate or not to decorate? That is the question? And it is always a heated debate between those that do and those that do not.

I am one who does decorate. We put a magnetic 8x10 collage on the doors. In-Laws was thank you for taking us on the cruise. Newly weds (one year married) also got a themed one. The rest got a collage or a couple of fish with magnets. Parents each had a post it so kids (college and HS age) and parents knew where everyone was. It made it easier for everyone to find their rooms. Only thing that was occationally stolen was the markers to write with. Easy up and down because everything was a magnet.

As always there are the few that go to extremes and ruin it for the others. Too much of anything is not good. I think IMHO that as long as it is tastefully done and makes you happy - decorate. If you choose not to decorate that is your choice as well. Niether side should force their opinions on the others - instead we should join together and attack the over decorators!! :eek: :D

To decorate or not to decorate? That is the question? And it is always a heated debate between those that do and those that do not.

I think IMHO that as long as it is tastefully done and makes you happy - decorate. If you choose not to decorate that is your choice as well. Niether side should force their opinions on the others - instead we should join together and attack the over decorators!! :eek: :D

This is the first time in the last 7 months (since I've been back on CC) I have even seen this subject come up. And I really am not seeing any heated debates going on in this thread.

Although I'm in agreement to each his/her own. I could care less what my fellow passenger had on his/her door.

Archived